Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-12, 08:43 PM  
Yoyogirl72

I've used MFP since April and log daily. Some days ( thankfully only a few) I'm way over my calories for the day. I log EVERYTHING I put into my mouth. It keeps me honest. I lose weight when I keep a deficit. I eat my allotted calories (sometimes a bit over ;p) and exercise off at least 200+ calories. I wear a heart rate monitor to get as accurate a calorie burn as I can and always log my workouts into MFP. I've lost 25 lbs so far so far thru calorie counting on MFP and exercising. I LOVE this app. It keeps me honest. Way better than weight watchers. And it's free! You can enter in your own recipes and track calories per serving. The app did make me buy a digital scale to weigh out serving sizes. I found out I was eating way more calories in nuts and cheeses than I thought. I never thought I'd be one of THOSE people who weigh their food. . But it's taught me what serving sizes should be. I highly recommend this app!
Yoyogirl72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-12, 09:25 PM  
wellnesswife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyogirl72 View Post
I've used MFP since April and log daily. Some days ( thankfully only a few) I'm way over my calories for the day. I log EVERYTHING I put into my mouth. It keeps me honest. I lose weight when I keep a deficit. I eat my allotted calories (sometimes a bit over ;p) and exercise off at least 200+ calories. I wear a heart rate monitor to get as accurate a calorie burn as I can and always log my workouts into MFP. I've lost 25 lbs so far so far thru calorie counting on MFP and exercising. I LOVE this app. It keeps me honest. Way better than weight watchers. And it's free! You can enter in your own recipes and track calories per serving. The app did make me buy a digital scale to weigh out serving sizes. I found out I was eating way more calories in nuts and cheeses than I thought. I never thought I'd be one of THOSE people who weigh their food. . But it's taught me what serving sizes should be. I highly recommend this app!

Thank you all for your input!! Congrats on your weight loss Yoyogirl. If you want to be friends on MFP...PM me
wellnesswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-12, 12:10 AM  
gymmom

I love the search feature for foods by brand name. Nearly EVERYTHING I have searched has been in there - even random stuff like Trader Joe's no guilt kale and yogurt dip. I've been a WW online member and was often frustrated when what I thought were common name brand items wouldn't pop up via search.
gymmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-12, 07:23 AM  
Blackadar

VF group on myfitnesspal:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3387-vfers
Old 10-04-12, 08:47 AM  
Poodlepants

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymmom View Post
I love the search feature for foods by brand name. Nearly EVERYTHING I have searched has been in there - even random stuff like Trader Joe's no guilt kale and yogurt dip. I've been a WW online member and was often frustrated when what I thought were common name brand items wouldn't pop up via search.
I agree. I am tracking through WW right now (online, too) and I am considering leaving because the MFP is so much larger than WW. WW is ridiculous. Their apps stink and the developers have no interest in improving it. I am amazed at what I can find on MFP.

They also have a recipe builder of their own. Why I am paying WW? Why should I help subsidize Jessica Simpson's weight loss?
Poodlepants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-12, 09:00 AM  
sbh

I've lost 11 pounds using SparkPeople. I too didn't realize how much I was eating. I've finally cut way down on bread and sugar. Their database has grown since I originally joined in 2006. I am learning about portion sizes and fat content. For eight years my weight didn't budge, but now....woo hoo!
sbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-12, 01:02 PM  
Breezy Trousers

Thanks for this thread and the inspiring posts. I just joined. Now that I have my fitness collection where I want it, this is the next stage.
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-12, 01:51 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodlepants View Post
They also have a recipe builder of their own. Why I am paying WW? Why should I help subsidize Jessica Simpson's weight loss?
LOL. For real.

I am now starting to believe, Calorie counting isn't so bad. They have great tools available and nutritional information for just about anything we eat.

They should stop saying stop counting calories since we arne't counting them in our head. And you don't have to be on a *special* diet to do it. Richard Simmons has been saying this for all the time we've known him.

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-12, 10:35 PM  
Yoyogirl72

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytbody View Post
LOL. For real.

I am now starting to believe, Calorie counting isn't so bad. They have great tools available and nutritional information for just about anything we eat.

They should stop saying stop counting calories since we arne't counting them in our head. And you don't have to be on a *special* diet to do it. Richard Simmons has been saying this for all the time we've known him.

Calorie counting is great! Honestly, it's unbelievable how many calories we eat without realizing it and the first time you actually start logging all your food is shocking. Now I look at a piece of cake or candy bar or glass of wine, etc. and automatically know if I can fit it in to my calories for that day or not. I don't believe in deprivation cause I know it'll make me fail, so I have that piece of chocolate (daily) and just figure it into MFP and try to work it off. It is empowering to know what the actual calorie count is of the foods we eat. Knowledge is power!
Yoyogirl72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-12, 03:07 AM  
Harantwanders

I use My Net Diary Pro and like it better than MFP but they are very similiar.