Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-12, 05:17 PM  
alisoncooks

Jazzercise: Ballet Body

About the dvd:
40 min. "Total Body Workout"
20 min. "Accelerated workout" (shortened version of the 40 min. workout)
10 min. pilates-inspired "Ab Burn"
10 min "Leg Burn" (which was a burner indeed and a crazy balance challenge for me!)

(Can see break-down graphs at Collage.)

Initial impressions:
  1. The ladies do look a little Stepford-esque.
  2. The music is remniscent of...well, what I'd expect to hear in a Jazzercise aerobics class or something. Jazzy and a steady, driving beat.

Pros:
  • I like floor barre and it's included in this workout.
  • I liked the ab chapter - starting with standing oblique work & then mostly done in a leaning back position and working the obliques (a la Russion twist w/ no weight). While, for me, it was better than crunches, it did get a little repetitive (pretty much the same movement for the entire segment).
  • Well-chaptered.
  • Modifications shown up or down.
  • I think this would be a great workout for someone wanting to work on BALANCE. Whew! all the one-legged movements really tested my balance (lifting a leg and moving it forward/back/around without falling over).
  • For good or bad, it used many ballet terminologies. I don't have a clue about the different positions or terms, but if that's important --or not-- to you...now you know.
  • The arm work was a shoulder burner! Wowza. Wish there'd been a few other moves sprinkled in.
  • Don't need a barre, only the beginner modification used a chair for balance.

Cons:
  • Repetitive.
  • Two of the instructors had amazing form and stance, but one of them....not so much. She was very wobbly on many moves (but I was too).
  • Pretty distinct closures to the different segments (fades to black)--while great for chaptering it did break up the flow of the workout a bit. Not much....but a bit.

The one segment I did NOT love: the "foot articulation" chapter. Lots of pointing the toe, dragging the foot back. It wouldn't have been so bad except that they also did it quickly/add pulses. I think I got rug burn on the bottom of my big toes... Plus I have pretty stiff ankles (lots of sports injuries from high school) and the quick point/brush/heels together/repeat was difficult for me.

Overall, not sure this will get a lot of use from me. If I was doing more barre, it might be nice for a change of pace. I kind of felt like it was to ballet what Turbo Barre is to barre (make sense?). A more athletic (fitness club) version of ballet.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-12, 02:09 AM  
cristinalatina

Ugh oh! This looks wonderful, you enabler, you! However, I seriously dislike the music. Any chance there's a music off option?
Old 01-24-12, 05:08 AM  
imhere2dance

I got rid of my copy. There was something about each instructor I didn't like.
imhere2dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-12, 05:56 AM  
cristinalatina

Ladies! Please don't get rid of your ballet-based dvds unless I get online first
Old 01-24-12, 06:58 AM  
imhere2dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristinalatina View Post
Ladies! Please don't get rid of your ballet-based dvds unless I get online first
Huh?
imhere2dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-12, 07:07 AM  
cristinalatina

I was just joking...meaning don't get rid of your ballet dvds without letting me know first because I might be interested to trade for them!
Old 01-24-12, 08:56 AM  
metalbarbie

I previewed this video last night on collage and I definitely want to get it. I'm all about cheezy music and I love ballet. This is on my "next to buy" list.
metalbarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-12, 03:39 PM  
moonbeam31

anyone else.....?

anyone else do this one lately or have any more thoughts on this one. I want to try this one-I didn't when it first came out, but now I do? IDK I'm a vidiot-that's all I can say about this logic. Thanks
Tracy
moonbeam31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-12, 12:25 AM  
moonbeam31

anyone using this one at all? Is it any good? It looks good to me from the 2 clips I saw from collagevideo and the jazzercise website.
moonbeam31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-12, 07:53 AM  
alisoncooks

I parted with mine pretty quickly (no surprise there...).
It is more ballet than barre (duh, look at the title ) but I am more barre than ballet.
It's pretty repetitive and there are a lot of those precision-type movements (point your toe and tap here, there, there) which I hate.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ballet workouts, jazzercise