Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-23-20, 12:53 PM  
Denise R
Exchange Moderator

Getting new NordicTrack spin bike, any tips?

Hi all!

I am getting my new spin bike this Saturday. I haven't done any spinning in a "long" while. I know that they will have beginner classes but how often is a good amount to really get the feel for it. I was thinking 3 days per week, does that sound good?

For all you spinners, can you give me any tips? I bought a new seat that has memory foam to help with comfort. I am really wanting to be able to make it through a 1 hour class. I need to lose weight for good and tone up my legs in the process. Anyone find spinning good for toning up the legs and glutes?

I have an old spin bike that doesn't have all the "bells and whistles" so my youngest daughter is going to spin with me. We are excited to give it a spin (pun intended)!

Any tips would be appreciated

"By far the most important application is those 18 inches between the table and your mouth. Your diet. Eat clean to get rid of fat." Robert Kennedy, Oxygen Magazine

"Having the body you want starts with loving the body you have." Mandy Ingber, Shape Magazine
Denise R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-20, 05:40 PM  
Hazel Porter

I don't know that you necessarily need to get a feel for spinning so much as you have to condition not only your cardiovascular system, muscles, and especially your seat to the rigors of riding again. I spin fairly regularly (1-3x a week), but if I go more than a couple, three weeks without getting on the bike, I will be saddle sore for the first couple of rides. For that reason, I always start back with shorter (no more than 20-30 minutes) rides for a couple sessions to get reacclimated. I'd recommend that for a (re)beginner as well. Save those 1hour classes for further down the line.

I'm personally not a fan of the big padded seats -- I feel like they actually create more friction in that area -- but I always wear padded shorts. You can find relatively inexpensive ones (in amongst the VERY expensive ones) at bikenashbar or on Amazon or sometimes Sierra Trading.

Spinning will certainly make your legs stronger if you use enough resistance, but really it's more about burning calories. You still want to consider doing strength work if you want to tone your lower body (which will also help with your riding).

Other tips. . . make sure the bike is properly set up. Search youtube for videos on how to position the seat height and fore/aft position and handlebars so you're in the perfect position to protect your knees and back from injury. Also be sure you know what the various riding positions (they're often called first, second, and third) are, although don't feel compelled to stand out of the pedals at first. If you're going to stand out of the saddle, make sure there's enough resistance on the pedals to let you feel fully supported when you're up. Keep your feet flat as you pedal -- you don't want to point your toes as you go around the front of the pedal stroke -- and do your best to keep your knees pulled into the center -- you see lots of people, both in spin classes and even more so out on the roads, riding their bikes with their knees winged out to the side ("chopping wood"), which is terrible for your knees. And one of the most helpful spinning tips I ever got was to think more about pulling your knees up rather than pushing down -- your legs will magically move much faster.

That's all I can think of right now. Enjoy your new bike and the time with your daughter and have fun!
Old 01-28-20, 06:00 PM  
TracyQ

I love spinning. I recently bought an inexpensive spin bike to use at home. I didn’t want to have to go through the uncomfortable breaking in period so I bought this inexpensive gel seat cover and have used it from the start. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have been able to spin almost daily for 45-60 minutes for the past month without any discomfort whatsoever.

Prior to buying my bike I would inconsistently take spin classes at the gym and would always have that uncomfortable breaking in period.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spin bike, spin bikes, spinning