Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-20, 10:20 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
We started our PE class with this song in grade school for years (the 1960’s version).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8df2skF8gnQ
I'm a baby boomer. How can it be that I've never heard that song?

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-20, 01:34 PM  
Ilde

What a great thread. For me it's been 30+ years of being passionate about working out at home.
Started by chance when I discovered Gilad's Bodies in Motion airing on cable TV at my parents' home and from that day on my father would record the shows for me on VHS. I did them back to back over and over. Then I discovered Jane Fonda's workouts. They were so expensive back then, it took me forever to get the first one. Later on more VHS tapes (Cindey Crawford, Callanetics), whatever I could find back in the day in my area.

By that time I was hooked and actively searched for more variety, which compared to today's possibilities was miniscule. At that time I was glad to find new workouts but it was a very slow process and I was very content repeating the same few workouts I had.

When I got my set of dumbells (still using the same set after all these years) and a stair climber as well, I felt so lucky.

There have been some injuries along the way but the benefits were and still are far greater so I hope to be able to work out for many years to come.
My fitness library expanded enormously since those early days mainly through the VF community and I'm so thankful. It's been a blessing in so many ways!
Ilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-20, 03:05 PM  
Jennifer P.
VF Supporter

I was active in elementary & high school, I loved playing tennis, riding my bike to the beach & body surfing. The summer I graduated (1977), I started doing jumping jacks to music. I drifted away from that due to a foot injury (I didn't wear shoes while doing that, typical of my lack of common sense.)

I started formally exercising full time, doing aerobics, etc. in 1986 at the YWCA. I knew it was good for me, but I didn't really enjoy aerobics until I started exercising with Charlene Prickett in 1987. Her aerobics were much more enjoyable to me. I also started using weights for strength training because of her, which was very surprising to me. I had always wanted to eat healthy but felt I couldn't achieve it because I didn't like vegetables. Well, Charlene got me eating healthy & now I'm vegan. I owe a lot to her. I wish she hadn't stopped making video workouts so long ago.

Let's keep this beautiful planet & all its wonderful creatures alive!
Jennifer P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-20, 03:06 PM  
acey

20 year anniversary here!

In 2000, I was walking home to my NYC apartment. There was a dude on the sidewalk selling bootleg tapes. I saw Taebo Advanced studio version. I had been on an exercise hiatus in my 20s, but at age 29 knew I had to get active again. I bought the tape for like $10 and tried it out. I was hooked!

After months of just doing that initial Taebo tape and Advanced Live 1, I realized there must be more videos out there. I found VF...and here I am, 20 years and a gajillion tapes and DVDs later! Thanks for enabling me!!

Home workouts constitute the one good addiction I have!
Old 06-16-20, 05:12 PM  
juliel
VF Supporter

I started playing tennis when I was ten. My older brother and sister played so I followed suit. We had a summer league and competed around the area. I continued on to play HS tennis and a few years at a smaller university.

My parents split up for awhile when I was around 20. I saw a wonderful therapist and she suggested taking aerobic classes. There was a great network in my city and it really was wonderful for my mood. I was having some issues with low level depression and eating issues. I even wore shiny colorful leotards. Ha ha. My high school pal and I did some early Jane Fonda vids in her basement too.

My first job out of college was in MN. At first I joined a health club and went to step classes. It was difficult to coordinate work and the class schedule and it’s a cold place to live. I think I found out about home videos through Shape magazine. I bought a step and started buying videos from Collage and never looked back! I also enjoyed bike riding and walking in the Twin Cities.

I moved to Cleveland and around 1998 found out about VF. I don’t exactly remember how! This forum has been the best! I’ve learned so much about exercise and much more. I’ve “met” so many lovely people. I attended a Turbo Kick camp and met a VFer (Hedy). I took kettlebell lessons for months prior to getting married. I have a wonderful friend (Karen B) who helped me navigate through cancer and the death of my husband and more.
My husband and I hiked a great deal together. We conquered many trails in Western NC.
It has become another great exercise outlet for me.

I’ve learned about streaming and great sites here. I will turn 55 in about a month. It’s been a great experience and I’m so very grateful to all of you ��

"One cat just leads to another." - Ernest Hemingway
juliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-20, 08:17 PM  
Jeanne Marie

I started at age 17 when I was a freshman at UGA. My first PE class was called "jogging" and it was taught by one of the football coaches. That was when it all started. From running I went to strength training and videos, then HIIT circuit classes. That is 47 years worth of working out!
Old 06-16-20, 10:38 PM  
Loriann

Almost 40 years for me. I was not talented/coordinated enough for team sports in high school, but I came into my own when I found home workouts after graduation! Joanie Greggins (I had the cassette), Charlene Prickett and, of course, Margaret Richard. One day I found Cathe on Exercise TV and my world changed again. From her forum I found VF and so many other workouts. It’s been a great time so far. Looking forward to another 40!

Lori
Old 06-17-20, 07:34 AM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

I was always involved in sports. My mother loves ice skating and tennis (her arthritis forced her to hang up her skates and racquet when she was in her mid 80's) We have pictures of me on ice skates probably from when I was still learning to walk. I played sports all the way through school, Saturday morning activities in elementary school, then competitive teams in junior/senior high and college. I don't think I was ever one of the fittest people on the team, but I'm sure I was in good shape - you kind of had to be

After college I kept up with biking, and at different times I owned a stepper and a NordicTrack. It wasn't until a friend introduced me to VF and home workouts that I became more involved in and knowledgeable about general fitness and home exercise. Now in my 50's the competitiveness is gone, and I am so grateful to be able to create a well-rounded fitness regimen.
Old 06-18-20, 12:44 PM  
Exercise Diva

Started working out to the Firm when Vol 1 was released!
Exercise Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-20, 03:10 PM  
Rose

35 + years being a Beginner Exerciser!

Started in middle school with an aerobics teacher having us jump around and Kick Kick Kick to pop music. I then would then go home, kicking in front of a mirror for 20 minutes to the music recorded from the radio on a cassette tape.
I "think" I did Richard Simmons? He was on General Hospital for awhile, does anyone remember that?

Even as a child, I walked. Walking has been a favorite, even necessary activity. I branched out to Tae Bo, using just the Basics as I was never strong enough for the Advanced. Found VF and felt like I came home though I rarely post. For a few years, I did Kundalini with Raviana and a basic Tae Bo plus walking. I was in Great shape! Then onto Core Fusion, Slim in Six and Leslie Sansone. Fell in love with Ballet Beautiful but hurt myself by doing the same activity too much.

After all this exercise, I'm still a beginner. Can't do a full pushup, pretty weak, but I make sure I move. Now I workout to Margaret Richard, Leslie Sansone, Richard Simmons and Qi Gong. I love VF! People here are so positive and helpful. It's fun reading the old threads as it relaxes my mind the same way exercise does.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
consistency, first workout, first workouts, vf history