Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-20-16, 10:03 AM  
antbuko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibhinn View Post
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I don't think the issue with DVDs is that they are fragile and require special, careful handling or are inherently perishable, both physically and in terms of their content. I have fitness DVDs that I've had for 15 years that I still use. The DVDs and covers are still in perfect condition, and the content isn't outdated. And I don't live in a hermetically sealed, pet-free home. I'm actually pretty messy. It's true that some instructors' workouts don't age as well because they wear trendy outfits, use trendy slang, or base their workout on whatever is most popular at the time. But for the most part if instructors are more interested in delivering a solid workout than being the coolest instructor on the block, their workouts tend to remain solid.

I think the main issue is just that with technological developments people have just changed the way they interact with media. Lots of people don't have television sets any longer - everything is done on a phone or tablet or laptop. Also, with the massive amount of information constantly available via the internet, people have increasingly lost their patience with repetition. Back in the day, we would do the same workouts over and over and over and over and over again for years and years. That's become less necessary but, more importantly, with the constant stimulation from the internet and endless opportunities for new things, new stimulus, I think lots of people are losing the focus required to stick with something over the long haul rather than always having something fresh and new. I don't think this is necessarily a generational thing, it's more a reaction to changing technology, regardless of people's age.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
I agree with this.
+1

Plus, it's instant gratification. Oh wow, that workout looks great. No months of waiting for a preorder to be filmed and delivered. No waiting, even days for a DVD to arrive. By the time it arrives, I could lose interest in doing it. With streaming, you can try stuff out right away, which I love. And, hey, it can be pricey depending on what subscription you choose, but you don't have to have multiple subscriptions all at once. You can do Cathe live for a few months, and then when you are ready to switch things up, cancel Cathe Live and do Les Mills, or Beachbody, or Pilates by Lisa.

Yes, the business model does have to serve the people who are offering the service, but it wouldn't sell, not to me anyway, unless it also serves me.

I still buy DVDs too, but what I prefer about streaming and even downloads, is everything is all in one place, no clutter. It's just more efficient for me. I will admit, however, that the thought has crossed my mind that it would be nice to just download or buy the specific workouts that I want and ditch the subcription. But then, I know I'd be wondering what I was missing out on! The minute I stop doing the workouts though, for sure I would quit the subscription. I've already done it a few times. They'll always take me back.
Old 03-20-16, 10:28 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I have shelves and shelves of books, CDs, DVDs and Blu-rays (and even some VHS). I don't consider them clutter. I love them all! I love the physicality of the objects.

I could see where, if one lived in cramped quarters, this would not be a good option.

Our internet connection was always too slow to do streaming. Recently, we started using Amazon Video and I usually download the movie on to my iPhone during the "bonus" hours and them HDMI it up to our TV.

I never belonged to Netflix because our mail service is despicable. I have no interest at this time in streaming workouts. I like to OWN stuff! The moves I buy have added content like booklets and or many special features and commentaries. I like these. Some folks don't care for them.

I am suspicious of the "CLOUD" and keep my naked selfies on local storage.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-16, 10:53 AM  
sherry7899

Alta- our house is the same we have shelves of books and cds and dvds/bluray. My dh and son collect vinyl. We have two turntables. We can still even play cassettes (concert recordings...)Our son loves cds also. I try to get rid of books I will never read again but I will never give up physical media. Ever!

We still have some Vhs. Some of our favorite concerts and music documentaries never got released on Dvd.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-16, 11:53 AM  
Paula N
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I am suspicious of the "CLOUD" and keep my naked selfies on local storage.
Wise advice!

No dress rehearsal. This is our life.
Paula N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-16, 12:03 PM  
Betty Boop

This discussion reminds me of Mark Twain:

----
It was followed by a rumor that he (Mark Twain) had died. According to a widely-repeated legend, one major American newspaper actually printed his obituary and, when Twain was told about this by a reporter, he quipped: “The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.”
----

Kind of like DVDs,---
Old 03-20-16, 12:19 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbuko View Post
+1

Plus, it's instant gratification. Oh wow, that workout looks great. No months of waiting for a preorder to be filmed and delivered. No waiting, even days for a DVD to arrive. By the time it arrives, I could lose interest in doing it. With streaming, you can try stuff out right away, which I love. And, hey, it can be pricey depending on what subscription you choose, but you don't have to have multiple subscriptions all at once. You can do Cathe live for a few months, and then when you are ready to switch things up, cancel Cathe Live and do Les Mills, or Beachbody, or Pilates by Lisa.

Yes, the business model does have to serve the people who are offering the service, but it wouldn't sell, not to me anyway, unless it also serves me.

I still buy DVDs too, but what I prefer about streaming and even downloads, is everything is all in one place, no clutter. It's just more efficient for me. I will admit, however, that the thought has crossed my mind that it would be nice to just download or buy the specific workouts that I want and ditch the subcription. But then, I know I'd be wondering what I was missing out on! The minute I stop doing the workouts though, for sure I would quit the subscription. I've already done it a few times. They'll always take me back.
Me, in a nutshell.

Plus, I must add, I'm a sucker for vintage as well. As someone who still has and uses fitness audio cassette tapes, while many of you were working with VHS tapes (and maybe even Betamax; or the kind of videotapes they'd used in schools - 8-incher's?), I had graciously bypassed and sidestepped that era and more: including the era of Laser Videodiscs, Super 8 camcorders, the computer (offline) "multimedia" era .... etc, etc, etc.

On the other hand, am in no way one of those twee vinyl collectors, and I'd relocated often; so of course any vinyl I'd once used in the golden age of albums had long ago been in a landfill somewhere.

I "update" some of the old moves if I have to in any "vintage" workouts (usually - if they'd stood the test of time - they'd copied Denise Austin or something ...)

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-16, 12:20 PM  
Eibhinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty Boop View Post
This discussion reminds me of Mark Twain:

----
It was followed by a rumor that he (Mark Twain) had died. According to a widely-repeated legend, one major American newspaper actually printed his obituary and, when Twain was told about this by a reporter, he quipped: “The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.”
----

Kind of like DVDs,---
Particularly when you look at the recent resurgence of vinyl, you gotta know that any claims that DVDs are dead are pretty premature.

I'm becoming more open to streaming services and downloads, but as a supplement to my DVDs, not as a replacement.

The recent downturn in the DVD market obviously is mostly to do with technological changes, but I also have to wonder if it has something to do with the seeming obsession in recent years with mainstream DVD workouts being no-fun, almost borderline violent. It seems like a disproportionate number of workouts have been about suffering and punishing the body for not being perfect. It's extreme insanity, rip this, shred that, burn this, blast that, carve this, kill that, breathlessly working out 2 hours a day, trying to be the most exhausted, high-intensity, dripping with sweat, in pain for three days afterward person, or else the lady on screen yells that you're lazy. After a lot of years of that, I'm not surprised people are getting turned off of fitness DVDs.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-16, 12:32 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibhinn View Post
The recent downturn in the DVD market obviously is mostly to do with technological changes, but I also have to wonder if it has something to do with the seeming obsession in recent years with mainstream DVD workouts being no-fun, almost borderline violent. It seems like a disproportionate number of workouts have been about suffering and punishing the body for not being perfect. It's extreme insanity, rip this, shred that, burn this, blast that, carve this, kill that, breathlessly working out 2 hours a day, trying to be the most exhausted, high-intensity, dripping with sweat, in pain for three days afterward person, or else the lady on screen yells that you're lazy. After a lot of years of that, I'm not surprised people are getting turned off of fitness DVDs.
Hey, if that kind of nonsense hadn't worked for me in real life (live classes with flesh-and-blood Type-A, out-for-blood instructors - in vinyasa yoga and aerobic dance, anyway), what would make me think that it should work under anonymous, out-of-sight cover?

Well, I'd tried with mat pilates, because I'd liked pushy versions of THAT and it had not worked. Welcome to the dustpile!

So that times 1,000 for everybody else ... Cue the "Country Heat" bandwagon ... country line dance workouts (as a niche, anyway) are sooooo 1986 (even if it had been on VHS at the time ...) and they don't even know it ...

In the morning in my extremely diverse but upscale area where I live, you see an army of thick pilates mats heading for yoga class ... so ditto for those kinds of scenes, too.

Ain't no classes for the people who sleep in .... even if they were affordable ....

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-16, 01:31 PM  
sherry7899

My dh and son are not "twee" record collectors. My dh has been collecting vinyl since he was five years old. He has passed his love of music to our son. We met in a cd store. Our son was destined to be a music geek like his parents.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-16, 01:44 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannette View Post
I don't understand. I've downloaded a good number of YT videos to my Apple laptop. I can even burn them to DVD if I want to. Same deal with the CDs I ripped to iTunes.
I was laboring under a misconception then, I was just recalling all the times I've heard friends complaining about being limited with the number of times they can duplicate their files. That was some time ago so maybe things have changed.

But I'm still happy with my system

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bandwagon bust, downloadable workouts, downloads, dvds versus streaming, end of dvds, external dvd drive, subscriptions