Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-16, 11:56 AM  
cyana

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons11 View Post

Folks it's time we live in our own skin with kindness and grace. Acceptance comes from inside and it is a regular practice.
And we as individuals must lift up those that struggle instead of opening the door to stuff them back into that defined box.[/B]
Where's the Like button? Well said!

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-16, 12:40 PM  
Calistro

[QUOTE=buttons11;2641731][COLOR="Purple"]

Folks it's time we live in our own skin with kindness and grace. Acceptance comes from inside and it is a regular practice.
And we as individuals must lift up those that struggle instead of opening the door to stuff them back into that defined box.

Beautiful
Calistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-16, 03:29 PM  
horusosiris

Quote:

And we as individuals must lift up those that struggle instead of opening the door to stuff them back into that defined box.
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-16, 04:55 PM  
mlroman

Agree.

I'm shocked that a doctor would do weight-loss surgery on an 11 year old!

Still just bein' a mel...
mlroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-16, 06:48 PM  
ellaenchanted

So happy for her! And, yes that is a bikini. It is a two piece and it shows a lot of her mid section. Not all bikinis need to be string bikinis.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-16, 07:01 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Not that it matters, but a bikini by definition sits lower on the hips. A two-piece and a bikini are not technically the same thing. Just like a gown is technically different from a dress, a student is different from a pupil. We use these words interchangeably in American English, but they are not really the same thing.

We're talking about a bikini here as if it's somehow superior to another form of swimsuit. Honestly, I find the whole wearing a bikini or other revealing garment thing as a badge of transcendence to be kind of bizarre. I don't wear bikinis. I don't wear two-piece suits. I prefer more coverage. I don't think other women are wrong to do so, it's just not my preference. But the celebration of bikini (or two-piece ) wearing as a symbol of I-love-my-body just does not resonate with me at all. I don't wear a bikini. It doesn't mean I don't appreciate my body. In fact, for me, I cover myself a little more because I appreciate my body. Parts of it are private. For me, and for my husband. I just don't understand why wearing less is seen as liberation.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-16, 07:12 PM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
Not that it matters, but a bikini by definition sits lower on the hips. A two-piece and a bikini are not technically the same thing. Just like a gown is technically different from a dress, a student is different from a pupil. We use these words interchangeably in American English, but they are not really the same thing.
This is what I meant. Look up the definition of a bikini. I am pretty sure that's what Joni meant too. It's technically not a bikini. It's a two piece. Not taking a thing away from her, just talking about the true definition of the word.
Old 06-09-16, 07:18 PM  
buttons11

When I read her words I heard that wearing what she chose to felt good, regardless of what ever you call it, what ever size it is, what ever shape it is etc. however you define the words that create the shameful box including whether or not it was a bikini. It was about not hiding any longer, no longer deferring life due to body shame. We all have what we feel most comfortable in and should of course choose that.

I don't think it's about wearing less = liberation. I think its about wearing WhatEver you feel great in and not making that choice based on what others think. THAT is liberation...regardless of how much fabric is involved.

What I sincerely don't understand is why the definition of bikini is relevant to her story?

What is admirable to me is choosing it and wearing it while feeling good about herself, regardless of what others think. The photo represents her ability to be seen.

What I like most is she showed up wearing a sparkling smile.
"The secret to change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new" Socrates NOT the Greek one, Way of the Peaceful Warrior: A Book that Changes Lives by Dan Millman, 1984

"Do not let the behavior of others destroy your inner peace" Dalai Lama

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." Earl Nightingale

Still training to outrun the zombies buttons
buttons11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-16, 07:25 PM  
bubbles76

Buttons, I agree with your reply. Don't know if it was in response to Nuggie's Auntie or not, but it's what I would have said if I had your gift with words Like Nuggie's Auntie, I also tend to cover up more, but I understand this woman's feeling of liberation. And her smile was awesome!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-16, 07:35 PM  
spotted zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons11 View Post

What I sincerely don't understand is why the definition of bikini is relevant to her story?

What is admirable to me is choosing it and wearing it while feeling good about herself, regardless of what others think. The photo represents her ability to be seen.

What I like most is she showed up wearing a sparkling smile.
Exactly. The dissection of irrelevant details that miss the real point is something this woman and others should not have to put up with. Why add to the problem and perpetuate it.
spotted zebra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bikini, body acceptance, self image