Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-16, 02:31 PM  
Susan G.
VF Supporter

Oh gee. It's easy to find videos that avoid that kind of negative reinforcement. And what about in-person classes, one-on-one coaching? Are we to avoid fitness instruction entirely?
Susan G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-16, 02:31 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

The new art of headlines, make people outraged, not inform of content.

Let's remember that the people looking at the videos were looking at them for the purpose of workouts plus positive motivation. Calling someone saying "getting six pack abs" as psychological damage is over the top, but their points are valid.

It has been proven that the things they point out are not helpful, but in fact the opposite of helpful for MOST people. Many of us are not the "most" people when it comes to exercise. I'm baffled at the outrage people feel against people pointing out that these things demotivate people who don't exercise.

I take a ton of different classes at a gym chain. The instructors almost all have very good form and are quite knowledgeable. And, they all discuss options most of the time too. Generally, instructors are just friendly and encouraging. I do not believe I've ever heard one mention six pack abs.

There are a few exceptions. Only one, who also does some things that should not happen on a spin bike, also talks about how we should all be thin. She is also one of the few who exudes great disappointment when class members can't do an hour of intervals with weights. I don't bother with her classes anymore, mainly because she never shuts up even for a second. She's a middle aged women with a knockout body and never a hair or makeup out of place and believes she is a role model - ie everyone wants to be like her. She doesn't seem very happy or friendly, so not a role model for me.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-16, 02:57 PM  
Judy W.

I can't help but wonder who paid for this "study"? The good tax payers of Oregon, I suppose? Or perhaps the high tuition costs covered it?

This strikes me as an individual or group which had a bias against home exercise dvds for whatever reason, and set out to prove their theory by buying a few dvds. Perhaps they feel that true fitness can only be acquired in a gym, or they find the emphasis on physical exercise threatening, or some other viewpoint.

I suppose it must be nice to have access to funds that allow you to "scientifically" present your viewpoint and then stamp it with the name of a respected university! But I suspect with access to the same amount of funds and a U of Oregon label to hide behind, another researcher could prove that fitness dvds are the most effective way to get fit!

Judy
Judy W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-16, 03:32 PM  
froggy

Wish I still had a stack of Collage catalogs I could mail them.
froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-16, 03:37 PM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnO View Post
The new art of headlines, make people outraged, not inform of content.

Let's remember that the people looking at the videos were looking at them for the purpose of workouts plus positive motivation. Calling someone saying "getting six pack abs" as psychological damage is over the top, but their points are valid.

It has been proven that the things they point out are not helpful, but in fact the opposite of helpful for MOST people. Many of us are not the "most" people when it comes to exercise. I'm baffled at the outrage people feel against people pointing out that these things demotivate people who don't exercise.

I take a ton of different classes at a gym chain. The instructors almost all have very good form and are quite knowledgeable. And, they all discuss options most of the time too. Generally, instructors are just friendly and encouraging. I do not believe I've ever heard one mention six pack abs.

There are a few exceptions. Only one, who also does some things that should not happen on a spin bike, also talks about how we should all be thin. She is also one of the few who exudes great disappointment when class members can't do an hour of intervals with weights. I don't bother with her classes anymore, mainly because she never shuts up even for a second. She's a middle aged women with a knockout body and never a hair or makeup out of place and believes she is a role model - ie everyone wants to be like her. She doesn't seem very happy or friendly, so not a role model for me.
That's EXACTLY what I was thinking about...true beginners. And I can see how a lot of DVDs wouldn't be very motivating or helpful to them. And I've never had anything but positive experiences with live classes.
Old 01-08-16, 04:06 PM  
annetteb

Whoever posted thank you.

Also, the study can be found here:

Sociology of Sport Journal, which can be purchased from Human Kinetics Publishing Company in Champaign, IL.
Old 01-08-16, 04:30 PM  
Chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy W. View Post
I can't help but wonder who paid for this "study"? The good tax payers of Oregon, I suppose? Or perhaps the high tuition costs covered it?

This strikes me as an individual or group which had a bias against home exercise dvds for whatever reason, and set out to prove their theory by buying a few dvds. Perhaps they feel that true fitness can only be acquired in a gym, or they find the emphasis on physical exercise threatening, or some other viewpoint.

I suppose it must be nice to have access to funds that allow you to "scientifically" present your viewpoint and then stamp it with the name of a respected university! But I suspect with access to the same amount of funds and a U of Oregon label to hide behind, another researcher could prove that fitness dvds are the most effective way to get fit!
Oh come on, it's a professor of Kinesiology. And some grad students in the sociology of sports and fitness.

Why is everybody in a tizzy? Nobody is threatening to ban your precious DVDs.

If you read his press release, he suggests further research into fitness DVDs.

http://oregonstate.edu/ua/ncs/archiv...research-shows
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-16, 04:39 PM  
Chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyefit View Post
Where is the eye roll smiley when I need it. That is a ridiculous "study" and totally sensationalistic. If fitness DVDs are psychologically damaging then so is the checkout line at the grocery store with all the magazine covers blaring headlines with "bikini body!". Our whole culture is psychologically damaging to women when it comes to body image. To slander the entire home fitness DVD industry with such a sensationalist headline is beyond stupid. (IMHO)
Well I totally agree that our whole culture is steeped with negative body image messages. The fitness industry in general (not just DVDs) has used body image as their primary marketing message. I happen to think that is a negative thing for most people. Studies show that people primarily motivated by appearance drop out of fitness programs much more often than people motivated by well being. So even if people think they don't mind those messages, they could be benefiting more from different ones.

I started cutting fitness instructors out of my social media who send out a lot of appearance messages. I just don't want those messages and don't want to support instructors who sell themselves that way.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-16, 04:48 PM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post

<snip>

I started cutting fitness instructors out of my social media who send out a lot of appearance messages. I just don't want those messages and don't want to support instructors who sell themselves that way.
I've done this too.
Old 01-08-16, 04:49 PM  
Yelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post
Oh come on, it's a professor of Kinesiology. And some grad students in the sociology of sports and fitness.

Why is everybody in a tizzy? Nobody is threatening to ban your precious DVDs.

If you read his press release, he suggests further research into fitness DVDs.

http://oregonstate.edu/ua/ncs/archiv...research-shows
I can only speak for myself, but the only thing in this article that I had a strong reaction to is the sensationalism with the headline's wording: that fitness videos can be "psychologically harmful". I take issue with that because it only serves to further isolate people who are actually suffering from real psychological harm, and trivializes the very real things that cause psychological pain and damage in this world. I could care less about fitness dvds being threatened, since I haven't bought an actual dvd in probably 2 years (I have long ago moved to streaming). I also wondered why they chose to target fitness DVDs, since it's really a dying business in many ways, and more and more people are moving to streaming.

ETA: the only other thing that bothers me with articles like that is that (especially for people who don't like the gym) it could possibly deter people from working out at all, which in my opinion is WAY more psychologically harmful than a few annoying phrases in a workout video. Home fitness has only improved my mind and body, and (to me at least) the issues covered in this study are petty.
Yelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
body acceptance, body image, research, stupid studies, stupider headlines