Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-13-19, 04:55 PM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libby View Post
I'm 60 and having a hard time finding clothing that is well made. No luck at Penney's, Kohl's or my local mall. I don't like to dress like a granny but not trying to look like a teenager either. Just like to look stylish/classic. The clothes I've bought at Penney's, Kohl's and TJMaxx don't last more than one season before they start getting holes and pills on the material. I am willing to pay more for quality, longer lasting stylish clothes. Is there a store online or another store that you can recommend? I don't know if I would have luck without trying on the clothes though. Thanks for any suggestions!
I'm 62. I'm fond of J. Jill and Soft Surroundings. I buy most of my pants from either QVC or HSN.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-19, 04:57 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libby View Post
I'm 60 and having a hard time finding clothing that is well made. No luck at Penney's, Kohl's or my local mall. I don't like to dress like a granny but not trying to look like a teenager either. Just like to look stylish/classic. The clothes I've bought at Penney's, Kohl's and TJMaxx don't last more than one season before they start getting holes and pills on the material. I am willing to pay more for quality, longer lasting stylish clothes. Is there a store online or another store that you can recommend? I don't know if I would have luck without trying on the clothes though. Thanks for any suggestions!
I've had the same trouble in recent years, and have had more luck with Talbots and Chicos. They aren't perfect.

Talbots for example: Went in the outlet mall shop the other day and didn't see a single thing I thought I could/would wear. Was it fundamentally awful? No, just not in a style or in colors I ever wear.
Lately I've been far more selective about the colors I choose.
Last winter I got a pair of suede pants that are just about the most comfortable thing I've worn in years. Technically they're leggings, I think. They weren't cheap, but I liked them so much I didn't wait for the price to come down before I bought.

Chicos? Years ago I loved their stuff, but they seem to be going through some sort of transition. Nowadays I have to look pretty closely to find something I think would be good enough quality. Does only having an outlet shop as a nearby option color my opinions? I'm not sure. Their prices have gone up, and I do think the quality has dropped.

If I had an April Cornell nearby I'd definitely keep them in mind. They've changed a bit, and don't seem to be quite as interesting as they used to be, but I am definitely glad I saved my old stuff.
Old 09-13-19, 05:18 PM  
PennyK

PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-19, 05:23 PM  
Carol K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negin View Post
I'm probably the only one who feels this way, but I've been thinking this for the longest while. I know that it's probably not possible or practical. You see, I get overwhelmed with this thread every year, even though I am very interested in all things beauty.

I wish that we had sub-threads or different categories, if you know what I mean. For example: hair; skin (different categories in each - aging, acne, hyperpigmentation, etc.); body; you name it.

Am I the only one who feels this way? I would love to read and take part in it, it's just too long and overwhelming for me. I feel as if I'm rummaging for clothes in an extremely crowded sales rack. I often come to see if I can learn or find out about anything new or to share what I have found works, and then I just can't (can't even!) and have to move on.
I don't particularly care for this format either. I only look at this thread when someone posts something new and I would never go back and try to find something.
Old 09-13-19, 05:51 PM  
Gams

I buy my clothing almost exclusively online from Quacker Factory. The clothing is well made and once you learn your size in a particular line, it’s pretty consistent (they always have garment measurements, though, so you can double check). I have a lot of Isaac Mizrahi, Susan Graver, Quacker Factory and Lori Goldstein. And I’m ashamed to admit it, but I have WAAAAY too many Dennis Basso coats. I always check the Lunchtime and Primetime specials and their shipping for clothing is only $3.50.

I agree that the length of this thread is a little overwhelming and hard to know if something’s been discussed already.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-19, 07:15 PM  
Trixoo
VF Supporter

I shop a lot of different places, but when I thought about your question, I realized I mostly shop at Talbots and White House Black Market, because the clothes are reasonably stylish and are a good price point for quality...they really tend to last (but like all stores,there have been some notable disappointments). I find WHBM’s clothes, in particular, to be well cut. Both of these stores have great sales, but you might not get what you want...

I found some items I like in the most recent Boden catalog...has anybody ordered there? If so, what were your likes/dislikes? Is the quality worth the cost?
Trixoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-19, 02:48 AM  
Negin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol K View Post
I don't particularly care for this format either. I only look at this thread when someone posts something new and I would never go back and try to find something.
Carol, glad to know that it's not just me. I'm all for organization and structure. Too many pages and too many posts jumbled into in one thread. Beauty is far too broad of a category to have in one thread, in my humble opinion, of course.
Old 09-14-19, 06:34 AM  
sherry7899

I agree that it is hard to find older posts in this thread, but this is an off topic thread. If this were a message board dedicated to beauty, then I can see the need for sub forums/threads. I don't know about taking up space with sub threads or additional threads since this is not a beauty focused forum. Then again, I know zilch about setting up a forum.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-19, 06:47 AM  
Negin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I agree that it is hard to find older posts in this thread, but this is an off topic thread. If this were a message board dedicated to beauty, then I can see the need for sub forums/threads. I don't know about taking up space with sub thread or additional threads since this is not a beauty focused forum. Then again, I know zilch about setting up a forum.
I set up small forum several years ago, but that doesn't mean that I necessarily know what I'm talking about. These forums have far more traffic and activity. I could be wrong, but I don't think a sub-forum/threads would take up much space. Just wishful thinking on my part. I have often wanted to participate in the beauty thread, in fact I want to participate every year, but I start to get dizzy. It's too crowded.
Old 09-14-19, 08:08 AM  
Carol K

I come here specifically to look for threads about the FIRM and BeMax and I was happy with the occasional beauty topic thread marked OT. If it was about Paula's Choice, my favorite skin care, I would open and read right away, knowing that it would soon be merged with the annual beauty thread. I realize I'm not the typical VF user and I don't read very many threads.

Tags
beauty, beauty thread, beauty thread 2019, clothes, clothing, hair, makeup, skin