Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 02-04-21, 04:35 PM  
lavna

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelePA View Post
It's been a crazy stressful week. My daughter was supposed to have surgery Monday. As you know lots of anxiety here for both her and I. I got a call last week saying our insurance still didn't preapprove the procedure. Long story short, our mail system has been a nightmare. I'm still getting Christmas stuff in February. So the paperwork still hasn't arrived from NYU. We tried calling and reaching out to a multitude of people to get it expedited by faxing or emailing the information. They absolutely refused saying it must come in the mail. I seriously don't even understand why this day and age. So we said what if it's Fed-Exed overnight. Well you can do that but it will still take 4-6 weeks for approval. I want to scream! So as of right now, surgery is postponed. NYU said they have never dealt with such craziness. And this is Blue Cross. Unbelievable!!! Hoping to have more information by tomorrow. My daughter changed school, work and softball plans in preparation. I'm hoping it's sooner rather than later. Just gives more time to worry.
I'm sorry Chele for your daughter's change of plans at the last minute. As if it wasn't already stressful! I hope it gets resolved quickly.
lavna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-21, 04:40 PM  
ChelePA

Thanks everyone for the kind words regarding my daughter. NYU just called and they have to send all the paperwork back in again. Yes through our crazy slow mail system. They told the medical assistant they only received pictures and no clinical information. She said I’m the one that sent the packet in with everything. Can you believe it! The medical assistant is losing her mind. So I think we’re delayed at least a month.

Manleym... I will join you for the Fun Friday workout. I may be tripping over my two left feet. Looks like some tricky choreography. Hopefully I’ll catch on quickly.
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-21, 05:49 PM  
horusosiris

Happy Birthday Cataddict. I hope that you are having a wonderful day today!
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-21, 05:52 PM  
horusosiris

Manelym- I will join you for Fun Friday.

Chel- sorry about all of the delays with your daughter's surgery. NYU is a great medical center!
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-21, 06:54 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Happy Thursday, Watulans!!

So....due to some scheduling issues, I actually had to do Mess 3, Week 4, Shoulders, Biceps, and Triceps today instead of tomorrow which means...I'M AN STS GRAD!!! I made it, y'all!!! Doin' the happy dance, doin' the happy dance! Hope you're warmed up, Fanofladyvols, FN2 and I are gonna eagerly await our cowbell celebration! I'm so happy I had to edit my signature, hah!

And we want to hear about your birthday, FN2. Hope there's cake!!!

ChelePA, what a freaking nightmare!!! I'm so incredibly sorry. As if the surgery isn't stressful enough, to deal with all the logistics and waiting more?? UG. Hugs to you and your daughter (and kisses to Winston).

Manleym, I don't think I'm quite as far into Poldark yet but it does seem George is, um, going all sack of hammers, so I'm interested to see what happens. I also wasn't aware this is the last season....wahhhh!!!!

KateTT, we did PRS2 at the same time, yay!!

Garrie, you have such a wonderful teacher's attitude. Also, I wanted to ask you and KateTT and Horusosiris, did you find returning to familiar workouts after STS was a totally different experience strength wise or not really since they're different workouts that hadn't been done in a while? I'm not sure if that made sense. I'm trying to figure out what to focus on next and am leaning towards more endurance/metabolic stuff for a while...I'm thinking those workouts might be more challenging now that I've been so focused on heavy lifting!

Bee, you can't talk me OUT of Inner Dimension, hah!! Not possible!

Nathalie
, thanks for cheering us STS peeps on all this time too!

Waves all the way around. I'd better post before I get errors, sigh. Stay fierce, Watulans!

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-21, 07:29 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Kate, yes, working out always makes me feel good, but sometimes.... it makes me feel GRRReat! (channeling my inner Tony the Tiger). Love hearing about your workouts and especially your enthusiasm for Party Rockin' Step 2. I was also surprised to see I could follow that choreography. I'll have to pull that out one of these Fridays -- both of the Parties -- but yes, manleym, tomorrow I will be doing Totally Hot Cardio with the rest of the Fun Friday party! I'm a little afraid of the choreography.... is it tough? And you may have seen in the Caroline thread that I finally checked out the Heather channel.... I'll definitely be trying her workouts. I really like the way Caroline previews the next move and it doesn't look like Heather does that (well, not in my sampling of one anyway), so that's a bummer, but if the workouts are a little more doable that's probably where I should "start".

kittybug!!! Woot Woot Woot!!! Imagine hearing the sounds of sirens and Pomp and Circumstance, along with Linda's cowbell, all at once! Congrats!!! I remember people wondering what to do after STS and I honestly cannot remember what I did -- I have it written in a calendar somewhere. I am sure I got stronger from STS -- I know my physique changed, but honestly, I don't think it changed my lifting habits all that much.
Old 02-04-21, 08:13 PM  
Garrie A.

Today's workout:
-The Firm: Classic Parts Upper Body

This isn't a bad upper body workout by any means, although it isn't my favorite. It's a bit too random. But I love all the back work in it (where some people whine about all the back work).

ChelePA: I'm so sorry! Sending you (((HUGS))) and positive vibes.

Cataddict: HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Hope you had an amazing day.

Kittybug: CONGRATS on completing your first round of STS! The short answer to your question: a little of both. First off, I am able to use heavier weights (not STS heavy) in my other workouts. But bear in mind, every workout structures things differently.
Since now you've been used to the timed rest periods in STS, your other strength workouts will feel harder. I remember I decided to try the Gym Styles after my first round. My initial thought was, "where are the rest periods?" The rest periods were 30 seconds or less in those workouts. So I couldn't lift as heavy as I could in STS. I'd recommend alternating periods of lighter/endurance/metabolic lifting with periods of heavier strength/hypertrophy lifting. You could even alternate weeks. Depends on your goals. I'm looking forward to another round of STS, although I don't know when that will be. Maybe later this year. I have my favorite workouts I want to return to, and new-to-me workouts I need to go through. Plus I'm wanting to do a round of Body Beast with my own mods. (Yes, I have a problem.)

Bee: Totally Hot Cardio isn't too hard at all choreography-wise. There are also modifiers who don't do all the flips and turns with Christi and her "front row flippers." Awww, I love Volume 2! I attribute some of my shoulder development to doing that workout a lot back when I was a Firmie. To me, it's the hardest of the original Classics. BUTT I go back and forth between 1 and 2 being the hardest. 3 is up there, too.

Kate: I agree! Plus, working out helps keep my mental sanity during these tough times. PRS 2 is so much fun, although I (of course!) am more partial to PRS1 with all the dancy choreography and spins.

Waves all around!
--------------------------------------------------------
CLX 6/19-9/19
STS Grad 11/19-2/20, 9/20-12/20

Current Focus:
Retro Rotation!!

Check out my blog by clicking on the "Home Page" link under my profile name.
Garrie A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-21, 10:52 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Hi all!

Thanks for all the birthday wishes! It means a lot to me. DH had to work so I spent the day with My Three Sons. Also did two loads of laundry. I know you all want to party with me! DH did bring home a fancy chocolate raspberry layer cake with whole raspberries and shaved chocolate on the top from Wegman's. YUMMY! Sorry, no sugar peeps, but it was delicious.

For my birthday workout I planned to do about 30 minutes of Kat's Advanced Step #9 after Chele's rave, but it was just so darn fun I did the whole thing! I really like Kat's workouts and creativity in her choreography. She does a good job at cuing and I was able to pick all of it up pretty quickly and the music is great!

FN1, good for you for finishing STS early! WOO HOO!!! I will post when I finish so FOLV can be ready for Cowbell Mania. I understand what you were asking as far as what kinds of workouts to do after STS. I kind of was doing what Garrie suggested before STS, so it looks like I am probably on the
right track. Oh, and I giggled at your expression "going all sack of hammers." That's a new one to me.

Garrie, I agree with what you said about eating properly during STS. I actually was less hungry in general this time around with only a few days that I felt like I couldn't eat enough to satisfy my appetite. I made sure I ate a high protein snack after I finished and drank water until I just couldn't drink any more! As I look back at the times I was hungry I didn't do one of those things. I'm not sure how I plan to do my weight training from now on. I don't really expect to lift as heavy as I am doing during this phase of STS, but I would like to maintain as best I can. I see your point about doing the undulating workout, but I'll have time to consider it before it's even on my radar. I guess it depends on what my goal is.

Chele, so sorry about the surgery delay! I'm sure it's tough after being mentally prepared and planning your schedule around it and then having to do it again when the new date is set. My BIL is supposed to have knee surgery and it's been postponed twice now so far and he doesn't have a new date scheduled yet. What a frustration!

manleym, the 27th was my dad's birthday. Good day to be born! And I'm with you about not getting rid of workouts since maybe I didn't like it before but if I try again I might really like. At least that's what I tell myself.

Kate, I so agree with feeling better after working out! I was a little bummed out for awhile today, but after I did the Kat workout I felt so much better, mentally and physically! Yes, must be those endorphins! Glad you are enjoying 4 x 4! That's next on my list, after taking a week off after STS. I started that rotation but didn't complete it. I think it was because I got tired of doing the same workout for too long? I really like Paul, and if others are doing a rotation of 4 x 4 changing the order to mix it up, I am all in.

I'm going to join in tomorrow for Totally Hot Cardio after I finish STS. I bought the DVD after watching it on You Tube which I'm glad since it is clearer. bee, you won't have a problem picking up the choreography. I think Christi cues well.

horusosiris, Kim and Nathalie, thanks for the encouragement through STS! I can't believe tomorrow is the last workout!

Waving to all!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-21, 06:26 AM  
ChelePA

Cataddict...my daughter works at Wegmans. Very yummy baked goods. Your cake sounds delicious. So glad Kat's step video boosted your mood. Did you ever watch the show My Three Sons? I'm sure you get that all the time. I really liked that sitcom. I completely understand--Not the same celebration with Covid. I have a big birthday coming up next month...my husband and daughter were trying to make plans with friends and family coming together outside. I said nope...I would feel terrible if we spread the virus. I know chances are smaller outside but it's not worth it to me. Plus it's cold here in March. We would all be huddling together around a firepit.

So last night, I previewed Christi's tutorial for the dance moves in Totally Hot Cardio. Even with her going at a slow pace and counting it out, I was tripping over my 2 left feet. So I took Garrie's advice today and was focused on the back dancers. Oh my...I seriously have no coordination and rhythm. I definitely could have been on America's Funniest Videos with this one. I was all over the place and then when she put it all together...well let's just say it wasn't pretty. I had a good laugh. Perfect for Fun Friday. Thanks for taking me out of my comfort zone.

Now if we decide on Party Rockin Step 1 or 2 for Fun Friday in the future...that's right up my alley. Love the variety. One more dancey, other more athletic. And great premixes combining both.

Edited to Add: Since I had time at lunch and felt like I didn't get a complete workout since I couldn't keep pace with Christi...haha, I decided to add on Cathe Live Metabolic Upper Body. If you choose the right weights, it really gets the heart pumping. I absolutely loved this one! It was fun, fast paced and had a nice cardio effect!
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-21, 01:44 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Happy Fun Friday!!

cataddict, sounds like it was a pretty typical pandemic birthday.... ie, a normal day. Except for that cake -- wow that sounds amazing! And no need to apologize! I'll live vicariously. Interesting that you seem to have figured out your key to STS -- if I remember correctly, I was in the Sore, Tired, and Starved camp.

I had a blast with Totally Hot Cardio! Thanks for making it happen, manleym! Chele, I'm sure I looked outrageous, too! I kept up fairly well, definitely watching the women in back, but sometimes doing a hybrid of the two rows -- just no turns, for sure. As I was doing it I had the feeling that I was getting in about half the steps (moves) that they were all doing. But it was fun! And wow, that Christi! She is amazing with the cueing and singing while she's giving out all those ham instructions. So funny. I definitely felt worked after and did not need a Cathe add-on! But I did add on some yoga..... "Free Your Mind and Your A** Will Follow". A lot of flowing movement in the poses and then about a two minute shake/dance it out at the end. Different, and fun, too. And then I did 45 minutes weeding..... my garden is a mess!

Oh, yes, I loved My Three Sons! I guess coming from a family of girls it was great insight into boys.

Have a great Friday, everyone!!

Tags
watulan check-in