Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-13-21, 12:38 PM  
Leonana

Negin, thanks for the post. I had similar concerns about her calorie limits. In the video I watched, she stated 1200 per day. I guess that’s her weight loss mode.

I also don’t understand how she has so much arm definition from just her workouts. But maybe it’s genetic, and she gains muscle easily?

But I appreciate that she encourages women over 50 to exercise. I think her bubbly personality also attracts a lot of people.

Regarding weight loss, Justina Ercole has said in her videos about food that she doesn’t believe in calorie counting. She mentioned on IG that she will be doing a new one and expects to get criticized in the comment section. That should be interesting lol.

I like how Jessica Smith handles the food question. She collaborates with a nutritionist and refers people to her. Plus, since the D word can be so polarizing, it’s probably less stressful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiga View Post
Weights and walking work for me--no stress, more calorie allowance and fun activities thanks to enough strength.
Great way to summarize it. It works for me the same way.
Old 08-13-21, 12:47 PM  
donnamp

I think, for me, anyway, Pahla's appeal is her personality and the fact that her workouts are not overwhelming and are easy to fit in - I really gravitated towards her during the last few years when I had quite a bit of personal stress in my life - (not to mention COVID!). Her chatty personality made the time go by and kept my mind engaged and off my troubles. Her workouts also didn't take a lot of time and were easy for me to fit in when I didn't want to do anything. I don't disagree with a lot of her advice, but I also don't follow everything she says/does to the letter, either. it is like everything else in life you have to take what works for you and leave the rest behind.

I think that is a good point Taiga made about her past endurance events - and how cutting back may have made her feel better. She participated in many extremely long distance events and that is definitely wearing on the body.

I'll still do her stuff from time to time b/c I find her engaging and her chattiness and positivity work for me - but I do think I need to mix things up and not restrict myself to her workouts only. But that is pretty true of all instructors!

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-21, 03:40 PM  
ellaenchanted

So, this post is not meant as diet talk but more of how individuals are different.

I don't think it is fair to say someone who takes in 1350 calories barely eats. Sorry, but I am a shorter person (5'2") and it is perfectly normal. I eat closer to 1500 but I am also okay with not slim like I used to be. I've always been pretty active with some down times here and there but what has remained consistent is that when I consistently overeat, even just a little more everyday, I gain weight and keep gaining. Yes, I am perfectly healthy and, no, there are thyroid issues or anything. My dear friend is 5'7" and has always been slim but I could never eat as much she does- I have known her for almost 25 years from college to starting middle age and this has always been the case. It is what it is. My sister is law is Japanese and eats mostly the traditional Japanese food ( and portion sizes) even though shei s in the US now and I guarantee that her intake is around 1300-1350 on a daily basis.

I think that is why she repeatedly says that the numbers (calories, sleep water intake, etc) that are right for her are not what is right anyone else. If there is one phrase she repeats over and over it is "do what is right for you and your own body."
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-21, 03:47 PM  
Negin

Thank you all for your kind words and for helping me to not feel bad about being very open here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbh View Post
I now know what my moderate is and I just apply that to whatever workout I want to do.
Yes, finding moderation and balance is what's most important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyana View Post
I like Pahla, but admit that limited doses are preferable, as the chattiness isn't what I'm looking for just after crawling out of bed.
Yes, I think as with many instructors, limited doses are best. I guess that's part of the reason why I've never been able to stick with a rotation. I'd like to, but I just can't seem to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollamyn View Post
I do like reading the success stories, though, and I also enjoy Pahla's Fitness Matters podcast.
Donna, love your post. This is how I felt with the FB Group, the same one that you're on. I noticed after a while, from a few of my posts, as well as posts and comments from others, that the mere word "struggle" or "overwhelmed" or anything like that would be challenged. The responses were often along the lines of, "Why do you think that it's overwhelming?" and, "Maybe it's something that you need to look into," or, "When you say that you have a problem with x, then maybe you need to look more deeply," ... you get my drift. Well sometimes, there are people out there who view certain things as overwhelming (such as seeing a million posts on my FB feed or weight loss as a struggle or whatever). I get what they're all saying about personal responsibility and all, but sometimes you just want to vent or be real, and I noticed that posts like that weren't encouraged at all. Positive vibes only. I appreciate that, but sadly, life isn't always that way. I remember one time, she answered my question on a Live Q&A. It was something about "feeling overwhelmed about not getting the exact same number of calories every day." I don't remember her offering anything useful really. She basically asked me, "Why do I feel overwhelmed?" and how I need to dig deeper. Of course, I couldn't respond and say, "Because it sounds like a pain in the neck!" Like you, I enjoyed the success stories and NSVs, but I didn't enjoy the rest of it.

Hope that your ankle is feeling better. I love Jessica Smith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiga View Post
Weights and walking work for me--no stress, more calorie allowance and fun activities thanks to enough strength.
Such a helpful and informative post. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
I also don’t understand how she has so much arm definition from just her workouts. But maybe it’s genetic, and she gains muscle easily?
I've thought the same exact thing about her arm definition!
I like what you mentioned about Justine Ercola and Jessica Smith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
I don't disagree with a lot of her advice, but I also don't follow everything she says/does to the letter, either. it is like everything else in life you have to take what works for you and leave the rest behind.

I'll still do her stuff from time to time b/c I find her engaging and her chattiness and positivity work for me - but I do think I need to mix things up and not restrict myself to her workouts only. But that is pretty true of all instructors!

Donna
Yes, agreeing with you on all counts. I always enjoy your posts, Donna.
Old 08-14-21, 08:35 AM  
donnamp

ellaenchanted - you are right - Pahla does not recommend a particular calorie goal for anyone - she suggests tools to find out what is your "right" number of calories and she also doesn't dictate what "moderate" is either - she always says "moderate for you".

Negin and Donna - I understand what you are saying about the "why do you feel overwhelmed" - yes, it is sometimes important to dig deep into your feelings - but you don't have to dig deep into everything - I mean some things just are what they are - 1,000 posts is overwhelming! LOL - You don't have to dig deep into every thought you have...for goodness' sake!

Hope everyone has a nice Weekend!

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-21, 09:39 AM  
Izzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Negin - thanks for your summary! I like Pahla quite a bit - but I can't bring myself to restrict and measure so many areas of my life. It reminds me of when I was in my early 20's and totally obsessed w/ calories and exercise and it wasn't healthy for me then and I can see it being potentially triggering for me now. And, I agree, in real life it is not possible to eat the same number of calories every single day - unless you do what she did which is to eat the same foods every single day. Which is not necessarily enjoyable or healthy and not necessarily possible if you have a family, want to eat with others, etc.

I have never joined FB so for good or bad I haven't joined any FB groups but I can see how cult worship can be a part of it.

I had no idea that Pahla's calories are so low! TBH as long as it wasn't affecting my health, I'd rather have a few extra pounds than be totally obsessed with logging food and calories. Been there, done that and don't want to do it again!

And I do agree about the sleep part - I haven't seen any good suggestions on how to stay asleep. I know, - relax, go to bed at the same time every night, create a sleep routine, get off your phone, etc.

I have also come to the unfortunate conclusion recently that doing a steady diet of Pahla B workouts may be triggering something in my SI joint/hip - I tend to get over-use injuries and her workouts more or less repeat the same types of moves - and that may be an issue for me. Hard to know though b/c I think I also get messed up from sitting at a desk all day too.

Anyway - I will still do her workouts from time to time and still listen in on what she has to say - I find her very pleasant and encouraging, but I don't/can't follow her "prescription"

Take care!

Donna
I agree especially the part about counting calories. I respect everyone is different and folks need to do what works for them. If you think of food as fuel for your body like gas and oil are fuel for your car, then you tend to eat what your body needs based on your age, level of activities, general health conditions etc. The thought of counting calories takes away from the science that food is your body's fuel. You no longer think to eat healthy, you think to count calories. If your calorie intake for the day is 1300 how many snicker bars is that and what makes up a snickers bar vs healthy foods? Also, counting calories steers your mind to always be thinking about food. You are researching your calories, writing it down, calculating etc etc all so you can eat a small tub of yogurt? We read many professional athletes eat a lot of calories per day. Yes, when they are actively training or performing. When they are not, their calorie intake goes down. Athletes in particular eat what they need to eat to perform. This is the fuel their bodies need. If counting calories helps someone then I support that but for me, all that thinking about food would just feel obsessive for me and would take the joy out of eating.
Old 08-14-21, 09:49 AM  
sherry7899

I wish I could get into her workouts, but the lack of music is just a total deal breaker for me!

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-21, 10:58 AM  
ellaenchanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I wish I could get into her workouts, but the lack of music is just a total deal breaker for me!
Have you ever tried growwithjo on youtube? Her workouts have music and they are moderate level. She has a fun, motivating energy.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-21, 11:24 AM  
prettyinpink

On calories, I am not sure this info graphic is perfectly accurate, but it mentions things I’ve seen many times before.

It’s one of the reasons I don’t believe anyone who says they consistently count and eat within a very narrow calorie range. Definitely not within 25 calories per day! It also shows that even if someone does eat exactly the same amounts of the same things over the course of each week, the number of calories they calculate that to be might be incorrect.

I recommend the link, but it mentions that even if you eat 100% packaged foods, FDA allows 20% range of accuracy for calorie counts on serving sizes. And estimating calories for fresh foods is not going to be precise. Even online charts giving calorie counts for amounts of food prepared different ways have error margins. People with different gut bacteria absorb slightly different calorie amounts of the same foods, and most people are inaccurate with measuring.

https://www.precisionnutrition.com/p...ng-calories-in

She is also selling her brand. This is the way she makes her living. So maybe that is really all she eats every day and never anything else. Or maybe it isn’t. It’s YouTube. And in three years, there will probably be another series of videos showing what she eats in a day, and it will be different. Maybe there will be a video about how what she is doing now didn’t work for her over time. Nothing against her, she seems generally sensible, but it’s how these channels seem to go, and it’s how you keep and grow a business.

And I agree with whoever pointed out credentials. I know plenty of people do want eating advice from personal trainers, or they wouldn’t offer. Many people who exercise are hoping for weight loss, and trainers know that results don’t come without also doing the work in the kitchen, so they give advice. But whether they have some sort of nutrition certificate or some nutrition component of the PT certification, or wrote a book or lost weight themselves, they are not experts in nutrition. I know this is obvious to posters at VF who are old enough and smart enough to not take personal medical or fitness advice from YouTube channels, but I just wanted to say I agree.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-21, 11:26 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellaenchanted View Post
Have you ever tried growwithjo on youtube? Her workouts have music and they are moderate level. She has a fun, motivating energy.
I have not tried her. Thank you for the suggestion!

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
appetite, lowering intensity, moderate intensity, over 50, pahla bowers, successful weight loss