Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-21, 02:56 PM  
laurajhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
At the hospital - got my second shot 1 minute ago and so far, so good! LOL
Congratulations Gams! I love that you told us first.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
Old 05-06-21, 06:13 AM  
CabCalloway

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post

CabC - I have resisted getting Shingrix b/c I react to just about every vaccine -and I heard that one was nasty even for people who don't have a history of reactions. I also already had shingles...so, I know you can get it again, but what are the chances? I may not want to find out...but I'm not sure I want the vax either. my Shingles case was pretty mild, too, mainly b/c I went to the dr so fast and got the anitvirals started right away. It was definitely brought on by stress. My workplace is a stress factory.
Indeed, the only shots I have ever had a reaction to are the Shingrix and the Moderna Covid-19 ones. My DW's ex had a bad case of shingles and that's what prompted me to "suck it up" and get the shots despite reading about the side effects. My DW got the worst of it; she already got the older shingles vaccine 7 or so years ago, but this year her doctor insisted she get the Shingrix anyway since it is stronger and lasts longer.

Hope you (and everyone else) have recovered.
-CabC
Old 05-06-21, 07:27 AM  
donnamp

I probably will succumb to the Shringrix vax at some point - I know you can get Shingles more than once and I may not be as lucky if I get it again. Now that I'm done w/ COVID (for now) maybe Shringrix could be my summer project.

I'm back to feeling fine after the Pfizer side effects.

It was worth it and I'd do it again and probably will have to w/ booster shots!

Donna
Old 05-06-21, 03:25 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Glad to hear everyone else is on the mend, I'm not that lucky. I guess I'm 1 out 100,000 or more to have a "rare" event. My nerve pain in my hand still hasn't resolved and I'm on day 20 after the 1st Pfizer shot. It actually gets worse from time to time (mostly in the afternoon/evening/night), but thankfully the nerve pain has only been isolated to my right hand (so far, but my doctor said it could still spread since I'm technically still in the early stages). I'm still getting tingling and weakness in both my hands and feet, and sometimes my ears feeling heavy. My motor skills are still off and sometimes it feels like my mind is functioning even slower than usual (perimenopause!). My doctor had me get a ton of bloodwork done, and thankfully everything came back in the normal range.

I'm now three weeks out from the actual vaccine and about 10 days out from the start of the nerve pain/weakness/tingling. My doctor really has no idea how long this will last, or if I will end up with permanent nerve damage. He wants to wait about six weeks to three months before seeing a neurologist to see if this spontaneously resolves, which he said if it does, it will still takes months to recover. He's quite baffled by it and hasn't had anyone else report this as a side effect. (But he said others have had similar reactions to flu shots and shingles vaccines) I'm also getting acupuncture treatments twice a week to see if that can speed up healing. I'm still able to function most of the time, I just have to be really slow about everything and not tire myself out too much. I still work and do all my usual daily activities, but I really have to concentrate harder when doing anything with my hands.

So, just my luck. My doctor said there's really no way I could have known I'd have this reaction, and he said if I had actual covid, I probably would have had this nerve reaction after recovering since my immune system is so overreactive to everything. So I'm taking it day by day. Some days it's not bad and I feel like I'm getting better, and some days it's really bad and I'm up all night with the pain. So who knows. But it's probably going to be hanging around for months and likely having times of getting better and then getting worse.

I would like to thank everyone here for your well wishes, I truly appreciate it and feel all of your virtual hugs.
Old 05-06-21, 03:53 PM  
donnamp

I'm so sorry that this happened to you, Lori!!!
Old 05-06-21, 04:04 PM  
Erica H.

Lori, I'm sorry too. That's absolutely awful.

Erica
Old 05-06-21, 04:08 PM  
star117

Sorry Lori! ��
Old 05-06-21, 04:36 PM  
sillygirl

I'm so sorry this is happening to you, Lori! We're all vidiots here and my hope is for this to resolve itself or maybe there are some holistic (fitness-related ) remedies you can try. Do you have a rebounder? Maybe you can get the lymphatic system moving to reduce the toxins that may be causing the nerve pain? It's just wishful thinking but I do hope you feel better soon!
Old 05-06-21, 04:51 PM  
DD546

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
Glad to hear everyone else is on the mend, I'm not that lucky. I guess I'm 1 out 100,000 or more to have a "rare" event. My nerve pain in my hand still hasn't resolved and I'm on day 20 after the 1st Pfizer shot. It actually gets worse from time to time (mostly in the afternoon/evening/night), but thankfully the nerve pain has only been isolated to my right hand (so far, but my doctor said it could still spread since I'm technically still in the early stages). I'm still getting tingling and weakness in both my hands and feet, and sometimes my ears feeling heavy. My motor skills are still off and sometimes it feels like my mind is functioning even slower than usual (perimenopause!). My doctor had me get a ton of bloodwork done, and thankfully everything came back in the normal range.

I'm now three weeks out from the actual vaccine and about 10 days out from the start of the nerve pain/weakness/tingling. My doctor really has no idea how long this will last, or if I will end up with permanent nerve damage. He wants to wait about six weeks to three months before seeing a neurologist to see if this spontaneously resolves, which he said if it does, it will still takes months to recover. He's quite baffled by it and hasn't had anyone else report this as a side effect. (But he said others have had similar reactions to flu shots and shingles vaccines) I'm also getting acupuncture treatments twice a week to see if that can speed up healing. I'm still able to function most of the time, I just have to be really slow about everything and not tire myself out too much. I still work and do all my usual daily activities, but I really have to concentrate harder when doing anything with my hands.

So, just my luck. My doctor said there's really no way I could have known I'd have this reaction, and he said if I had actual covid, I probably would have had this nerve reaction after recovering since my immune system is so overreactive to everything. So I'm taking it day by day. Some days it's not bad and I feel like I'm getting better, and some days it's really bad and I'm up all night with the pain. So who knows. But it's probably going to be hanging around for months and likely having times of getting better and then getting worse.

I would like to thank everyone here for your well wishes, I truly appreciate it and feel all of your virtual hugs.
Lori,
I'm so sorry to hear of your reaction to the shot. I would encourage you to file a report with the Vaccine Adverse Events Reporting System (VAERS). https://vaers.hhs.gov/ It's important that adverse effects from the vaccine are reported, and unfortunately only about 1% are actually reported. I hope your issues resolve and are not long lasting.
Old 05-06-21, 04:54 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillygirl View Post
I'm so sorry this is happening to you, Lori! We're all vidiots here and my hope is for this to resolve itself or maybe there are some holistic (fitness-related ) remedies you can try. Do you have a rebounder? Maybe you can get the lymphatic system moving to reduce the toxins that may be causing the nerve pain? It's just wishful thinking but I do hope you feel better soon!
That's really sweet of you, and I appreciate any and all suggestions. I don't have a rebounder anymore. But my doctor wants me to walk most days and do CS when I can so that I can keep my circulation up. I've been doing Pahla B's walking workouts when I feel up to it (like every other day or so). Modifying Pahla's workouts is definitely humbling to this former Cathlete. Such is life I suppose. I've just kind accepted that this will suck for a while, hopefully not permanently. I'm just hoping it doesn't get worse, considering I'm only 2-3 weeks into it. I've been learning that it can not be at its worst until 6-8 weeks post immune reaction. So again, day by day. (Hard for me, so I have to keep saying it!)
Closed Thread

Tags
coronavirus, covid vaccine, covid-19, vaccine, vaccine reactions, vaccines