Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-11-18, 06:35 AM  
sherry7899

I still prefer "real " books over the kindle any day. Our house is wall to wall cds....and vinyl. (thousands of each....what can I say ) We will never convert over all our music. It would take years. We have a ton of dvds also. (in addition to my exercise ones-movies and music)

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-18, 07:35 AM  
horsemom2

People who re-sell dvds are not putting money into the pockets of the original copyright owners.
Many dvd owners rip their dvds and then sell, trade, or gift them.
So why not enable streams to be downloaded and owned permanently by the customer so they can be used without an internet connection?

I understand why some instructors prefer not to enable their streams to be downloaded without a protected app but the truth is that there are many ways to download a stream or record a stream anyway.

By not enabling a download, they are probably losing more business than protecting their content.

Barb S
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-18, 08:24 AM  
antbuko

I prefer ebooks and streaming media, so I can support this. I sympathize with those who have connectivity issues.
Old 04-11-18, 08:33 AM  
antbuko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Alice Bracegirdle will no longer produce DVDs and her reasons are the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usia View Post
I'm fine with no more DVDs, and I'm OK with streaming too, but I prefer the option of buying downloads. Alice Bracegirdle sells downloads, but I don't think Ellen does. Why not? This is a rhetorical question because I can guess the answer.
I like the option to purchase downloads too. There are some streaming instructors who have a handful of workouts that I love. I like their other workouts too, but I can't justify a monthly subscription for everyone, lol.
Old 04-11-18, 08:44 AM  
TinaT

Quote:
I can't justify a monthly subscription for everyone,
This is my point. If I enjoy even a few instructors, I would not be able to afford a subscription to all of them. This would limit the variety I need and enjoy. As it is now, I have a dvd collection that offers a little bit of everything in the methods I enjoy.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-18, 10:31 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

I would only consider a streaming subscription if it was years and years worth of known-quantity content, like Cathe or Beachbody. Paying someone for "I'm gonna post some workouts from my basement real soon, hopefully" - forget that.

I just saw this article about Beachbody, and toward the end they talk about streaming. Even though Daikeler thinks replacing DVDs with streaming is "a business necessity" it has caused sales to drop.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/laureng.../#3ed8abc77960

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-18, 11:18 AM  
starbelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
I would only consider a streaming subscription if it was years and years worth of known-quantity content, like Cathe or Beachbody. Paying someone for "I'm gonna post some workouts from my basement real soon, hopefully" - forget that.
I subscribe to Gaia because there are many styles of yoga plus Pilates and other fitness videos. They now have the Purple Player so videos can be downloaded for offline use. The fee is less than $100/year and I buy almost no yoga videos because of the variety of content.

Other sites, especially from new or lesser known instructors are often very overpriced. Pvolve, for instance, is $30/month and the content does not justify it both in terms of video quality and size of the library.
starbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-18, 11:53 AM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimf View Post
I agree. This is the way of the future, whether we like it or not.

I think "greed" is the wrong word behind the trend towards doing away with DVDs. I really doubt any of them, with the exception of Jillian and other higher profile instructors, are really getting rich off of DVD sales. Decreasing costs by doing away with physical DVDs may be the only way they can keep filming workouts and making it worthwhile financially.
This.
Old 04-11-18, 01:20 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

it jacks up the prices of DVDs too, especially the OOP ones.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-18, 01:57 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimf View Post
Decreasing costs by doing away with physical DVDs may be the only way they can keep filming workouts and making it worthwhile financially.
So, why only streaming and not offer downloads for sale? The cynic in me says it's because streaming is, well, a steady stream of cash coming in monthly as opposed to downloads which are 1 sale only.

Tags
downloads, dvds versus streaming, ellen barret, ellen barrett, end of dvds, streaming