Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-19, 01:35 PM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey12 View Post
I like to count up. Even when the instructor is counting down, I am still counting up in my head.

Kim
LOL. I just KCM's Upper Body Strength from Body Design and she does 10 reps by counting up to 5 then back down. I found I just kept counting up even when she switched to down.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-19, 01:39 PM  
Jennifer P.
VF Supporter

When I do video workouts I count down--I do this many times before the instructor starts to do it . When I do my own thing, I have to count up or I'd lose count.

Let's keep this beautiful planet & all its wonderful creatures alive!
Jennifer P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-19, 01:45 PM  
laurajhawk

I like to count up. If the video instructor is counting down, I'm fine with it, but if I'm doing my own counting, I count up. Sometimes the instructor gets us started on 10 reps, say, but isn't counting each one, and just as I'm thinking 5, 6, ... the instructor cuts in and goes "4, 3, ..." which just messes with me, lol.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-19, 01:55 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

I count down and sometimes speak firmly over an instructor who wants to count up. For a 16-count exercise, I usually go up for 8, then down for 8 so I can end on the down.

I also count out loud about 90% of the time, and if DH is home when I'm working out (seldom), I tell him to ignore me, or else he'll be outside the door going "what? What?"
Old 05-29-19, 08:41 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I'm definitely a count down person. I want to know when it's over, not what I achieved.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-19, 11:49 AM  
Mickey12

Quote:
Originally Posted by athompson10 View Post
I count down and sometimes speak firmly over an instructor who wants to count up. For a 16-count exercise, I usually go up for 8, then down for 8 so I can end on the down.

I also count out loud about 90% of the time, and if DH is home when I'm working out (seldom), I tell him to ignore me, or else he'll be outside the door going "what? What?"
Allison,

I found your post so funny. Thanks for that.

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-19, 12:05 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

:d:d
Old 05-30-19, 11:29 AM  
severin817

Talking

When I was learning to teach group fitness classes I was told to count down because when you count up the class has no idea how many reps you will be doing. I've seen videos where the instructor just keeps counting to 8, over and over (Tae Bo anyone?) Drives me crazy.

I don't mind doing lots of reps but knowing how many I'll be doing lets me know how much energy I can exert til the end. Maybe that's just me

Laura
severin817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-19, 10:54 AM  
Jeanne Marie

I definitely count up!

A funny aside, I personal train two days a week and if we are doing both sides independently, like a bicep curl right, and then left, he insists we count the 24 total reps as 12 two times. In other words, I do a right bicep curl, and then a left, he counts "1" and goes to a total of 12. I count "2", right is "1" and left is "2" and so forth, and go up to 24. He says that isn't proper! LOL! I always like to count that I've done 24 rather than just 12. It sounds tougher, right?
Old 06-02-19, 11:32 AM  
kat999

This is hilarious. I like to count DOWN when I'm doing weight work, because it feels tougher to me and I'm usually begging for the set to be over. But when I'm doing cardio intervals, I count up, since I don't feel a perception of fatigue in the same way and I'm just trying to keep track of where I am in a pattern.

I get super annoyed when it's clear the instructor lost track, since I'm pretty meticulous. If she says there will be 18 reps of something, I count down as accurately as possible, and then suddenly when I'm on 5, she's on 7.