Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-01-21, 08:10 PM  
sugar rose

What are your favorite therapeutic workouts?

I'd be interested in hearing about workouts that have helped you heal from or prevent injuries, fix imbalances, help back pain, help your posture, etc.

Any details and replies are much appreciated!

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

William Shakespeare, Hamlet
sugar rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-21, 09:31 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

The first person that comes to mind for emotional and physical therapy is Lee Holden. He has a variety of workouts for specific ailments and I find his workouts very healing for pain, to do when you haven't slept well and have little energy. His 30 Day Challenge Qi Gong workouts are great because they are only 7 minutes and all have a nice variety.

I also enjoy David-Dorian Ross Tai Chi workouts and he always puts me in a good mood!

Classical Stretch can be very gentle and healing, too!

Restorative or gentle yoga is wonderful, too! I have many favorites and probably too many to list. Jane Adams is very calming with a beautiful outdoor setting is one I reach for. Any of the Element Yoga workouts have lovely atmosphere, too. Some of the Gaiam workouts or Barbara Benagh's workouts are great, too!

I've had lots of injuries over the years....Plantar Fasciitis, Frozen Shoulder, general hip or back pain. Depending on what I need, I have certain DVDs that have helped and I reach for those. And, sometimes it's a combo of different things/instructors, too!

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-21, 08:38 AM  
donnamp

I really enjoy Jessica Valent for PT style routines - not surprisingly, she is a Physical Therapist as well as Pilates instructor. She offers some content on You Tube for various injuries and conditions and also has a paid streaming service where she goes into depth a bit more and has some exclusive content. For example, there is a herniated disc routine on You Tube that is around 10-12 min, there is a longer version on her Unlimited site that is 22 minutes with additional exercises.

She has become my go-to for PT w/out going to PT!

She also offers, to her Unlimited subscribers a discount on a virtual appointment with her.

In addition to rehab type workouts she also offers Pilates and some traditional strength training.

Her membership is open now, I believe -

https://www.jessicavalantpilates.com/

It is not too pricey either - not like some of these sites that charge $30/month or more! You can check out her You Tube channel also to see if she is a good fit for you before committing to a subscription.

I also like watching Bob & Brad - they have good advice as well!

Hope that helps!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-21, 10:04 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Classical Stretch/Essentrics, Jill Miller, and Lee Holden are who I go to when I have issues. There is a lower back stretch on Bendy Body that I also really like.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-21, 10:26 AM  
alisoncooks

I had a long stretch where I did the RehabZone set pretty regularly. It's meant to rehab core/back. I find them pretty easy to get done (at only 20 minutes a workout), and even though the production isn't amazing, it's tolerable.

They're pricey, though. I'm sure you can find a dozen YouTube workouts that are similar, but I've gotten good use out of them.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-21, 11:00 AM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Wright Now Fitness (Aaron Wright) had a whole collection of workouts for different body parts that helped me, also. He's a bit "old school" but I used some of his stuff for my Frozen Shoulder. They are more PT in nature but very good!

I also used Jill Miller's (Yoga Tune-up Balls) when I had PF and she has workouts specifically for feet. I've also done her Yoga-Link (Hips, Shoulders, Core) workouts, as well as her QuickFixRx DVDs. She has a Post and Pre Athletic Stretch workout, too.

I've also used specific yoga/Pilates workouts for various body parts....yoga for runners, Pilates for Golfers, etc.

Dean Pohlman's Better Back Care Yoga is good! Actually, they're all great! He uses props (strap, blocks) in many DVDs.

Cain Carroll's Heal Neck and Shoulder Pain is good!

Jessica Smith's Gentle Yoga for Balance, Flexibility and Mobility (Hips and Knees is a favorite segment!)

Jane Adams Gentle Yoga 7 Beginning Practices...has a Relief from Desk and Computer work segment that helps with Posture...very good! All of these practices are wonderful, though.

Tamal Dodge's Element Hatha Yoga practices uses a strap for people who are inflexible and it's utilized very well!

Current Rotation:
Old 07-02-21, 11:18 AM  
BunnyHop

Some years back I did Karen Voight's Ease into Fitness workout when I needed to workout seated for a while.

In terms of back pain, I have an older CS dvd for back pain, and working through that and then adopting the routine daily for a while seems to have kept any recurrence at bay. It's a good one to do when I have one of those muscle spasm type backaches.

In terms of preventing back pain, I find that not doing march in front of the tv type workouts (Jessica Smith, Leslie, etc.) helps. Not sure why those bother my back, but apparently they do.

Also, for me, maintaining good posture as a matter of habit has stopped the back pain I'd thought was a permanent part of life. I've trained myself to sit upright when stitching. I'd guess it's something to do with keeping the core strong and engaged, but don't know for sure.
Old 07-02-21, 11:23 AM  
bfit

I like the Balance and Strength Exercises DVD with Jane Adams. It is in a beautiful outdoor setting, and there are many short segments focusing on different things from balance to strength to stretching. A lot of it uses a chair, but some is standing. There is no floor work. It has helped me rehab from a broken foot.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-21, 11:26 AM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

When I couldn't stand with PF, I also used some Senior Chair workouts. I mainly did Susan Tuttle's workouts, but she's very chatty. But, Karen Voight and Tracie Long have Senior workouts, too! I did Curtis Adams workout on YouTube and he's fun.

Also, when you can't stand, Margaret Richard is a God-send for floorwork. She will kill you kindly and I love her!

There's plenty of chair yoga, Qi Gong and Tai Chi workouts, too! Lee Holden, David-Dorian Ross, Scott Cole, have chair workouts.

Jessica Smith has some, as well (YouTube and DVD.)

Current Rotation:
Old 07-02-21, 03:01 PM  
bfit

Caroline Jordan on You Tube is also great for chair exercise and floor exercise. Her workouts really saved me when I couldn't walk or stand. She has toning, cardio, and some "therapeutic" ones for various body parts like the back.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bobandbrad, curtis adams, injury prevention, perfect flow, posture, rehab, rehabilitation, rehabzone, restorative