topfitmama

First Bikini Picture Goes Viral

I think this is inspiring.
http://indy100.independent.co.uk/art..._campaign=i100
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-16, 07:01 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Not actually a bikini, but good for her!
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-16, 07:16 AM  
cherimac

Good for her.

Why isn't that a bikini?
Old 06-09-16, 08:17 AM  
MomOf2Gremlins

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
Good for her.

Why isn't that a bikini?
^ I was wondering that, too!?

Either way I agree with Cheri, good for her!

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

MomOf2Gremlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-16, 08:50 AM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
Not actually a bikini, but good for her!
Yes, good for her! And I agree with Joni... technically that's not a bikini. The definition of a bikini is a very brief two piece swimsuit, or scanty underpants. Those are not scanty. In no way, however, does that take away from her accomplishment!
Old 06-09-16, 09:17 AM  
topfitmama

Her swimsuit fits my definition of a bikini: a two piece suit consisting of a bra top and some sort of panty bottoms. I think she did a great job with her choice of a swimsuit!

I hope this picture encourages women to get out there and enjoy the summer regardless of how their bodies look and how happy or unhappy they feel in them. A beach ready body is simply a body that is dressed for the beach, however you feel most comfortable for whatever you intend to do when you get there.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-16, 09:31 AM  
spotted zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfitmama View Post
Her swimsuit fits my definition of a bikini: a two piece suit consisting of a bra top and some sort of panty bottoms. I think she did a great job with her choice of a swimsuit!

I hope this picture encourages women to get out there and enjoy the summer regardless of how their bodies look and how happy or unhappy they feel in them. A beach ready body is simply a body that is dressed for the beach, however you feel most comfortable for whatever you intend to do when you get there.
ITA. Thanks for the link! It fits my definition of a bikini too. Until we start demanding men wear scanty briefs (or else they don't count), it's a non-issue in my mind about how much fabric is involved for a woman. All these expectations and always at the expense of a woman's comfort. Even when it comes to summer wear that isn't for the water, notice how men can wear "shorts" that go down all the way to their knees if they choose, which look as comfortable as one can get, but women are expected to just barely cover their bottoms, if that. Ludicrous double standards.

I think she's well entitled to define a bikini on her own terms and who cares whether the fashion industry, which has its own agenda, agrees about the "technicalities".
spotted zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-16, 09:54 AM  
buttons11

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfitmama View Post

I usually keep to myself on these conversations but not today

The statement written by this brave girl explains what led to this photo...it is heart wrenching. The need to fit into an acceptable box that defines women was the cause of her anguish and pain. I salute her for her journey and her ability to, for at least that moment, ignore those that require women to fit a standard definition.

Folks it's time we live in our own skin with kindness and grace. Acceptance comes from inside and it is a regular practice.
And we as individuals must lift up those that struggle instead of opening the door to stuff them back into that defined box.

Thanks for posting the inspiring link topfitmamma
"The secret to change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new" Socrates NOT the Greek one, Way of the Peaceful Warrior: A Book that Changes Lives by Dan Millman, 1984

"Do not let the behavior of others destroy your inner peace" Dalai Lama

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." Earl Nightingale

Still training to outrun the zombies buttons
buttons11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-16, 10:11 AM  
Chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons11 View Post

I usually keep to myself on these conversations but not today

The statement written by this brave girl explains what led to this photo...it is heart wrenching. The need to fit into an acceptable box that defines women was the cause of her anguish and pain. I salute her for her journey and her ability to, for at least that moment, ignore those that require women to fit a standard definition.

Folks it's time we live in our own skin with kindness and grace. Acceptance comes from inside and it is a regular practice.
And we as individuals must lift up those that struggle instead of opening the door to stuff them back into that defined box.

Thanks for posting the inspiring link topfitmamma
Very beautifully expressed, buttons.

Thank you for the link, topfitmama!
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-16, 11:27 AM  
MomOf2Gremlins

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons11 View Post

^
This!

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

MomOf2Gremlins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bikini, body acceptance, self image