Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 09-11-21, 08:19 PM  
JustSandra

Oops, I've fallen behind again!

Thursday's Workout: Core & Legs from Essentrics Strength & Stretch In Motion.

Today's Workout: Upper Body from Jessica Smith's Walk Strong 3.

I didn't manage a workout on Thursday, and Friday is my weekly day off due to my schedule. Tomorrow I plan to start up my walks.

I love the idea of "growing old disgracefully!"

Thank you all for your supportive comments re my niece. She just turned 35, and says she realized she has never lived on her own -- always with roommates or a boyfriend. She is so excited by the idea! Unfortunately a very promising option just fell through, but my niece is very resourceful and I'm sure she'll find something soon.

My exercise room refresh is almost done. Just waiting on the delivery of the actual daybed and mattress, both scheduled for Tuesday.

Waving to all!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-21, 08:49 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Good morning! Here's what I've been up to:

Sunday
~ Kassandra's 10 Minute Yoga for Gut Health plus morning affirmations
~ Jessica Valant 10 Minute Pilates for Beginners
~ 20 minute lunch walk
~ Beach walk in the evening
~ 8,333 steps

Saturday
~ Kassandra's 20 Minute Morning Yin Yoga Total Body Stretch plus morning affirmations
~ 4,858 steps

I'm glad yesterday is over. I had a heavy heart all day, and the sky, air and weather were so eerily similar to 20 years ago. If anyone is in need of some emotional support cat therapy, try the Kassandra Total Body Stretch link. Her fluffy cat is present doing yoga, making kisses, cuddling and head bumping. It was such a pick me up.

My yin teacher/Reiki mentor had a yard sale so I went to check it out. I had to see what a yoga teacher and Reiki master sells in her front yard! There wasn't anything left when I got there - people had been lined up at 7:00 a.m. waiting - but I saw Sarah Powers' Insight Yoga book and grabbed it for a buck just to be sociable. Her house is like a fairy tale - tucked in the woods with moss instead of a lawn, Buddha-themed rock and shade gardens, stone ledges with plantings and Hindu statues tucked in here and there, right down to the lotus pond instead of a backyard. Lotuses, I mean come on this was out of Yogini Better Habitats & Ashrams Magazine. They're pulling stakes and going to live in Europe.

Pam - thank you for the Strapless report. Maybe it's just one day of body weight work. I can always modify if it's not a main focus.

Sandra, I'm so sorry your niece's promising option fell through. I hope it won't deter her for long.

Beth, that must make you happy to learn your mother has been doing your meditation. I have the same gray thing - even though they're colored, my gray hair is wiry.

Paine, I lay down for meditation too, or cozy up in my recliner. Meditation can't happen when you're squirming in discomfort. Thank you for the hat recommendation, that looks great for beach and trail walking.

Margot, I like your solution of covering hat hair with a hat. How sweet about your swan family - the parents are so loving and attentive. Have you ever seen an adult swimming with all the tiny cygnets tucked in on its back?

Everyone enjoy the rest of your weekend.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-21, 10:45 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Good morning!

Friday was a rest day for me.

Yesterday’s workouts:
~Shakti Warrior: Free Flow
~Ballet Beautiful: Bikini Cardio Blast
~Strapless in 10: Day 6 - More pushups, modified & used my push up handles.
~PT exercises
~Trifecta Pilates challenge: Day 1 - I did the first 15 min. It was okay, but 30 min is longer than I wanted. I prefer the shorter YT workouts from Robin Long & Jessica Valant
~Yin on my own….forward bends, side bends, twists, hip openers + hip & upper body MELT.

Regarding hats….. I wear a baseball cap when I’m out walking. I love the sun, but not when it’s in my eyes. I’m a bit photophobic, likely from my susceptibility to migraines. My hair is short so hat head isn’t usually an issue. Since my hair has gone grey, it’s gotten coarser. I’m debating colouring it again. I love the hat you posted Paine.

Sandra - I also hope things work out for yoyr niece.

Pat - Your yin teacher’s home sounds idyllic! Is she the one who led the zoom class I joined with you last year? Yes, yesterday was a day for solemn remembrance.

Paine - I also lay down for meditation. I’ll have to check out Beth’s latest one. I was good at getting in daily guided meditations a while back but it’s been a while.

Margot - Love the swan family!

Waves to all!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-21, 11:02 AM  
cyana

I had lots of reading to get caught up, although I try to at least peek in every day to see what everyone is up to. I'm going to work out later and will have to work at least a few hours today, unfortunately. I didn't work yesterday. It was a heavy heart day, beginning with reading about the search and rescue dogs from 9/11. While their respiratory systems didn't appear to be affected like the human first responders, some of them had to be retired, after finding multiple bodies and no survivors. Here's a link to one of the dogs I read about: https://www.today.com/pets/last-9-11...rescue-t229805

I signed up for the 21-Day Flexibility and Mobility Essentrics Challenge. Looks like Jenny will be teaching the live classes (which I'll have to catch later in the day) and there will be some classes from Season 13 and 14, which I haven't seen. There's also a Fit and Healthy Challenge starting. It's always hard for me to choose, but right now being in old and stiff mode, the less intense option is probably the correct level.

I'm doing some bulk cooking - just took the JSP's from the Whole Wallet and some small sweet potatoes that I bought from a local farmer yesterday out of the oven, so my house smells absolutely delightful. I'm trying to decide whether I want to make a batch of seed crackers later. They're easy to throw together, but you have to mind the oven for several hours, so that's a TBD.

I finally let Cathe out of the box. Her band work-outs are packaged very nicely - they come in a plastic zipper pouch that hold the DVD and the bands (which are in their own drawstring bag). Unfortunately, I got bands with both DVD's and no loops, so I had to email customer service to let them know. The bands appear to be of very good quality and I'm looking forward to using them.

Sandra - Bummer that your niece's potential housing option fell through - fingers crossed that an even better opportunity will come her way. Keep us posted on your work-out room refresh - that's something I can relate to versus aiming for House Beautiful (which would be an absolute never for me, in the interest of full disclosure!).

Pat - Thanks for the Kassandra recommendation - and complete with cat! I can't remember what sort of search I'd entered in YT yesterday for yoga, but that was one of the options that came up, so I may do that this afternoon since you've endorsed it. I want your yin teacher's house - sounds like my dream yard! Loved the reference to Yogini Better Habitats & Ashrams Magazine. What part of Europe are they heading to?

Margot - I hope you don't mind that I adopted your now-famous quote into my signature. I'm thinking of adding "Unapologetic old hippie", as well. Your pink coat sounds high on the fun factor, and I'm all for that. I don't know if you've seen Lee's Depression practice - it's filmed in the UK, complete with a cameo appearance by some lovely water critters. I bookmarked the Anneke link. I think David Kam oozes such a fun sweetness and he's very strong and graceful - all in one package.

Paine - I had to smile at your grandson being fascinated with the street sweeper - he sounds like my kind of guy since I want to know how everything works. I remember the first time I ever saw a Zamboni and immediately wanted to drive it......and I've always wanted to take a turn at being the person at the airport with the orange wands who guides the planes into parking position at the gate. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHve-ePFkgU

Pam - How did you make out with the walking poles? Mine are now saying "If Pam is using hers, you should be using yours. Get us out of this closet!"

Beth - Isn't it funny how our moms notice things like the background in your meditation video?!? Like Paine, I meditate with my eyes closed, so that would've never crossed my mind. I think it's sweet that your mom is using your videos.

Carolyn - I haven't been to TJ's in ages (probably late 2020), but the green vegetable foursome sounds interesting. The smoked paprika sauce in that red beans and rice recipe sounds like it would be really yummy.

Waves to ALL!

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-21, 12:32 PM  
Twigs

Hello everyone!

Yesterday workouts:
- HealthBarre Catch Up
- Long walk on our local Common and back through the local village.
- Jessica Valant Neck Pain Relief and Shoulder Workout

Today:
- Karin Anatomy 101 Hip & Rib Mobility
- Yamuna Save Your Pelvis. It felt as though I had a new pair of legs afterwards.
- Somatics Daily Practice

I need to move, so plan to do a short Qigong practice later.

Beth - I enjoyed your 'Thoughts as Trains' meditation. Amazingly, my mind was quite still as I was visualising trains coming into and out of the station. I'm not so good just following the breath but do better giving my mind something to do. Like Pam,I've got out of the habit of doing a daily meditation lately and need to get back into it.

Sandra - Wishing your niece good luck in finding just the perfect place for her. I can imagine it's very empowering for her to be setting up on her own for the first time.

Pat - Your Yin teacher/Reiki mentor's home certainly sounds as though it belongs in a fairy tale. Our lawn is mostly moss too, although not intentionally! We're just bad gardeners. Did you cave and get those wrist weights? I thought they were cute.

Pam - Do you think your daily PT exercises are helping your hip already, or is too early to say? A new hair 'look' sounds like fun. I've let mine grow quite long over the past year but may have it chopped off next time I go to the hairdressers.

Cyana - Thank you for posting the link on the unsung heroes of 9/11. I found it quite emotional. As Pat said, it was a sombre day yesterday; a time for remembrance and reflection. I love the aroma of baking. Your JSPs sound . I made crackers last week and plan on making some low sugar apple jam and apple chutney tomorrow, since we have so many apples now falling from our tree. Why do they have to fall all at once! lol I have done Lee's practice for Depression. It's quite apt, as the weather looks so gloomy. It had to be in the UK! I love 'Unapologetic Hippie'. You should add that one in too.

Paine - Hope you're having a lovely relaxing day in the .

Waves to all.

"Practice makes progress" ~ Sandra Hanna
Twigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-21, 02:46 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I do think it's sweet that my mom meditates with me! And of course I accept her constructive feedback.

Sandra, your niece seems to have skills to land on her feet; I hope she finds something soon. Maybe you'll post some pics of your workout area refresh?

Pam, I've had some thoughts about coloring my hair again...but I don't really want to go down that road. When more gray starts coming in, I might have my stylist add some highlights or something.

cyana, I thought that the story about the dog was both sad and sweet.

Margot, glad you found the meditation helpful! I think of mindfulness meditation as having the goal of not necessarily keeping thoughts quiet or still, but as helping you increase your ability to keep the mind focused where you want it - in this case, on the trains rather than all over the place. I'm definitely another who has gotten away from daily meditation!

Be right back with my workouts...

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-21, 02:55 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Monday
Kimberly Spreen-Glick (YT) - Combat Bar Work Pt 2
YogaCandi (YT) - Yin Yoga for Back Knots

Tuesday
Yoga with Tim (YT) - Yoga for Neck & Upper Back 10m
FitOn (YT) - Vytas Improve Your Mobility
100 KB swings
TAUGHT yoga at studio

Wednesday This was my off workout day!
100 KB swings + 20 DL + 4 core moves
random kickboxing on YT (rejected several routines)
10m recumbent bike

Thursday
in office: Lee Holden (YT) - Qi Gong for Upper Back, standing
50 KB swings
Bellyfit Embodied Goddess - #6, Get Connected
Senior Shape Fitness (YT) - 10m Abs & Core; 10m Full Body Stretching on Mat

Friday
TAUGHT yoga at college
100 KB swings
Essentrics Stretch in Motion - Shoulders, UB, & Hamstrings
Katie Vantucci Yoga (YT) - Upper Back Rx

Saturday
Caroline Girvan (YT) - 15m DB Shoulder Workout
Daniel PT Fitness (YT) - 20m Full Body Kettlebell (1st series, 4 rounds)
Senior Shape Fitness (YT) - Pilates Mat Toning for Abs, Butt, & Thighs
Ekhart 7 Daily Yoga Practices - Strengthening

Sunday
100 KB swings
Body Barre (YT) - Killer Inner Thigh & Glutes
TruYoga (Vimeo) - Yoga Class with Aimee, Aug31 (2020)

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-21, 04:11 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

YouTube: Kassandra's 20 Minute Morning Yin Yoga Total Body Stretch

Thank you to Pat for linking Kassandra's Yin practice--it felt good!

Yesterday was a rest day. I went to several markets, did food prep for the week, laundry and house chores.

Cyana, my Whole Wallet didn't have any JSPs yesterday. They have been hard to find lately.
I too was fascinated watching the Zamboni resurface the ice at the hockey games.
I'm laughing at the idea of you guiding planes to park with orange wands!

Margot, we're having a pretty day here today-- 75 degrees and sunny.

I'm waving to everyone!
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-21, 06:16 PM  
cyana

Today:
YoQi - Six Healing Sounds - Marisa Cranfill
MFML - Your Daily Feet Practice - Adam Hocke
MFML - New Moon Intention Meditation - Dirish Shaktides
YT - 20 Minute Morning Yin Full Body Stretch - Yoga with Kassandra and Cleo
YT - 5 Minute Morning Affirmations - Yoga with Kassandra

I need to figure out whether I can adjust the tracking on my DVD player, as Marisa's practice was slightly jerky. Just the video, the audio was fine. I've never had that problem with my DVD player and hope there isn't a defect with the DVD. Or worse, hopefully my player isn't going down the tubes, as that one is a combo VHS/DVD player. I liked Adam's feet practice and used a pinky ball. I'd never done a practice with Dirish - It was a seated meditation doing some breathwork that made me feel like I was doing KY with R/A (wow, I really need to revisit some of my R/A DVD's!) and then a nice long shavasana. Cleo stole the show during the yin practice - I could even hear purring a few times. Apparently that inspired my cat to join me on the mat.

Paine - My biggest concern with the Zamboni is whether I'd go crashing through a wall! I have always wanted to do the wand thing at the airport - as long as I can remember!!! I'd be like a kid in a candy store.

Margot - I bought some local apples from one of my farmers yesterday. My long-time "apple lady" hasn't been at the market in 2 years, unfortunately. She would bring some cool heirlooms that I'd never heard of along with some of the more common varieties. I used to buy a large quantity and dehydrate apple rings at least once or twice during apple season. They were great for snacking, travel and I'd even give them to friends. Save Your Pelvis sounds like it would feel amazing.

I blew off work today, so I need to wind it down early and get an early start in the AM.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-21, 08:03 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Happy Moan Day! Good morning!

My only "workout" yesterday was Bird's 12 minute yoga in bed plus Kassandra's evening affirmations meditation. I spent most of the day UFYH'ing with reading or stretching breaks. Got some neglected chores done and that feels as good as a workout.

Pam - yes, Heidi is the woman who led that lovely yin/nidra class. I had an interesting chat with my grandniece who went through YTT at the studio - Heidi took up her yoga and spiritual life full time after a career in finance! From capitalist to spiritualist. Her husband is a Buddhist. They have Nepalese full moon rituals in that glorious haven. Now I want to experience that! I remain interested in Strapless - thank you for the continuing feedback.

Cyana, they don't even know which country yet. The husband is leaning toward the Portuguese coast. Can I come back as Heidi next time around? Thank you for the rescue dogs link. The helper animals are so often forgotten. Good luck with your challenge! Oooh, just notice YoQi Healing Sounds, I put that on my list.

Hmm, Margot that Yumana sounds really nice. I haven't splurged on the wrist weights yet - maybe if I splurge on the Strapless series?

Beth, I didn't even notice that you have some grays. I noticed you did a FitOn workout. I have access to some on my WW app, they're good workouts but I find the instructors to be overly enthusiastic.

Paine, I'm happy that you enjoyed the Kassandra! How is GS warming up to school? Driving a Zamboni looks so soothing for some reason. I bet he sounds so cute when he says "Zamboni."

Waves to anyone who visits - make it a great day!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote