Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-19, 10:36 AM  
alisoncooks

Yoga + strength add-ons

I'm currently obsessed with my Jane Adams DVDs. I'm yoga-ing () every day and feeling good! I want to include some strength add-ons, maybe 10-15 minutes, since the yoga DVDs are shorter and gentle.

If you've done something like this, how did you arrange your week? Was the yoga just yoga (and separate) or did you try and combine UB weights with yoga that had an UB focus? And what would make good add-ons?

I have Gilad Express out as an option. Suzanne Bowen's WW DVD. Maybe Lauren Brooks's SUAT as an option... Ooh, maybe the newer Leslie that has 20-min UB/LB walks (don't have it...maybe it's on Mary's sale).

Any thoughts or suggestions?
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-19, 11:14 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Tapout's Mike Karpenko has several good 10 minute strength and mobility add-ons posted to Youtube. Here's his one for upper body:
https://youtu.be/VBjlSX7zNUg

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-19, 12:25 PM  
MsThistlebottom

Similar situation here. All I've been doing lately is walking outside and Jane Adams yoga, and I promised myself that I'd start adding on strength training this week. I recently reacquired all the FitPrime/KickButt parts DVDs and plan to work through all of them. Maybe start with the 4 Way Mini Fusion or the 4 Day Quickie and end with 6 Day Trainer/Slam, since those are longer.

If you have any of the Prevention Fit in 10 workouts, that might be an option as well. Or sections from Tamilee's I Want That Body! Kathy Kaehler's Total Body Workout has 10-minute sections.

My plan (admittedly, half-baked and untried) is to do yoga and a short strength training session every day, and then maybe alternate yoga and longer strength training days. I tend to be long on ideas and short on execution, but I think this is a doable option.

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-19, 12:56 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I've also been loving my Jane Adams workouts.

I can't do too much strength training yet (frozen shoulder issues) but I do periodically add shorter segments on the days that aren't so painful.

Cindy Whitmarsh 10 Minute Solution Total Toning
Jane Adams Yoga for Beginners (Arm Strength)
Jane Adams Balance and Strength (Upper Body Strength)
Kelly Coffee Meyer Start Here
Petra Kolber Streamlined Strength
Gilad Strength in Motion or Tone Every Inch
Core Fusion Pure Abs and Arms
Tamilee Webb I Want that Body Arms

I'm sure there are plenty of options out there to mix and match to make short add-on's to your workout

April Focus:
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-19, 10:09 PM  
alisoncooks

Well, it sounds like I'm in good company!

Thanks for all the recs. There were some oldies there that I'll use (that Cindy Whitmarsh 10 MS Target Toning will be perfect!), as well as some I'm unfamiliar with.

I'm still not sure the best way to schedule it all... I think I'll just aim to do yoga + something else each day. I doubt I need to worry about overtraining or anything (not with what I'm doing).
Old 04-22-19, 11:25 PM  
YetAnotherDeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsThistlebottom View Post
My plan (admittedly, half-baked and untried) is to do yoga and a short strength training session every day, and then maybe alternate yoga and longer strength training days. I tend to be long on ideas and short on execution, but I think this is a doable option.
Half-baked and untried, but what I have tried without success for several months. I'm trying to get back into an exercise routine and I want to do a Classical Stretch and Margaret Richard episode most days, but something always seems to interfere. I hope you have better luck.
_____
YADeb
YetAnotherDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-19, 09:47 AM  
aliskina

I have been doing Jane Adams Standing Balance Level 3 (10 min) daily as my warm up before AWT type of workouts like Jessica Smith, Erin O'Brien, Angie Miller etc. on M-W-F and Hiit/cardio type on T/Th
aliskina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-19, 10:42 AM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliskina View Post
I have been doing Jane Adams Standing Balance Level 3 (10 min) daily as my warm up before AWT type of workouts like Jessica Smith, Erin O'Brien, Angie Miller etc. on M-W-F and Hiit/cardio type on T/Th
Great idea. What DVD is that on?
Old 04-23-19, 10:46 AM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
There is a Level 3 on Yoga for Seniors but it's 55 minutes (combo standing/seated.) But, it's also divided into six segments, so can be easily broken down.

There are also some ~20 minute standing practices on Yoga for Beginners.

April Focus:
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-19, 10:59 AM  
aliskina

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
https://www.amazon.com/Improve-Balan...gateway&sr=8-5

You eventually progress to Level 3, but if your balance is good already, you can jump there and its shorter then lower levels. Works great for my purposes.
aliskina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
great body guaranteed, jane adams, short strength workouts, standing yoga