Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-08-18, 07:16 PM  
sherry7899

floor mats for cardio

My cardio is almost all dance workouts with some kickboxing and walking workouts occasionally.

I currently have thick carpeting in my workout area. I have tried wearing "Zumba socks" over my cross trainers, but my feet still get kind of "stuck " in the rug.

I was debating buying one of these floor mats, and I was wondering if anyone has tried any of them. If you have, do they stay in place on carpeting, and do they work for dance workouts...or any cardio, really.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077M8JRW5...&pd_rd_w=BVXy1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G61ZB0K...&pd_rd_w=iCYCZ

https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Large...PP3T6F0Z4P4FKY

I am not sure what size I need. I'm going to measure first. I currently exercise in our family room and can only use our finished basement if I wake up before my DH starts work from home there. I am considering using a small spare upstairs bedroom so I can leave the mats out all the time I can't leave them out in the family room because of our cats. I am going to test doing cardio in the upstairs bedroom to make sure I have enough space first.

Thank you,
Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-18, 07:36 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Sherry I'm no expert but don't know if these mats would be considered too "grippy" for dance movements.

Another option, though more expensive is a specific dance floor, maybe something like this that you tape down: https://www.amazon.com/Matlay-Dance-...oor&th=1&psc=1
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-18, 07:55 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

Sherry, I started this thread a while back about this company's flooring: http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=221448

I just moved to an apartment with faux wood flooring, so I passed what I had purchased along to a neighbor, but I loved it while I had it. It was super simple to put together, and it was very easy to take apart when I needed to move it as well.
Old 08-08-18, 08:43 PM  
sherry7899

Thank you both. One of the mats I linked said it works for Zumba.

The dance flooring looks great, but I do not think it will work for the space I have. I will look at it more closely, though. Thank you.

Old 08-08-18, 09:51 PM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

I LOVE my dance socks. I use them for any twisty movements on carpet, including kickboxing. I use the ones for carpeted floors: https://www.thedancesocks.com/ I also have the bands for the rare occasion I take a zumba class that is on a gym floor. They have such a heavy coating on the floor that these help me twist without killing my knees.

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-18, 10:01 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbee View Post
I LOVE my dance socks. I use them for any twisty movements on carpet, including kickboxing. I use the ones for carpeted floors: https://www.thedancesocks.com/ I also have the bands for the rare occasion I take a zumba class that is on a gym floor. They have such a heavy coating on the floor that these help me twist without killing my knees.

I have those already I guess our carpeting is just extra dense. I wish they worked better. It is a much simpler and cheaper solution.

Old 08-12-18, 10:34 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I have the second mat, the Square36. My husband got it for me for Christmas a few years ago--my basement workout room has Berber-type carpet, and he was afraid my activities would ruin it.

I really like the mat--it has held up great! I use it for everything, cardio, strength, yoga, and more. But I would note that I generally don't do a lot of cardio, and if I do anything more dance-y, I am always a bit extra careful on the mat, as it is rather grippy and I don't want to twist an ankle or anything like that.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-18, 10:40 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Actually, I guess my specific mat is this one--it's specifically for use with or without shoes (I do both):
https://www.amazon.com/Square36-Extr...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-18, 03:08 AM  
little bird

Hi Sherry,
I have the children's mat (interlocking puzzle mats in my favorite color (purple). I taped them together on the bottom with packaging tape. I had to put a rug mat under it because it would move during cardio. I said all of that to say that you might need to add a rug mat. The rug mat also adds additional cushioning.
Old 08-13-18, 01:05 PM  
sherry7899

Thanks, Beth and Laverne!

Laverne, I had puzzle mats before and they always just slid all over the place. I wish I could get them to stay in place. It would be a much cheaper solution. I'm glad they work out for you.

Beth, wow, you have a nice sized one! I wish I had space for one that big. I'm trying to figure out where I want to use it between our family room and an upstairs small spare bedroom. I'm afraid if I use it in the family room (roll up after every use) my cats will run over it while I'm exercising. The room is totally open, so there is no way to keep them out. I may have to settle for the smaller upstairs space. Or, if I get up early enough, use it in our finished basement. That is the ideal space. We have berber carpeting there, so I'm glad to hear it stays in place on top of that. I was leaning towards the same brand you have.

I checked my Amazon reward points which posted today and have a nice amount to use towards one. I think I would need a four foot by six foot one.

Tags
floor mats, flooring, workout rooms