Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-11-16, 06:09 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlroman View Post
If we want to bright-side this, there's also a peak at the beginning of each New Year. Not that resolutions stick too often, but there are at least two big times each year people think about becoming more active.

And then fall hits, and we all look forward to holiday over-eating, not shaving, hiding every inch of our bodies under multiple layers, and sleeping for 6 months.

And ETA ~ I'm still completely shocked to think that a medical professional would have done weight-loss surgery on an 11 year old...
Yes, I was just going to chime in and say, there's always new year's! But that's usually the fitness-tied-to-weight-loss angle.

I completely agree with Jackie. We need to stress the long-term goals and the health benefits, not just the aesthetic results.

And ITA on weight-loss surgery for children... that's a no! Good grief...
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-16, 06:13 PM  
buttons11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezy Trousers View Post
For me, this conversation isn't about clothing. It's about a woman confronting fear. When aging/dying bodies are sequestered from the rest of the population and when "fat" or "different" bodies are shamed by that same population, it's not coming from love.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlroman View Post
If we want to bright-side this, there's also a peak at the beginning of each New Year. Not that resolutions stick too often, but there are at least two big times each year people think about becoming more active.

And then fall hits, and we all look forward to holiday over-eating, not shaving, hiding every inch of our bodies under multiple layers, and sleeping for 6 months.

And ETA ~ I'm still completely shocked to think that a medical professional would have done weight-loss surgery on an 11 year old...
yes Yes YES
"The secret to change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new" Socrates NOT the Greek one, Way of the Peaceful Warrior: A Book that Changes Lives by Dan Millman, 1984

"Do not let the behavior of others destroy your inner peace" Dalai Lama

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." Earl Nightingale

Still training to outrun the zombies buttons
buttons11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-16, 07:57 PM  
Chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
No, she didn't, and as I mentioned a couple of time in the thread, I'm not necessarily referring to the woman in the article. She really does have a sweet story and I'm very glad she's able to appreciate her body after years of struggle with self-acceptance. My comments were more generally directed to what I'm seeing as a trend--bikini wearing as a statement of body confidence.

As for fitness outfits, I think we've discussed that before on VF. I'm not quite sure how that fit into this discussion, though?
I think some of us have tried to be pretty clear about the direct connection of body shaming and bathing suit policing in our culture and why that establishes the relevance of wearing bikinis to body confidence. For some people. If that doesn't resonate with you, that's fine. I also have a different experience and clothing preferences than that young lady, or the others that apparently exist en masse. I am not doubting you that they exist. I just haven't seen them, I guess. I am not surprised bikinis are a common theme. I recall and applaud the image macro that's been going around for a few years: "How do you get a bikini body? Put a bikini on your body."

We all have our own journeys, and different issues in our lives, based on the experiences we have had, and we all handle them differently. I care about body image because I want people to be happier. I don't think people who are troubled with poor self images need to better people, with deeper concerns, or more virtues, and I'm not sure solving body image issues improves people in that sort of way, anyway.

And, Fitness instructors wearing revealing clothing seems to be sending the messages to these young women that upsets some of the people in this discussion, so I thought that was relevant?
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-16, 08:37 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post
I think some of us have tried to be pretty clear about the direct connection of body shaming and bathing suit policing in our culture and why that establishes the relevance of wearing bikinis to body confidence. For some people.
I definitely acknowledge that.

A few years ago, Nia Shanks posted an article on why she doesn't publish photos of herself in a bikini. I loved it. It's kind of the reverse of what we're talking about here. She demonstrates her confidence by NOT wearing one... Or at least, not posting a picture in one. http://www.niashanks.com/wont-see-pi...-me-in-bikini/

I do wish more fitness people had Nia's attitude/approach.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-16, 08:47 AM  
willowey124

Good for her and a great message.

Not even sure why the comment "it's not a bikini" had to be made and or was even relevant upthread.
willowey124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-16, 12:46 PM  
topfitmama

Quote:

I've gone off (at least temporarily) some instructors whose workouts I otherwise enjoy, for that very reason. They are too fixated on looks, banishing "ugly cellulite", getting "bikini ready", and other such messages. They post pictures of themselves in a bikini, often with captions that draw attention to the hard work that they put into keeping their body "bikini ready".

The whole before-after picture business is not helpful either. Yes, I agree with celebrating a person's achievements, but there's too much emphasis on the external changes, to the (possible) detriment of internal changes that I think are so much more important.

This young woman posted a picture of herself smiling, celebrating her inner change of perspective, and looking comfortable in a body she doesn't think looks awesome. She didn't post the picture because she's proud of having changed her body. The message is not one of having to be in love with your body regardless of its shape and size. It's not the message of a body warrior who is going to beat the flab and cellulite once and for all. It's the message of a woman who's done the internal fight of learning to accept her body and not let those things she doesn't like about it keep her from living life. That is a message we need to hear more often!

Last edited by topfitmama; 06-12-16 at 12:48 PM. Reason: clarity!
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-16, 01:20 PM  
topfitmama

Quote:
A few years ago, Nia Shanks posted an article on why she doesn't publish photos of herself in a bikini. I loved it. It's kind of the reverse of what we're talking about here. She demonstrates her confidence by NOT wearing one... Or at least, not posting a picture in one. http://www.niashanks.com/wont-see-pi...-me-in-bikini/

Thanks for posting that link, Nuggie's Auntie. I'm reading her article on how to stop binge eating. It's full of good advice on how to go from crazy eating to eating sensibly. I'll bookmark that page for when I need encouragement!
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-16, 02:05 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

DH and I both like Cory Everson's weight workouts. In one of them she raves about how great you're going to look in your bustier. I sure as hell don't have a bustier and neither does my DH. LOL!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-16, 02:41 PM  
Chomper

Quote:
I definitely acknowledge that.

I've heard Nia talk about that on her podcast, and love that article. She is being herself and not letting people pressure her to be something else. On her podcast, she elaborated that she doesn't think there's anything wrong with rocking a bikini if that's what makes someone happy. People are different and are free to express themselves as they choose. She said she thinks it's awesome if someone loves to post selfies in skimpy clothing and it makes them happy. I agree with her. I probably don't want to follow someone on social media or buy their workout programs if it means seeing all those pictures, because I don't really care for them and tend to find them irritating after a while, but that doesn't make what they're doing wrong and I'm glad they're happy being themselves. What is it they say? You do you and I'll do me.

ETA: this article is by the fitness guest Nia was talking to on her podcast during that discussion, and they were laughing about how Jessi is always as naked as possible in photos.
http://jessikneeland.com/nakedness/
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bikini, body acceptance, self image