Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-19, 08:15 PM  
primrosecat

Bewildered

If this topic is not permitted, please delete. This is a health question. Recently I was diagnosed with polymyalgia rheumatica. I have never even heard of this. I was hoping that if anyone else has it, or knows someone who has it, they could enlighten me. I was put on steroids, but had to stop the treatment because of side effects. Now I'm just trying to cope.
primrosecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-19, 10:44 PM  
bergame
VF Supporter

My husband has PMR, with his main symptoms being stiffness and aches through hips/back and shoulders, leaving him with greatly reduced range of motion. He was treated successfully with steroids, but after weaning off the steroids about a year ago, the symptoms returned. He is now seeing a rheumatologist (previous treatment plan was through his primary care doc) who sees a lot of cases of PMR and is better equipped to help him.

I’m sorry to hear that you’re dealing with this. Has your doctor suggested an alternative to steroids? Lots of stretching is one thing that my husband does pretty religiously to mitigate the stiffness. And he has continued with his running and weightlifting; despite the exercise challenges presented by PMR, he still feels better when he is active. I hope you find a path forward with the help of your doctor.
bergame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-19, 07:45 AM  
dianestjohn

I know someone who has PMR, she woke up suddenly one morning and was in horrible pain, she was really frightened until she got a diagnosis. She has fully recovered I think but it took awhile. I know when she was first diagnosed she changed her diet radically to non-inflammatory food, I remember we went to lunch nd she only ate strawberries. Not sure if she was put on steroids and if so how much of the improvement was from steroids and how much from her food choices. I remember her doctor told her stress can trigger or exacerbate the symptoms - she had had several very stressful events - so part of the advice was to slow down, scale back, and, in the doctor’s word, “don’t think too much” 😀 Hope you feel better soon.
dianestjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-19, 08:01 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I'm sorry you are dealing with this. I am not familiar with this condition at all but have had psoriatic arthritis for a very long time. Shortly after being diagnosed, I read something that gave me my two-step process for dealing with it:

1. Find a GOOD doctor, one that knows what they are doing.
2. Make your pain their problem.

I'd really encourage you to try to find a good doctor. It's not an easy thing sometimes. I've had good results getting referrals from other doctors.

Anyway, just some thoughts. Hang in there!

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-19, 01:33 PM  
DawnP
VF Supporter

Support from SmartPatients forums

I'm sorry to hear about your news.

I highly recommend going to SmartPatients.com and creating an account for their online forums.

There are lots of folks and even nurses and a few doctors who post there who can provide you with lots of advice.

They've been a true life saver for me for the past 4 years.

I wish you all the best.
Old 10-20-19, 02:01 PM  
tamib

My friend's mother has PMR, took her 6 months to get diagnosed, and has been on steroids about 6 months now. She is doing better but definitely not her old self, she has had to scale back a lot.

Tammy
tamib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-19, 03:03 PM  
primrosecat

First of all let me thank every one of you. It helps knowing how other people deal with this, and your suggestions are things I can do. I feel for those who are dealing with this or other health issues you've mentioned. The website is definitely something I will look up, too. I appreciate your help.
primrosecat is offline   Reply With Quote