Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-05-21, 05:07 PM  
Patti S.
VF Supporter

Barre experts - what’s the dealio...

....on this move where you stand on the balls of your feet and put your heels together and kind of do a front squat? Supposedly you work your quads more, but all it does is give me knee pain! Callan does this exact exercise in the OG Callanetics.

Is it necessary, really, to stand on the balls of my feet or can I let my heels be on the ground?
Old 05-05-21, 05:34 PM  
muggle

I’m not sure I EVER understood barre workouts. But I have them and use them....those micro-movements burn!!!
muggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-21, 05:36 PM  
prettyinpink

I think Barre3 cues to lean forward slightly as a modification. I’m not sure if that would take much pressure off knees or be more for back discomfort, though.

I like this move less and less, even though I don’t experience knee pain, and prefer legs parallel. I don’t get much out of it with heels down, though.
Does doing it with feet parallel bother your knees less? If not, maybe you could substitute a regular squat.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-21, 06:30 PM  
katmom

I think Sadie Lincoln has also cued to keep feet flat or only slight raise in heels.
Old 05-05-21, 07:19 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i think you're referring to the standing pelvic scoop? you can do it with flat feet. the key is to feel the contraction in your glutes.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-21, 07:24 PM  
bfit

My understanding from barre classes that I used to do plus my physical therapist is that if you are up on your toes that actually protects your knees. I think the key is to be up on your toes and still sit back a little bit so that your knees are not going way forward of your feet. If you do it flat footed it's really just a type of a squat - it's not the same exercise.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-21, 07:34 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

not an expert, just a persistent barre-ista

Funny how different people feel the same move differently. I have advanced knee arthritis, and the move described is very comfortable for me. I use it while waiting for things on the stove or in the microwave. OTOH (or knee LOL) heels raised and feet parallel, what Sadie calls "power legs," is not good for me, and I use the flat-footed, rear back modification..
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-21, 10:00 PM  
Patti S.
VF Supporter

Thanks so much! I do have some Sadie in my collection, so I’ll break those out.

Bzar - yup the pelvic scoop one where you go down two inches and scoop, then another two inches, etc. I’ll try that with flat feet.

And I also like Monterey’s suggestion for feet parallel.

Bfit- I will try to lean back a bit. Nice to know there’s a few things I can try out!

muggie - yep, it’s hard to believe that little unweighted leg pulses can cause so much of a burn!

Tags
barre, squats