Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-02-17, 02:05 AM  
lingo10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBoop View Post
I am reviving this thread because I would like to know if anyone has taken Soul Cycle, and if anyone knows of similar workouts on video.
Peloton (they offer live rides, @ home studio)
Cyclecast (if their app is still free)
Studio Sweat
&
Of Course Youtube! They have quite a few free rides available from Studio Sweat and Global Cycling Network!

Hope this helps.

FT25 Alpha, Beta, Gamma Grad 4/14
Insanity Grad 8/14
Insanity Max 30 Grad 3/15, 2x Grad 11/15
Current Programs/Workouts: Caroline Girvan's Iron Series & Other Mixed Workouts.
lingo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-17, 12:18 PM  
Hazel Porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingo10 View Post
Soul-Cycle is a class that goes off beat and vibe from instructor's motivation and the playlist they have going on. In and Out of saddle and use weights for arm action dedicated in some sections. They don't worry on torque or leaderboard. You just push and do your best.

Different from flywheel, where its more stadium competitive with getting onto leaderboard (Top 10 Men, Top 10 Women, Top 10 Overall), fight back that beat playlist going on, having a dedicated arm section towards end of class that uses 2-4lb body bar minis (not the dumbbells) and having to dial up or down the torque resistance.

Both have a following. Some reg group cycling classes I have taken, dependent on what they do, dont include weights on the bike (that is to the places that I have been, gym classes or standalone spinning centers, could be different for some places). Playlists differ, the set up of the studio can differ, sometimes you can spend more time out of saddle, more core engagement, changes in climbs or sprints, heart rate can be kept about 75% in indoor cycling classes like Soul or Fly, can sometimes see pushups on handlebars, or dealing with things like torque.

Thanks for the detail -- these both sound great! Although similar in intent to other spin/cycle classes I've taken (minus the weights), e.g., Les Mills's RPM, Group Rx's Revolution, Schwinn Cycling.

Overall (and this goes back to the OP) if what you're trying to replicate is the energy of a live class, I personally find that very hard to do at home. There's something about being in the room surrounded by other people sweating and working hard, with the lights dimmed and the music vibrating through the floor and your bike, that just can't be matched pedaling alone to a DVD or streaming workout in your basement or rec room. Some things are just meant to be experienced first hand, I guess.
Old 11-02-17, 11:34 PM  
lingo10

Def true, live class has this energy, competitive spirit, etc. that is kinda hard to replicate!

FT25 Alpha, Beta, Gamma Grad 4/14
Insanity Grad 8/14
Insanity Max 30 Grad 3/15, 2x Grad 11/15
Current Programs/Workouts: Caroline Girvan's Iron Series & Other Mixed Workouts.
lingo10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spinning