Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-19-19, 09:48 AM  
videofit

What is the trick to walking on crutches?

I broke my ankle yesterday, went to Urgent care (wearing heavy boot now),had xrays which were unclear so doc ref'd me to orthopedist later today for further evaluation.

Was shown how to walk on crutches but I find myself falling backwards or leaning to injured side when I stop moving forward and try to stand straight on my good foot. Should I swing bad foot forward or backward for balance? Place crutches farther apart? More or less forward? One farther front and one in back?

Also what is the best way to go up and down stairs? I hopped up on my good leg while hanging onto the railing so am thinking to do the same going down, .

When there is no railing like going up or down just one step to change levels -- my apartment walkway -- what is the trick?

I had help yesterday but no one today unless someone walks by. Have doc appt.

By the way, guess which workout I'll be doing for weeks?
https://www.bodyelectrictv.com/produ...-stretching-4/
Old 06-19-19, 10:21 AM  
alisoncooks

When I was on crutches after ACL surgery, this is how I moved:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vPsA7SyuKZo

Key was not sagging, with the crutch digging in my armpit, but rather strongly pushing down with my hands (which did get sore!)

Best wishes for a quick recovery!
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-19, 10:41 AM  
videofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
When I was on crutches after ACL surgery, this is how I moved:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vPsA7SyuKZo

Key was not sagging, with the crutch digging in my armpit, but rather strongly pushing down with my hands (which did get sore!)

Best wishes for a quick recovery!
Great video. Thanks so much!
Old 06-19-19, 11:04 AM  
Dorothy J
VF Supporter

videofit--no experience with crutches, but wanted to say what a bummer about your ankle!! Wishing you swift & easy healing!

"You want to go into life feeling great, feeling strong, and as you get older, feeling even stronger!" Gin Miller
Dorothy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-19, 11:38 AM  
Hazel Porter

You could also consider getting a knee scooter for getting around. I used one after foot surgery last year and was so glad I did. You usually can rent them from medical supply shops. Your orthopedist or a local podiatrist might have a list of providers too.

Obviously, you can't navigate stairs on them, but in public spaces there should be ramps or elevators. At home, I just sat on the bottom step and pulled myself up step by step, like doing a tricep dip.

Hope you heal quickly!
Old 06-19-19, 01:04 PM  
geojill

After I tore my calf muscle, the crutches made me so sore I ended up renting a knee scooter. It was way better than the crutches.
Old 06-19-19, 05:41 PM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

((((Hugs)))) and good luck for a quick recovery!

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-19, 06:00 PM  
Gams

The last time I broke my leg, they gave me crutches and I hated them. They felt so unstable and I kept thinking someone would walk by and kick one of my crutches out from underneath me. I had my husband get me a walker instead. I liked it much, much better and we decorated it with a rear view mirror and a bicycle horn. Dump the crutches - get a walker!
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-19, 01:30 AM  
Getfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
The last time I broke my leg, they gave me crutches and I hated them. They felt so unstable and I kept thinking someone would walk by and kick one of my crutches out from underneath me. I had my husband get me a walker instead. I liked it much, much better and we decorated it with a rear view mirror and a bicycle horn. Dump the crutches - get a walker!
When I ruptured my Achilles I also had a difficult time navigating with crutches. I found a knee scooter and it gave me a sense of freedom. I also picked one up for my best friend when she broke her foot and it was a blessing. You can find them on OfferUp for around 50-75. Some insurance company provide them for free.
Old 06-20-19, 03:35 PM  
videofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by geojill View Post
After I tore my calf muscle, the crutches made me so sore I ended up renting a knee scooter. It was way better than the crutches.
A woman in my doc's waiting room told me about the Freedom Leg. I'd worry about balance though, at least initially. Maybe use one crutch initially. I need to see if insurance covers it
https://www.freedomleg.com/

Tags
crutches, foot injury, injuries, injury