Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-16, 06:24 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfitmama View Post
Thanks for sharing that link, Nuggie's Auntie. I'm just a couple of minutes into it and it's horrific!
I read this article along the same lines yesterday.
why I don't read fitness or health magazines any more
Yes, yes, I totally agree with this. I wrote about giving up magazines on my blog a couple of years ago. It was one of the best decisions I ever made! They are designed to make you feel badly about yourself. And they are, quite frankly, just a waste of time and money.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-16, 03:04 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Agreed. I stopped reading - even looking at covers of - women's magazines many years ago. I think they're awful.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-16, 08:14 AM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
**Reviving Old Thread!**

Since this thread was linked to a more recent one, I thought I'd share this article series from CNN. Though it doesn't address body image, it does address the questionable financial tactics employed by the modeling industry. It sounds like a pretty sick world! It certainly gives me even more pause as I look at the images that we are told should define us.
I saw this article a few days ago and it is horrifying how modeling agencies prey on the young. I think some of these girls put up with it in the hopes they'll make it big. So sad that the majority of modeling money goes to the agency, not the models.
Old 05-22-16, 01:00 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
I saw this article a few days ago and it is horrifying how modeling agencies prey on the young. I think some of these girls put up with it in the hopes they'll make it big. So sad that the majority of modeling money goes to the agency, not the models.
I found it really shocking. There are certainly common problems associated with this industry--eating disorders, exploitation, but I had no idea to what degree the deck is stacked against models even being able to make a living! I suppose the agencies get away with it because models tend to be young and without dependants. They can work for a few years and chalk it up as 'an amazing experience,' but it's not right. They deserve better working conditions.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
body acceptance, body image