Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-13, 11:06 AM  
Blackadar

Hey folks, it's been a while, but I'm checking back in.

I got the basic set for Christmas and did the 60 minute live workout yesterday and the 30 minute upper body HIIT today. I've browsed just enough of the thread to see some people happy and some people dissatisfied. I think both opinions have some merit.

Since I have a very generous benefactor who has sent me a number of the Les Mills BodyCombat DVDs that are supposed to be for just the Les Mills instructors, the 60 minute live workout was very close to what I'm used to. I'd give this a solid "meh". Not because Dan/Rach were overbearing - I love their styles. Not because of the moves - I found the workout very well put together. But because of the music. The music has always driven the workouts to the point you're often punching with the music. But the music didn't grab me on this workout, even with the music loud option on. I'll do it again, but I really prefer my other BodyCombat DVDs over this one, with #49 being my absolute favorite.

So I popped in the Upper Body HIIT workout. Since it's not like BodyCombat, it was a chance to experience Dan and Rach in a different setting. Dan is certainly fired up, but again I like his energy. I think he's one of those guys who genuinely like what the do and it shows. And he is absoutely ripped for these DVDs - he makes Rach look soft. The workout itself was an absolute killer. Now I dialed down the intensity of my workouts during the Holiday season, so I'm not in as good of shape as I was last summer. This thing kicked my ass. I couldn't even do many of the planks at the end of the damn thing I was so wiped. At the end I sat there on my mat, totally wiped out. I'd compare this to a little bit like RushFit, but I like this better. It's short, tough as nails and damned effective. I wouldn't say I enjoyed it like I do the BodyCombat stuff, but I can see me doing this one quite often as a test of my fitness level. So I'll give it a thumbs-up.

Also, there's supposed to be a free 30 minute class workout DVD. How do you go about getting that?
Old 01-03-13, 01:53 PM  
kitty12

Hi - You mentioned an upper body HIIT, but also the basic set. I am guessing you are referring to the Upper Body add on DVD? Othewise there is Power HIIT and Plyo HIIT. I will be doing Upper Body first time this week.

The 30 minute live version was sent with the pre-orders. I really really liked it. Mine was in a separate envelope from the main DVDs, as were the Warrior add-ons.

As an FYI, Power HIIT reminded me some of Rushfit.
kitty12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-13, 03:02 PM  
Irisg1

Thanks for the reviews. I've done all of the Combat workouts in the basic set, but have yet to tackle the HiiT workouts. I need to get to them soon, but I confess HiiT workouts are not my cup of tea. I do them sometimes for variety, and I will try these, simply because it's a Dan & Rach workout and I love the two of them .
Old 01-03-13, 03:18 PM  
andtckrtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irisg1 View Post
Thanks for the reviews. I've done all of the Combat workouts in the basic set, but have yet to tackle the HiiT workouts. I need to get to them soon, but I confess HiiT workouts are not my cup of tea. I do them sometimes for variety, and I will try these, simply because it's a Dan & Rach workout and I love the two of them .
It might help that the HIIT workouts (well, at least the first one) are very atypical. The first starts with a 10 minute strength circuit. Then goes to legs - that's more typical - squat jumps and power lungs. Then goes to Burpees - a total a 36 - broken down in sets of 8, 12 and 16. Then it's plank work. I really like that one.
Old 01-03-13, 04:02 PM  
andtckrtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
Also, there's supposed to be a free 30 minute class workout DVD. How do you go about getting that?
I would agree that the Body Combats are better, but I do like the variety in this set, and I'm enjoying the rotation. I, too, wish the music were louder or better, but it's still good.

The Live workout is 60 minutes, and you get it free if you order through a coach.
Old 01-03-13, 04:13 PM  
JP44

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtckrtoo View Post
I would agree that the Body Combats are better, but I do like the variety in this set, and I'm enjoying the rotation. I, too, wish the music were louder or better, but it's still good.

The Live workout is 60 minutes, and you get it free if you order through a coach.
The free workout when you order thru a Coach is 30 min. long, IIRC. The 60 min. is part of the basic set.

Joan
JP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-13, 04:50 PM  
andtckrtoo

Ah, you're right. I do have that one, as well.
Old 01-03-13, 07:13 PM  
kitty12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP44 View Post
The free workout when you order thru a Coach is 30 min. long, IIRC. The 60 min. is part of the basic set.

Joan
Yep. I think the regular 30 minute is good to get to learn the moves, but I have replaced it in the rotation with the Live one which I think is more fun, and also didn't seem to have the audio problems (meaning I can hear the instructors and the music).
kitty12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-13, 09:35 AM  
jessicarobin

So how do you get the BobyCombat DVD's? I watched some on youtude and they look awesome?
jessicarobin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
body combat, combat 30 live, les mills body combat, les mills combat