Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-16, 06:23 AM  
Demeris

I, too, am a word geek. My distinction between a bikini and a two piece swimsuit, however, has to do with flip turns. I'd lose a bikini bottom during a flip turn. I won't lose the bottom to a two piece, though.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-16, 08:00 AM  
spotted zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons11 View Post

I usually keep to myself on these conversations but not today

The statement written by this brave girl explains what led to this photo...it is heart wrenching. The need to fit into an acceptable box that defines women was the cause of her anguish and pain. I salute her for her journey and her ability to, for at least that moment, ignore those that require women to fit a standard definition.

Folks it's time we live in our own skin with kindness and grace. Acceptance comes from inside and it is a regular practice.
And we as individuals must lift up those that struggle instead of opening the door to stuff them back into that defined box.

Thanks for posting the inspiring link topfitmamma
Well said.
spotted zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-16, 08:13 AM  
spotted zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
I'm sure some women's studies scholar has written a doctoral dissertation on the bikini! It certain a culturally-loaded garment.
It's fascinating to me the ways women react to words like "bikini". It's loaded all right. Most will probably never ask themselves why it brings out the various reactions (we don't live in a very introspective world). But the reactions themselves are interesting in and of themselves. I would read that doctoral dissertation. I read one once about women's relationships to food and body image which was years ahead of its time (several decades ago). One on bikinis or clothing styles in general could be just as interesting.
spotted zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-16, 08:51 AM  
Lurdes
VF Supporter

I agree with spotted zebra - I'm not sure why wearing any kind of bathing suit constitutes an accomplishment. As SZ astutely pointed out, for men, power comes from covering up (notice *their* bathing suits and the way North American men ridicule those who wear speedos), but somehow women are supposed to be stronger when they expose more of their bodies. Wearing a bathing suit should be about going in water, not about bravery.

Lurdes
Lurdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-16, 09:02 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I'm reminded of 2002, when Jamie Lee Curtis posed in her underwear. No Photoshop. Just a real woman.

It was big news at the time!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-16, 09:12 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurdes View Post
Wearing a bathing suit should be about going in water, not about bravery.

Lurdes
Yes, yes yes. In my view, form follows function! Everything we wear doesn't have to be a 'statement.' And I think if we're really comfortable in our bodies, we don't need to post endless selfies looking for affirmation (p.s.--I do not mean this in response to the woman in the article. I'm speaking in very general terms here. I think the woman in the article is super.) At least, this is what I'm noticing on IG lately. The young women/girls post very random pictures of themselves with 'thoughts?' in the comments, which is the cue for their friends to affirm how lovely they are. I'm always tempted to say, 'yes, please! Tell us your THOUGHTS! I'd love to know what *you* THINK!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-16, 09:41 AM  
Chomper

Quote:
I agree with spotted zebra - I'm not sure why wearing any kind of bathing suit constitutes an accomplishment. As SZ astutely pointed out, for men, power comes from covering up (notice *their* bathing suits and the way North American men ridicule those who wear speedos), but somehow women are supposed to be stronger when they expose more of their bodies. Wearing a bathing suit should be about going in water, not about bravery.

Lurdes
I don't mean to speak for the young lady, but my understanding of her post was that she had been afraid to wear a bathing suit/bikini/two piece, and felt that she wasn't permitted by society, or wasn't worthy of it. So her accomplishment is overcoming the fear and social pressure and self-doubt. Which I think is indeed an accomplishment. She made a personal breakthrough and what used to be a big thing is now not a big thing anymore, to the point that she can share this photo on Instagram. I don't think her intention is to inspire other women to post their own bikini/two-piece photos on social media, it was to inspire other women to overcome their self-doubt and fear of what others will think and get on with living and enjoying their lives.

I am pretty sure every single one of us has heard someone either in our lives or in the media make the declaration that women of certain sizes, ages, etc are not allowed to wear bathing suits, bikinis, or shorts, or leggings, or mini skirts, etc. I have heard a variation of it numerous times.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-16, 09:57 AM  
hch
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfitmama View Post
So do I.

Quote:
I agree with spotted zebra - I'm not sure why wearing any kind of bathing suit constitutes an accomplishment.

--snip--

Wearing a bathing suit should be about going in water, not about bravery.
I would totally agree with your first sentence if everyone totally agreed with your last sentence.

Yes, I agree with you in a sense: I don't see wearing a bathing suit as inherently brave. (I also agree with the idea in this thread that not wearing one should not be tied to fear, cowardice, shame, or whatever.)

This story, though, is about more than someone's wearing a bikini for the first time; otherwise we could have thousands and thousands of banal articles each year.

The woman's post got attention because of why she was wearing a bikini for the first time. That attention points to the social norms that complicate the whole matter; these are why "wearing a bathing suit" is often not about "going in water." I agree with "Wearing a bathing suit should be about going in water, not about bravery" in the sense that we should discard the pervasive and persistent ideas about who should and who shouldn't be wearing bikinis. In a less humiliating world, her post, this article, and this thread wouldn't exist.
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-16, 11:19 AM  
topfitmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post
I don't mean to speak for the young lady, but my understanding of her post was that she had been afraid to wear a bathing suit/bikini/two piece, and felt that she wasn't permitted by society, or wasn't worthy of it. So her accomplishment is overcoming the fear and social pressure and self-doubt. Which I think is indeed an accomplishment. She made a personal breakthrough and what used to be a big thing is now not a big thing anymore, to the point that she can share this photo on Instagram. I don't think her intention is to inspire other women to post their own bikini/two-piece photos on social media, it was to inspire other women to overcome their self-doubt and fear of what others will think and get on with living and enjoying their lives.
That's the message I got from her post and why I found it inspiring. I'm not a big fan of the body acceptance=post naked or nearly-naked photos of oneself movement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hch View Post

This story, though, is about more than someone's wearing a bikini for the first time; otherwise we could have thousands and thousands of banal articles each year.

The woman's post got attention because of why she was wearing a bikini for the first time. That attention points to the social norms that complicate the whole matter; these are why "wearing a bathing suit" is often not about "going in water." I agree with "Wearing a bathing suit should be about going in water, not about bravery" in the sense that we should discard the pervasive and persistent ideas about who should and who shouldn't be wearing bikinis. In a less humiliating world, her post, this article, and this thread wouldn't exist.
I agree.

Many people have shared some great thoughts on this thread. I'm glad I shared the link!
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-16, 12:24 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post
I don't mean to speak for the young lady, but my understanding of her post was that she had been afraid to wear a bathing suit/bikini/two piece, and felt that she wasn't permitted by society, or wasn't worthy of it. So her accomplishment is overcoming the fear and social pressure and self-doubt. Which I think is indeed an accomplishment.
Yes, I completely agree, and I do apologize if I sounded like I was raining on her parade. That was certainly not my intention, just to point out what I am seeing as a strong cultural trend of 'self-acceptance=reveal/expose.'

Thank you, topfitmama, for posting, and thanks to all who are participating in a thought-provoking conversation in such a civil and respectful manner.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bikini, body acceptance, self image