Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-15, 07:21 AM  
Melissasue

Optical Heart rate monitor?

Hi all,

I rarely post but have a question about heart rate monitors. I am trying to replace my Bluetooth strap. I found an optical heart rate monitor by scosche online. It seems to have good reviews and I would love to get rid of the chest strap! Has anyone tried an optical heart rate monitor?

Thanks in advance!! .
Melissasue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-15, 04:57 PM  
Helen

Found the CNET review page for you.

In summary:
Five devices were chosen for testing: the Garmin VivoFit, the Basis Carbon Steel, the Withings Pulse O2, the Samsung Gear Fit, and the Samsung Galaxy S5 (a phone with a fingertip sensor, for good measure).

I performed two tests for each: three measurements at rest and three immediately after running on a treadmill. The latter required me to stop running completely, as all devices (except for the chest strap), need the user to be completely still to get a reading.

The results were clear: most of the trackers employing optical sensors were only accurate (or close to accurate) at my normal resting heart rate of about 70-80 BPM. The Garmin VivoFit, a device that employs a chest strap, was expectedly dead-on at accelerated rates after exercise, however.

Device____________ Error (%) at 80-90 BPM Error (%) at 160-170 BPM
Garmin VivoFit______ 10.7___________________0
Withings Pulse O2____5.3___________________57.1
Basis Carbon Steel___10.2__________________57.9
Samsung Gear Fit____4.2___________________Unable to read
Samsung Galaxy S5__3.1___________________0.2

Devices with optical sensors that read the wrist (instead of the fingertip) had the most trouble tracking heart rate. These include the Basis Carbon Steel and the Gear Fit. Both either errored out in multiple tests or were significantly inaccurate compared to the EKG post-exertion, supporting the idea that optical monitors are challenged by quick pulsations.

In contrast, the Samsung Galaxy S5, a phone with a built-in monitor that measures heart rate from your fingertip using an optical sensor, tested almost exactly in sync with the EKG.

I don't have any experience with wrist HRMs, but use an optical App version on my phone that's just fine, but obviously that's not a continual thing whilst exercising, just a "what is it NOW" reading.
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-15, 08:52 PM  
Melissasue

Thanks!

Thanks Helen! I think this technology is still a little new. I am going to get my current hrm fixed, and maybe try the optical technology in about a year!!
Melissasue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-15, 09:12 PM  
Helen

You're welcome - it was good for me too:

DH has been suggesting the Charge HR for me (when it's available here), since the FitBit One is so small, I often misplace it or leave it on previous clothing when I get changed.
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-15, 01:38 AM  
BeckyG
VF Supporter

I just got the Microsoft band (love, love it) and compared the heart rate monitor readings to my Polar strap. There are two ways to wear the band and I found it closely matched the Polar counts when I wore the band with the optical monitor in the inside of my wrist. It wasn't as reliable when the optical monitor is on the outside of my wrist.

It also has alot of other features that I'm finding very useful (text messages, calendar, GPS run tracking).

Before this I had a Jawbone Up, which sadly broke too many times (but loved the App).
BeckyG is offline   Reply With Quote