Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-24-20, 01:22 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey12 View Post
The idea of accessing and using streaming services (even if we had excellent internet to support it - which is a whole other dilemma) seems so much harder. With streaming services, it puts the onus on the individual to look for and find something to watch, rather than just turning on the TV to see what's being offered at that moment. I'm not sure I'm expressing myself correctly here and getting my point across. I don't want to have to figure out what I want to watch first. I want to turn on the TV and be presented with options.

We watch a lot of TV. We like TV. Dang it, I don't want it to change.

Kim
I know what you mean, my dad has had DirectTV for decades and since they just keep increasing the price, he's paying an arm and a leg. But he likes how the recorded programs show up in a scrolling grid in the order they were recorded, so that after dinner he can watch all his shows in the order they were broadcast while skipping the ads. I tried to get him to switch to YoutubeTV which is only $50 a month, has the channels he wants and has unlimited DVR, but he didn't like the interface which is more like Netflix with a bunch of avatars.

Streaming does take getting used to but since we were already paying for Netflix, Prime and Hulu (I got their Black Friday deal of $2 a month for a year) and can get local channels over the air, I figured cable was no longer worth it if it was hardly being watched.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-20, 02:59 PM  
IceQueen07

For those that have switched to streaming, do you have any issue with your data usages for the internet? I have AT&T and even though it says unlimited, it isn't truly that.

We have Directv and for the past year I have had a credit monthly which has kept the bill low, but that is about to expire and I am thinking of getting rid of it after 21 years. We don't watch a whole lot of stations so it seems a waste to pay for it.

**Candice**
IceQueen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-20, 03:12 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceQueen07 View Post
For those that have switched to streaming, do you have any issue with your data usages for the internet? I have AT&T and even though it says unlimited, it isn't truly that.

We have Directv and for the past year I have had a credit monthly which has kept the bill low, but that is about to expire and I am thinking of getting rid of it after 21 years. We don't watch a whole lot of stations so it seems a waste to pay for it.
We did, and when I say streaming, I mean Netflix, Hulu, Prime, etc., as my brief stints into fitness streaming never caused much of a problem. There are settings you can tweak in Netflix and Hulu to limit usage, but not in Prime, and it's an absolute data HOG. We've found Hulu is the best for the least data hogging. But when we went to streaming only and dropped cable, we knew we'd have to up our internet data plan to the next level or we'd be going over every single month. Hope that helps (and was what you were asking!).
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-20, 09:23 AM  
nyskier
VF Supporter

I listen to Jim Cramer’s Mad Money sometimes, and I’ll never forget that he said: “look for companies with recurring revenue streams.” This was when Netflix was just starting, and boy was he right. Almost all of the media companies have hopped on this bandwagon.
nyskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-20, 05:29 PM  
wendug

I'm reviving this thread because I've been having streaming issues. I signed up for the 30 day free trial of Les Mills earlier this week. First couple of days I had no problem, but the third day it kept freezing on me. I was able to do the entire workout, but had several breaks in it due to the buffering. Today I tried to do a Body Combat workout. I made it through the warm up and then, you guessed it, it froze on me. I decided to bail on it and just did an Ilaria Powerstrike DVD. Has anyone else been having streaming issues? Could it be because everyone is streaming right now? Thank goodness I have plenty of DVD's to work out to!
Old 03-22-20, 05:31 PM  
sherry7899

Wendy, I think LMOD is overwhelmed now.
You can download the workouts to phones or mobile devices to use offline. You cannot download to computers.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-20, 05:38 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Wendy, I think LMOD is overwhelmed now.
You can download the workouts to phones or mobile devices to use offline. You cannot download to computers.
Sherry, yeah, I was thinking LMOD is overwhelmed with all the people trying them instead of going to the gym. Frustrating, but I understand.
Old 03-23-20, 10:41 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
I saw this funny article in the NYTimes. While it isn't about fitness content I thought it summarizes the rent versus own calculations we make here:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/20/o...ign=pockethits
Really great article!

We dumped DirecTV a few years ago and got an antenna. We don't miss it. If we want local, we listen to the radio. Most local stations have apps to get the headlines.

When my DH goes on trips and has cable, he flips through all 400 channels in about two minutes. It's mostly junk TV.

I hate the subscription model. Out satellite provider, Hughes, makes streaming very difficult. I need to be able to download something and watch it later.

I only subscribe to Prime at the moment. I don't subscribe to any fitness sites.

p.s.
I have a wall of TV and movie DVDs, Blu-rays and 4K discs. As long is there is electricity, we will never be a a loss for video entertainment.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-20, 10:57 AM  
sherry7899

Alta, we have more than one wall of dvds and blu rays......we will never run out of stuff to watch. There are several shows/movies we love and will watch repeatedly that had been available streaming and were taken off streaming. If we really like something, we buy it.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-20, 11:36 PM  
Betty Boop

My internet connection went out for several hours today. I was sure glad I had my DVDs plus what I had downloaded to Purple Player.

Tags
cable, cord cutting, dvds versus streaming