Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-15, 02:38 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Famous View Post
Hey, Carla.

I love to dance, and I have concluded that dance classes are much better live. The energy, the variety, the music . . . it just doesn't translate as well into a video workout. Oh, I tried. Like eleventy kabillion dance DVDs tried. Kari Anderson's Sweat Express II and Petra Kolber's Just Dance and 1 2 3 Dance (3 2 1 Dance?) are all good, and will do in a pinch, but they are just not as fun.

I think that the advice to go an entirely different route is wise. It's worked for me.

Your fellow dancin' fool,

AF

Check out my blog at www.typeALC.com

Please, no ... not entirely.

Amateur dance-exercise doesn't want to lose you! Additionally, I wish I could say on one level, I could stick with any Zumba I find (free, at this writing) online; as I did not give Vicki a real chance yet (she instructs silently - that's a big change!)

But, you are right about that, Aunt ... not enough energy derived from a recording (what? am I the RCA dog responding to "His Master's Voice"? No, really!!), generally; and I like fairly complex choreo ... But needing live-class feel is one of the reasons I jumped ship a little away from dance; with one of my favorite dance instructors (though a bit TIFT-happy), and even her protegée. A genre so foreign to me I couldn't even begin to - in my right mind - steal the moves for my own routines; as I have so many dozens of times before... who? martial arts moves? ME?? ... What?!?, EDM, check; affirmations, check; whatevs ... but this stuff?

You know the old adage ... for a creative instructor (more creative than any amateurs like me could be): All she had to do was to do just one thing different ...

It had all started with disturbing a downstairs neighbor with a Leslie's music ... and a Leslie I'd never use again ...

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-15, 03:00 PM  
horsemom2

Once I realized music was all I needed to want to move and started replacing soundtracks to older routines, I have enjoyed working out more than ever. I have added music to dozens (ok hundreds) of routines with simple moves the past few years. Every workout is now a party-in-a-box.

Barb S
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-15, 09:10 AM  
Marylandmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlaVeg View Post
Hi girls, I have been a videot for many many years (at least 20).... I have a problem though.... A few months ago my friend invited me to a free live jazzercise class and I LOVED IT! I am so addicted to it that I am going at least 3 days a week but I try to go 4-5/week. I have small kids (5 and 3) and sometimes it's hard to go but I am making it a priority.

I decided that the days that I can't go I will do a video like I have always done (pretty much all my adult life). BUT Jazzcersice has ruined my mood for working out to videos... Literally I am so addicted to the live jazcersice classes that I find NO joy whatsoever in working out at home to videos.... This is making me really sad because I want to find joy again in videos, specially when I can't go to the class.....

Has anyone gone thru this? Do I need new videos to get excited again? See, I have found what I like in jazzcersice... Jazzcersise is awesome, simple coreography to amazing music and every song has a different coreagraphy (It doesn't build up and repeat over and over and over, which I don't like about dancing videos). The music is fun, I love the weights, and In sum I am in LOve with the workouts and the instructors... I can't get enough. This has become my me time and when I can't go I get upset LOL....

Please please what do u suggest? I need something I can do at home 2-3 times a week, kind of with the same format.... I am at a loss right now... and I need some recommendations so I can enjoy working out at home again!

Thanks for "listening"

Carla
I can so relate. Zumba did it for me. I went to a live class last year and haven't looked back. I love the group classes, the music. I just can't seem to get myself to do home workouts anymore. It doesn't mean I'm not going to give them up entirely. I'll probably start using them when the weather gets cold again and I don't feel like making it to the gym. But for now, live Zumba classes for me.
Marylandmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-15, 10:45 AM  
mspina

I would actually recommend focusing your at home workouts on something DIFFERENT than your live classes - the home workouts will not live up so you will continually be disappointed. And you should mix things up anyway. So on the days you are working out at home, focus on strength workouts, or flexibility, or kickboxing or whatever you either need, or will enjoy (hopefully that's one and the same!).

Random Stuff:
  • Spinervals Team Member Triathlon Coach
  • Avid CrossFitter
  • Former Triathlon Fanatic
  • 2008 Boston Marathon Finisher
  • Cast member in IronGirl StrEndurance workout (released 12/07)

mspina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-15, 11:09 AM  
Aunt Famous

Exactly! This is what I meant to say, and Michelle said it better.

AF

Check out my blog at www.typeALC.com
Aunt Famous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-15, 05:12 PM  
CarlaVeg

I just wanted to thank you all for replying to my thread!

Today I tried to do a workout that I remember I loved - Get Lean Intervals... and I had to Joni o'd LOL..... I am so done with burpies, mountain climbers etc.... I need to find stuff less athletic...

Carla
CarlaVeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-15, 01:54 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlaVeg View Post
I just wanted to thank you all for replying to my thread!

Today I tried to do a workout that I remember I loved - Get Lean Intervals... and I had to Joni o'd LOL..... I am so done with burpies, mountain climbers etc.... I need to find stuff less athletic...
I have sort of the opposite problem. But it's funny. I just do the athletic stuff a little slower, and modify down where I can. That works.

And switch off if I'm in some kinda mood ...

Love this thread!

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dance dvds, home vs gym, jazzercise, live classes, rotations