Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-02-21, 11:05 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Exclamation Benzene found in some popular sunscreens

Another chemical to worry about!

Known carcinogen found in some popular sunscreens, tests show
https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...how/ar-AAKDhEo

"The chemical is identified as "a colorless or light-yellow liquid chemical at room temperature." Valisure states that it's been used "primarily as a solvent in the chemical and pharmaceutical industries."

Trace levels of benzene can be found in cigarette smoke, gasoline, glues, adhesives, cleaning products and paint strippers.

Valisure also reported that 14 sun care product lots with some of the highest contaminations are sold across four different popular brands — Neutrogena, Sun Bum, CVS Health and Fruit of the Earth. Not all of the aforementioned brands' products were found to contain benzene, and lists of products found to contain and not to contain benzene are included further down the page in Valisure's petition form."

Here is a PDF document which lists sunscreens that apparently DON'T have benzene as an ingredient. The page takes ages to load).
https://drive.google.com/file/d/16m7...tag=MSF0951a18

Just FYI.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-21, 01:31 PM  
Leonana

I follow a lot of cosmetic chemists, and they don't see it as a particular worry. Mostly because we are exposed to much more benzene in everyday life, and are exposed to much less in a sunscreen. Also, it's batch related, and not a particular brand. And the testers didn't test every batch out there. Just because you have a sunscreen that they tested as negative, doesn't mean that your particular batch is negative.

At the top of this IG post are two Stories about Benzene. Kind of Stephen is a chemist and cosmetic formulator.

https://www.instagram.com/kindofstephen/

However, everyone needs to do what makes them feel safe. You can buy a sunscreen in a batch that tested negative if you prefer.
Old 06-02-21, 02:39 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Chemical sunscreens are harmful to marine life - coral reefs in particular. Hawaii, Virgin Islands and Key West have banned them and California is working on a bill.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-21, 04:24 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Chemical sunscreens are harmful to marine life - coral reefs in particular. Hawaii, Virgin Islands and Key West have banned them and California is working on a bill.
This. It's been disturbing the changes happening very quickly with our coral reefs. We were blessed to visit Bonaire twice within 3 years. It was amazing how much the reefs had deteriorated.

The chemical sunscreens are bad for us and the environment.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-21, 07:09 PM  
rhbrand

I almost always go for mineral sunscreen, but sadly I did have 1 of the ones listed.
Thank goodness it was one I don't like very much and I didn't use often.

So I tossed it.
Old 06-02-21, 10:12 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
According to scientists, sunscreens are not harming the coral reefs. The science has been badly represented. Lab Muffin has a video on it. The Beauty Brains have also addressed it in their podcasts. Global warming and industrial pollution has a bigger effect on the coral reefs.

https://youtu.be/b9zVfj8Q2pk
Old 06-03-21, 07:28 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Just doing a quick search I had pages of articles about sunscreen use and coral reefs and this article here quotes a couple studies citing increased benzene in waters of deteriorating reefs. https://www.ewg.org/news-insights/ne...le-coral-reefs

I guess I don't put a lot of stock in Facebook or YouTube videos as sources. We've hopped a few Caribbean islands the last few years and travelers were encouraged to use rash guard or other types of sun protectant clothing and reef safe products. It's a small thing to do.

I often read differing articles on sunscreen and whether it's good for us humans. Hard to sift through all the information that is out there.

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
Old 06-03-21, 09:07 AM  
donnamp

Hi,

I normally use mineral sunscreen (zinc/titanium dioxide) as my eyes sting from most chemical sunscreens.

Benzene is not a normal ingredient in sunscreen - in this case it is case of cross-contamination - which could happen to any product (sunscreen, body lotion, hair care products, medication, food, etc.) - stuff getting into the product that shouldn't be there.

Essentially what I'm trying to say is don't avoid sunscreen b/c you are afraid it contains benzene. That is not a normal situation. Any product could become contaminated with something - even stuff you make at home or stuff that you buy from smaller companies and even "natural" products companies can have a contamination issue. It is unfortunately something that can happen.

If benzene is being found in the reefs it is likely from another source - gasoline, manufacturing, etc. not sunscreen. I haven't really followed any of the articles/discussion about chemical sunscreens and the reefs, there is just too much conflicting info to sift through. Like I said, I do wear mineral sunscreen...even if I look a bit ghosty.

Melanoma is deadly so trying to avoid it - either through the use of sunscreen, or sun avoidance is a good thing. My FIL and a co-worker of mine both passed away from malignant melanoma. My co-worker was just 61 years old. My FIL was only 71.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-21, 10:02 AM  
prettyinpink

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post

Melanoma is deadly so trying to avoid it - either through the use of sunscreen, or sun avoidance is a good thing. My FIL and a co-worker of mine both passed away from malignant melanoma. My co-worker was just 61 years old. My FIL was only 71.

Donna
Melanoma is horrible, but as far as I know, the link to sun exposure and melanoma is only for sunburns in childhood, not general sun exposure over a lifetime. Of course, other less deadly but still unpleasant skin cancers are linked to sun exposure.

I prefer the zinc oxide or titanium oxide versions of sunscreen for personal and environmental reasons, even though the better non-nano versions do leave the pasty white residue.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-21, 10:17 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
Melanoma is horrible, but as far as I know, the link to sun exposure and melanoma is only for sunburns in childhood, not general sun exposure over a lifetime. Of course, other less deadly but still unpleasant skin cancers are linked to sun exposure.

I prefer the zinc oxide or titanium oxide versions of sunscreen for personal and environmental reasons, even though the better non-nano versions do leave the pasty white residue.
That supports a lot of what I have read. I also use a mineral based sunscreen when I really need it. It's interesting what all the "health experts" have to say about the sun and sunscreen! Sometimes I wonder if it's like the margerine vs butter debate....what we once thought was health(ier) years later is found to be not so.

Tags
benzene, carcinogen, sunscreen