Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-31-21, 05:12 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
I recently got an Adex adjustable club after enjoying some lightweight indian clubs.

I really like them both.

Mark Wildman on Youtube has good instruction, so does Summer Huntington

Kind of depends what you want to do, really.

I've started very light and am trying to be consistent over time. So far so good with the clubs. I do enjoy them, especially the light ones as a warmup.
Thank you for the info on Mark. Giving me more info. I just can’t get over that in 2021 I’m still interested

Wish I could afford an Adex adjustable. I bought some 5 and sent them back. I was doing the Onnit SC challenge but the program was way to fast. It was not a follow along type for me it was combat and it didn’t teach how to get the swings down before they took off to the next thing. The body weight program, again. No thanks.

Looks like another sleepless night as I try to get what I want and who to purchase from.

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-21, 07:35 AM  
akaAnnie

I want it too! I really need to work on shoulder and upper back muscles. Core too!
Indian clubs look fun...
akaAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-21, 09:01 AM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytbody View Post
Thank you for the info on Mark. Giving me more info. I just can’t get over that in 2021 I’m still interested

Wish I could afford an Adex adjustable. ...

I definitely advise starting light. I'm such a wimp in terms of grip strength that I haven't moved beyond using just the handle (without the screw in weight holder piece) that weighs about 3.5 pounds, IIRC. It's giving me a sense of how to do the moves, so maybe my muscle memory will help out as I get stronger.

One option is just to get the handle by itself at first. It seems that's what I maybe should have done, but this is my birthday present to myself, so I splurged. Working on my consistency of workouts is my primary goal for the next year.

I do think this work will help. I'm gradually developing a morning routine that involves using the light clubs for a few minutes to warm up my shoulders, the heavy handle for a while to improve my understanding of the moves, then some KB swings. As I get stronger I plan to add a few more short sessions like this each day, just so I get used to moving more, and build from there.

My hope is that I'll eventually work my way up to a more regular sort of workout with these weights. I enjoy it, and for me that's a huge motivator. Plus, weight work makes me feel like a bit of a badass, and I need more of that kind of self-encouragement.
Old 08-01-21, 12:28 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

I'm with you on feeling the weight.. as I sat all night I did find some woods that I like.

I also wrote to the Adex people because I could not understand if I needed to purchase one of those slugs.. I only want the 1 pound size.. that is suggested..

Having that extension of heavy weight is a big difference.. I don't look at the weight number so much as to lead me. I decided I want the shorter ones as Im short.. If they are too long they may be to large for my arm, distance. I'm saying 20 would be way to long..

I like the idea that i have of being able to walk around and pick one up and just do some swinging. I need to develope my ROM ON my left due to past surgery..

~~~Cheryl

Old 08-16-21, 04:52 PM  
BunnyHop

Just thought I'd check in with my experience using light indian clubs, and thought this thread would be the right place to add this fairly random comment.

Checking my journal, apparently I bought a set of one pound indian clubs last March, and have been using them fairly consistently as a morning warm up.

For my birthday, I got the Adex adjustable club, and realized that even the 3.5 pound handle was maybe a bit much for me just now.

My main goal is to improve my grip strength and overall fitness, so I'm in this for the long haul.

I bought a set of two pound Ultimate Body Press clubs to use when practicing the basics of the heavy club moves (like a shield cast) so I can keep good form as I learn.

I must say I really like the two pound weight. It seems right for me, as my grip strength is pretty wimpy, and I want to develop good form.

For me, as of now, the one pound clubs are great for a warm up like this by Dr. Ben Kim , and the two pound seem to be just the right intermediate step towards practicing good form with heavy clubs .
Old 08-16-21, 05:03 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Thank you Anna,

Glad you came back.

I did get Wood Indian clubs @2 lbs.

Too bad people laugh at the weight and that’s becUse they have not help that much weight as an extension of the arms

I’m glad I got the pair I got and I doubt I’ll outgrow them as there is no need.

I think I’m understanding the Aden is for people who want to swing Heavy clubs and that is another section from Indian clubs.

Mine can be adjustable but, I won’t any more weight

I have joined a free course on FB for a week and will do that and now I have another course lined up after this. I don’t know if there are a list of core moves to be learned for Indian clubs so I’m still looking for what’s next.

I really love this form as I seem to gravitate towards the iron

I did KB but never enjoined flinching when I was doing my upright press is it? I’ve forgotten the name. And I still like regular DB as they never go out of style for keeping weight bearing exercise.

My goal is flexibility in motion. Not fast, no jumping, no curtsy lunges, and anything else that looks like a club dance. Lol. Or the electric slide.

~~~Cheryl

Old 08-16-21, 05:41 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:

My goal is flexibility in motion. Not fast, no jumping, no curtsy lunges, and anything else that looks like a club dance. Lol. Or the electric slide.
I'm not aiming for anything fancy either, just consistency over time.

I like both aspects of this work, using the lighter clubs to enhance range of motion in my shoulders (and whatever else they do) and the heavier ones to work on grip strength and overall endurance. Mark Wildman's advice for the overweight or deconditioned has really helped me feel as though this is a problem I can solve. Start easy, be consistent and patient.

I've been more consistent with this than anything else in recent years, so I guess that's a good sign.

One reason I got started is that my shoulders would sometimes bother me in the morning, and I'm assuming that's something to do with the fact that I'm a side sleeper. Being really deconditioned wasn't helping though. Haven't had that trouble in a while, so I guess I'm on the right track.
Old 08-16-21, 05:49 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Good and glad to hear this. From someone not trying to sell a bag of worms.

There is a free class 5 days being offered on you tube if you’d be interested. It’s for the Indian clubs, not the Heavy ones.

I’m also in an Indian club group on Facebook.

Since I’m new, I’m really hoping this is my grace program.

Do you have a list or something of websites you frequent for information on their use? Or are you all set now and what you’re doing is enough?

I can’t remember if you said you use them every day or what.

~~~Cheryl

Old 08-17-21, 07:25 AM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
I'm not aiming for anything fancy either, just consistency over time.

I like both aspects of this work, using the lighter clubs to enhance range of motion in my shoulders (and whatever else they do) and the heavier ones to work on grip strength and overall endurance. Mark Wildman's advice for the overweight or deconditioned has really helped me feel as though this is a problem I can solve. Start easy, be consistent and patient.

I've been more consistent with this than anything else in recent years, so I guess that's a good sign.

One reason I got started is that my shoulders would sometimes bother me in the morning, and I'm assuming that's something to do with the fact that I'm a side sleeper. Being really deconditioned wasn't helping though. Haven't had that trouble in a while, so I guess I'm on the right track.
I think he addresses that issue very well. No one else I've seen mentions people who do have extra weight. or breasts for that matter. swinging over 2 mounds puts your arms in a different position and the move may not come out correctly.

Every exercise program should show a heavier person doing whatever in moderation for their body type.

~~~Cheryl

Old 08-17-21, 09:11 AM  
BunnyHop

Quote:

Do you have a list or something of websites you frequent for information on their use? Or are you all set now and what you’re doing is enough?

I can’t remember if you said you use them every day or what.
I do use them every day, for at least a little while. That's my version of slow and easy to begin.

I put some links to the few videos I've followed for reference in a post up above, but for my own purposes I've mostly just made notes of them on some index cards for quick reference. I don't think Mark Wildman does workout videos to be followed. The ones of his I've seen are quick tutorials and quick lessons on various topics. Form pointers and advice on how to structure a routine that works for you at whatever level you are. His thinking is to start easy and build up just a little every day to lessen the chance of overloading the body and making yourself too sore to work out.

My baby steps version involves doing swings of various types with my light clubs (see the link to Dr. Ben Kim's video up above, and whichever other sources you have for a how-to on doing the moves.) Maybe ten swings with each of about 8 moves? Not a huge amount, but I've been really consistent. Sometimes I do it twice a day. Easy no-trauma way to get in the habit. After that I would do some of the other more basic moves in Wildman's tutorials. Shield casting and inside and outside one arm moves?

After that, at first I just did some kettlebell swings. Since I've gotten my heavier 2 lb clubs, I've been using a heavier club (even though it's only two pounds) for a one handed heavy club set of exercises similar to what I'd done earlier, then moving on to the kb swings.

That's it.

For other exercise I do a bit of yoga, tai chi, qi gong or Classical Stretch. I'm trying to work my way up to a more strenuous routine, but since I'm recovering from some sinus stuff (mercifully not covid) I'm taking it day by day and not really forcing the issue.

Doing the swings with light clubs once or twice a day has given me some benefit just in these past few months, which is encouraging. For a long time I wasn't sure it was doing much, except right at first when I was muscle sore the day after. Now I can see the results a bit more clearly in my body.

My primary goal is to get up in the morning and do something gentle that will help me just get my body moving in as gentle and mindful a way as I can manage. Mountain pose by the bedside for a few breaths, then Lee Holden's qi gong 30 day challenge (7 minutes each day) has gotten me going just lately. If I'm up early I go ahead and do my club swinging and KB swings, otherwise I wait til after my morning online meeting and just do it as I can. Followed by some Classical Stretch at some point in the day or yoga (standing, seated, lying down, forward folds, a bit of a twist, and some other such simple moves). It's simple and straightforward, and the first bit of light club swinging seems to be a good warmup in itself.

Sometimes I do the CS/yoga bit late in the evening, just to get in some extra movement that day.

So far, so good.

I guess my only goal for now is to create a block of time during the day that I devote to moving my body, however simply and slowly. Seems to be helping.

Sorry to ramble,

Tags
indian clubs, mace, steel mace