Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 02-12-21, 06:02 PM  
horusosiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
Hi Watulans!

horusosiris, on the cardio karate thread you mentioned that there were a couple of the workouts that you like. Which ones were they? I have tried both the Amy and the Gay workouts and at least the first time around they weren't for me. I haven't tried the others and before I let the set go I want to make sure there isn't a hidden gem or two in the series!
Cataddict- I like D12- Steve Feinberg Martial Cardio, D11 Cardio Complexes (Amy), D5- Cardio Intense (Amy) and Cardio Circuits- (Amy)

I would not part with my set because I do get use out of most of them. For the workouts that I did not name in the series, I like to use about 15 -20 minutes ( (cardio portions only) of the other workouts for an extended warmup or a quick cardio workout.

BTW- all of the Cardio Karate workouts are on Youtube
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-21, 07:29 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Thanks, horusosiris! I've only tried one of the Amys (can't recall which one) but should probably look at a few others before I part with the set. I didn't know they were on You Tube!

Today I did the PRS premix that was 66 minutes. It was all of PRS #1 with several combos from PRS #2 then it combined all of PRS #1 at the end. I haven't done this one before, I usually do the roughly 45 minute one, so this was pushing it. Funny but I felt like I was really working hard but my heart rate was just barely in the Fat Burn zone according to my Fitbit. I believe how I feel more than what the device measures, and I felt like I was well in my cardio zone with peaks as well. These are fun step routines, a bit tricky only because I don't think the cueing is the best (a little late) and the music minus the faux lyrics is good.

FN1, I might revise my 4 x 4 "rotation" based on what Kate has to say. I might do Change 1 and 2 the first week, Athlete 1 and 2 the second week, Warrior 1 and 2 in Week 3 and Hero in Week 4 and intersperse other workouts in between (and throw in the 2 x 4 and the foam roller workout somewhere in the mix). I'd love some input from the group!

Waves to all!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-21, 08:06 PM  
Garrie A.

Happy Friday!

This week was another week of the Gym Styles with various cardio. Monday I did Andre Houle's Advanced Step (on VHS). It was fun, and I enjoyed Andre's personality. However, it wasn't very intense. Then yesterday I did Philip Gray's CIA 2402 Step Temptation and Hi-Lo Revelation. I his 2206 Step2BFit, but have a mixed opinion on 2402. The step part was great. The combos flowed very well, the music was great (recognized some instrumentals from Pure Strength and some Christi Taylor), and the combos were tapless (with the exception of one section of the warm-up). Plus, Philip has a great personality. The hi-lo I was meh about. As with the step section, the choreography was great and so was the music. However, it wasn't very intense and some of the moves were hard to fit in my small space.

Today on a whim I gave P90X Legs & Back another go. I enjoyed it as a change of pace from my usual Cathe strength work. Most of the leg exercises are non-traditional and surprisingly challenging. Before I started, for S&Gs I tried to do one unassisted pull-up and one unassisted chin-up. To my surprise, I was able to do one chin-up (close underhand grip)! No pull-up though. One of my goal this year is to finally do some unassisted pull-ups and chin-ups (2-5 of the former, 3-6 of the latter). While doing Legs & Back I used the pull-up assist and averaged about 8-10 reps per pull-up set.

The unthinkable is happening. I'm planning to take a break from Cathe. Not a permanent one (since she is my favorite trainer), but just to try something different. Thinking about trying a P90X rotation, occasionally subbing Kenpo for a step workout (since I'm not giving up step for 13 weeks!).

I'll do personals tomorrow. Don't want to see the dreaded error!
--------------------------------------------------------
CLX 6/19-9/19
STS Grad 11/19-2/20, 9/20-12/20

Current Focus:
Retro Rotation!!

Check out my blog by clicking on the "Home Page" link under my profile name.
Garrie A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-21, 08:34 PM  
Mickey12

Oh, seeing all these posts makes me so happy!!! Glad to have everyone back.

Cataddict I believe the EZ Turbo Fire workouts are basically the same choreography except with no fire drills or maybe just one. I don't remember them being that much easier than the other Turbo Fire workouts.

Garrie I think you should definitely take a break from Cathe and do other things. There are so many good workouts. P90X is awesome. Have you done it before? I never did it as a rotation. I did do an almost complete rotation of P90X2. I made it to the end but didn't finish it as written. Same with STS. I made it to the end, but just couldn't bring myself to do the final couple of weeks.

Tonight I did the Step Mix premix of Party Rockin Step. Good stuff! I haven't done these in a while so I flubbed some of the steps, but not terribly. I think I like the fake words music too. I like it when there is a good beat so the lyrics don't mean that much to me. It also keeps my mind busy because I find myself trying to sing along in my head with the real words.

I hope everyone is staying warm. Seems like a lot of parts of the country are in a cold snap now. Hope everyone has a great night!
Old 02-13-21, 12:08 PM  
ChelePA

So the Fun Friday PRS #2 premix inspired me to do PRS #1 today. I said that Cathe included easier footwork combos in the premix. I think I picked up the moves quickly yesterday despite not doing this workout in ages is because Kat is so similar in her style. I remember combo #5 always being tricky. Today, I did the routine with no hiccups. Definitely needed this type of workout this morning. Lighter and always a good time. So if you love PRS #1 then you'll love Kat's intermediate/advanced step workouts. She also does basic routines if you want to keep it simpler and maybe add intensity. Then she has several Power Step workouts that are similar to PRS #2. Do you agree Cataddict?

It sounds like the winter weather and just overall time of year plus Covid has put a damper on many of our moods. Hoping things start looking up soon for all those who are struggling. Being isolated so long isn't helping the situation. That's why I feel this board is so important especially now. It's nice to have workout support as well as overall daily life encouragement.

Winston is improving. Just hoping his scope next week is normal. Hearing his bark this morning was music to my ears. First time since Tuesday evening that he is looking more like himself. Thanks for all the well wishes for him.
ChelePA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-21, 03:13 PM  
horusosiris

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelePA View Post
It sounds like the winter weather and just overall time of year plus Covid has put a damper on many of our moods. Hoping things start looking up soon for all those who are struggling. Being isolated so long isn't helping the situation. That's why I feel this board is so important especially now. It's nice to have workout support as well as overall daily life encouragement.
Chel- I am one of those peiople struggling right now. Thank you for your support and I thank each of you for your support and encouragement.
Old 02-13-21, 03:24 PM  
horusosiris

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrie A. View Post
Happy Friday!

Today on a whim I gave P90X Legs & Back another go. I enjoyed it as a change of pace from my usual Cathe strength work. Most of the leg exercises are non-traditional and surprisingly challenging. Before I started, for S&Gs I tried to do one unassisted pull-up and one unassisted chin-up. To my surprise, I was able to do one chin-up (close underhand grip)! No pull-up though. One of my goal this year is to finally do some unassisted pull-ups and chin-ups (2-5 of the former, 3-6 of the latter). While doing Legs & Back I used the pull-up assist and averaged about 8-10 reps per pull-up set.

The unthinkable is happening. I'm planning to take a break from Cathe. Not a permanent one (since she is my favorite trainer), but just to try something different. Thinking about trying a P90X rotation, occasionally subbing Kenpo for a step workout (since I'm not giving up step for 13 weeks!).
Garrie- Tony's workouts (especially his back workouts) are great for adding to your pull up/chin ups numbers. I do pull-ups/chin-ups every week. I can do about 20 unassisted only because back in my military days we did them ad nauseam but doing some of Tony's workouts helped me to continue doing them way after my military days. When I was trying to increase my pull-up numbers, I would do a pull-up every time I walked by by pull up bar.

On taking a break from Cathe- When I take a break from Cathe, it makes me appreciate her even more when I come back to her.
Old 02-13-21, 05:24 PM  
lavna

Hello Watulans!

It's cold here also. Luckily, the temperature will get closer to normal starting tomorrow! I went for a long walk today and with the windchill, I was glad I was dressed appropriatly!

I was able to join you for Fun Friday. I did the Step mix premix from PRS1, with some modifications, replacing pivot moves with something else! Combo 5 from PRS1 is a struggle for me also but by removing the pivots, it was much more manageable. And PRS2 combo 2 is my favorite!

I guess we're all in the same "funk boat" these days! Hopefully with spring approaching, the days becoming longer and the pandemic starting to decrease a little, we will feel like our old selves again! Hang in there all!

Nathalie
lavna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-21, 06:10 PM  
Mickey12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavna View Post
Hello Watulans!

It's cold here also. Luckily, the temperature will get closer to normal starting tomorrow! I went for a long walk today and with the windchill, I was glad I was dressed appropriatly!

I was able to join you for Fun Friday. I did the Step mix premix from PRS1, with some modifications, replacing pivot moves with something else!

I guess we're all in the same "funk boat" these days! Hopefully with spring approaching, the days becoming longer and the pandemic starting to decrease a little, we will feel like our old selves again! Hang in there all!

Nathalie
Nathalie I’m glad you could join in the Party Rockin Step class. It looks like we all did the same premix. I like it when I’m doing a workout when I know others are too.

ChelePA thanks for the update on little Winston. I am so glad he’s improving. So sweet about hearing his bark. I love animals so, so much.

I spent most of the day watching old movies on TCM. Doris Day and Rock Hudson in “Lover Come Back” and then Doris Day and James Garner in “The Thrill of it All”. I have been struggling with energy lately as work seems to suck all my pep and I just want to do nothing on the weekends. (Not that there is a lot to do now anyway). I may still do a workout later, hopefully.

Hope everyone has a good evening.
Old 02-13-21, 06:26 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Quick drive-by, Watulans!

Sooooo yesterday got totally away from me and I never ended up getting a workout other than Shovel Max in at all. And we got pounded last night with snow. Since yesterday, my husband and I combined have done Shovel Max five times...in one 24-hour period! We were trying to stay on top of it and I'm glad we did because I've seen some of the neighbors having a hard time with the heavy weight.

Apart from Shovel Max, today has been Clean Max and Chore Max and soon will be Cook Max, as I'm making a curried chili for dinner tonight, mmmm!

I'm so ready for spring, I really am. And I'm also so sorry many of us seem to be struggling right now mood wise. Thank goodness we have each other for support.

FN1, I really am not sure on Katami as I'm not sure how to even classify them (metabolic, strength, cardio, something else?) but I was thinking along your lines, doing two of them per week and doing other things on other days. It'll be an experiment, I guess! And maybe I need to do like Garrie, try to take a break from Cathe so I'll feel like Horusosiris...more appreciative when I come back?

Hope to post more tomorrow...

Waves to all...stay fierce, Watulans!

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
watulan check-in