Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-14, 05:39 PM  
MsThistlebottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14yrbeliever View Post
So just like I'm the last person in the world with an old-fashioned flip phone, I'll be that same old lady clutching her dvds while the rest of you are streaming workouts and flying around in Jetson's cars. lol
LOL! Count me among the DVD (and book) clutchers.

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 05:40 PM  
roxwel

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnna View Post
there are still a lot of people in the country that do not have access to high speed internet. we are called "the last mile" but if we ever do get high speed, I can't wait to try all the thrilling new streaming workouts.

donna, on a dial up.
me too - satellite too slow here in Northeast Texas - Roxanne
roxwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 05:46 PM  
shoegoddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliepie View Post
I hope not. Just having access to what I buy and not being able to own it gets a big thumbs-down from me.
Ditto!

I'm not a typical grandma!

Body by Cathe, Chalene and Dr. Niccole
-Me

A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Well-behaved women seldom make history
-Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Women are Angels
And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly....on a broomstick...we are flexible like that
-White Witch

Gotta love Maxine:
http://forum.videofitness.com/pictur...&pictureid=230
shoegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 05:48 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14yrbeliever View Post
I know DVDs are going and Streaming is the future (coming now), but I just hate to think of all that material on my DVDs that I will lose. Also, my computer is very old and I'm worried it wouldn't be fast enough for streaming.

So just like I'm the last person in the world with an old-fashioned flip phone, I'll be that same old lady clutching her dvds while the rest of you are streaming workouts and flying around in Jetson's cars. lol
The fact that you actually have that phone shows you aren't as old fashioned as you think!

I think there will be both for a while. There was a book a while back about the internet allowing companies to cater to niche audiences (although it was something about the tail, I think.)

Streaming definitely caters to the niche markets. However, most are going to have to diversify unless they showcase a big (for the industry) name. Cathe may be able to pull it off since so many people only do her workouts, and some other instructors might be able to make a living off of having 100 or 200 suscribers, but until instructors group together it won't be huge bargain.

Personally, I just cannot imagine paying $10 a month for one new Cathe workout a week. Especially since I already have at least one dvd workout very similar to what I've seen of her streamed workouts so far. Same with the other instructors.

I highly recommend the gymbox. They put out 10 or so workouts each week and have tons of variety and really professional instructors for $10 a month. They also have probably at least a thousand workouts to choose from now.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 05:49 PM  
BunnyHop

I much prefer having tangible proof that I've purchased something.

CD, DVD, actual books. I don't care for Blu-Ray (or however it's spelled) because the equipment that uses it seems to need to be updated by downloading more software. ( A friend of mine bought one NEW that needed to be updated the moment she plugged it in. She doesn't have the ability to get those downloads, so the machine had to go right back to the store. Wow, way to inspire confidence in the equipment.)

Even video games have increasingly been sold with one-user, one computer type licensing. Some part of me just doesn't trust that kind of relationship.

Over time, services you pay a monthly fee for have a tendency to change the rules and the fees, not usually for the better.

I guess part of it for me is that I live in a part of the world that's prone to hurricane related power blackouts. Sure, I get it, the electrical grid takes a hit and it takes a while to repair and recover, but I don't think that's any reason for me to be without workouts or entertainment for the duration. (After Katrina, we lost phone service for weeks and cable even longer.)
BunnyHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 05:50 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I think there will be fewer DVDs made and eventually they will go away, but I for one won't give up my DVDs entirely. I still cling to some favorite VHS tapes, after all!
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 05:53 PM  
Bebop

Barb, I agree with you.

I have one computer which is in my office. It's my work computer. I don't have room or the desire to workout in my home office.

My son has taken my apple lap top (LOL). I want to own the workout if I paid for it.

I also edit and change workouts. I mix and match and just love creating my own workouts with chapters and pre-mixes.

That is why I am probably going to pre-order the new Cathe set. I don't know if she will end up going all live or streaming. I know that when you go to a live class, you don't own it, but somehow, it isn't the same thing for me.

I guess I'm just resistant to change. I sometimes yearn for those simpler times. I still have VHS which I will only toss when my combo DVD/VCR player dies.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 05:59 PM  
macska
VF Supporter

So interesting to read everyone's input. As much as I love the new streamers I still love my DVDs -- at least some of them -- and I even have some video casettes that are getting harder and harder to use, hehe. The fact that I don't own the streamers doesn't bother me at all. I go through DVDs fast anyway, buying/selling them frequently.

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 06:10 PM  
donnamp

I'm 50/50 - the downside to me for streaming is that if I subscribed to everything I was interested in, I'd go broke! Although, I guess the same goes for DVDs, too, but I guess I don't feel it as much since in the end, I have a product that I can use again whenever I want, w/out having to pay to use it again. With DVDs each time you do a workout the "cost" of the DVD goes down - do a $10 DVD 10 times and it is only $1 per workout, but if you subscribe to a site for $10 per month you don't get that "amortization" (or whatever the term is!)

That said, streaming does have the advantage of having a lot of access to content So it is very good for people who like variety.

I don't currently belong to a streaming site, but I do use Jessica's site, Grokker, and Do Yoga With Me and You tube. I do make donations to the sites I use.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 06:15 PM  
lesia

Another thing is that I have a problem doing a workout over and over again. I used to not be that way, but now the plethora of workouts has "overstimulated" me!

That's what so great about streaming is that it's there if I want it, but it's not gonna sit on my dvd bookcase and have dust settle on it.

I can try a workout and if I don't like it, I don't have to do it again. I know that I could say the same with dvd workouts, but just looking at my shelf I've done too much of the buying and collecting & not using them.

I've also of the mind lately that "new workout...I must try." Streaming is my go to tool now.

Lesia
lesia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backing up dvd, digital storage, downloads, dvds versus streaming, end of dvds, streaming