VF Supporter

Hmm, fatkinis anyone?
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-14, 09:35 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JezthePuff2 View Post

It kind of seems like Debbie isn't really part of Beachbody. I could be wrong on that, but I did see someone ask her on Facebook if she was going to Summit, and she said she hadn't been invited.
Maybe Beachbody doesn't want her now that she's on the teeny-tiny wagon. I don't blame them.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-14, 09:49 AM  
Stephanie_B

I agree with Maryan.

Maybe Steven was acting as a director, but still he was her husband and IMO Amy probably knew what casting was looking for...I still take away he wanted a specifically sized wife.

If you can't do it today what makes you think you will do it tomorrow?

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Stephanie_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-14, 10:12 AM  
laurajhawk

Whether he was speaking as her husband or as her director or both, IMHO he should have talked with Amy, not gone to her trainer behind her back. It feels like misplaced paternalism.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-14, 10:27 AM  
antbuko

The Spielberg quote does sound pretty negative but maybe Debbie didn't provide enough context.
Old 08-15-14, 10:29 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

He's not married to her anymore and I don't think her thighs were the cause of their bust up. He's a Hollywood director so he's bound to be influenced by the prevailing views of women's body types.

Debbie was probably influenced by that as well, given how and where she earns her living.
Old 08-15-14, 02:02 PM  
Susan

Am I the only one who read that post and felt very pleased that Amy Irving got a massive settlement when she and Spielberg got divorced?

He must have been a real peach to live with.

Maybe Amy's thighs got too big, so that's why he felt the need to find another woman.

What an idiot.
Old 08-15-14, 02:08 PM  
Susan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianestjohn View Post
It's sad to me that she was working out and eating 3 healthy (even though large) meals per day and she was not taking delight in her strength and good nutrition. She seems to believe, like many do, that the true test of a woman's fitness is whether she is teeny-tiny. I think she over-reacted to some random comments - the teenage girls were probably just curious, and she might have responded to Spielberg by saying "oh no problem, we'll cut back on the thigh exercises". Also, this was, I'm guessing 20 years ago or so when she made these changes (I forget when Spielberg was married to Amy Irving...)? And fortunately the perception of women's sizes has changed and is changing - the definition of beauty now includes the Kardashians, Beyonce, Allison Tolman (the lead in the recent Fargo on tv), etc. There are more women of all sizes on tv and in the media in general, so I think there will be a carryover into the "real world" that not everybody who is a 13/14 needs to drop to a 4/6 to be acceptable.
I disagree about the teenage girls. It sounded more like they were Mean Girls, trying to be hurtful, than simply curious. Seriously, what other reason could they have had to call in to a TV show and ask a guest how much she weighed? That's incredibly rude, and I'm surprised the producers of the show even let the call get through.

And as far as the Spielberg thing goes, I'm sure she did respond politely and professionally and not let him see any kind of personal reaction, but let's face it, comments like that are hurtful. He was basically telling her that she had big, ugly thighs and he wouldn't want his wife to look like that. Who wants to hear something like that from anyone?
Old 08-15-14, 02:35 PM  
dianestjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan View Post
Am I the only one who read that post and felt very pleased that Amy Irving got a massive settlement when she and Spielberg got divorced?

He must have been a real peach to live with.

Maybe Amy's thighs got too big, so that's why he felt the need to find another woman.

What an idiot.
LOL. I was wondering if maybe she was preparing for a certain movie that he was directing and he was hiring a trainer to get her to look a certain way, in which case he would be acting more as a director than a husband - would that give him more of a right to tell her how to look? It would be annoying but maybe that's the downside of being an actor.

I have heard both husbands and wives tell their spouses how they like them to look - the wives tell the husbands to change their shirt before the party, it's time for a haircut, honey you need to cut back on the beer you look bloated; the husbands tell the wives OH god not blue nailpolish, or I like your hair longer, or when is the baby weight coming off.... I guess every person is different in how acceptable they find those kinds of comments and when do they cross the line.
dianestjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-14, 02:38 PM  
dianestjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan View Post
I disagree about the teenage girls. It sounded more like they were Mean Girls, trying to be hurtful, than simply curious. Seriously, what other reason could they have had to call in to a TV show and ask a guest how much she weighed? That's incredibly rude, and I'm surprised the producers of the show even let the call get through.
You're probably right - teenage girls are not known for their sweetness and tolerance

Somebody once wrote in to Cathe on her forum and asked her her height and how much she weighed. I think they were probably going to use her weight as their own goal weight LOL. Cathe in her always-gracious manner replied that she was 5'4" and "weighed more than average due to muscle weight" - something like that - a really good reply.
dianestjohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
body acceptance, debbie siebers