Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-15, 04:23 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Any home spin workouts like Soul Cycle?

I am curious about the Soul Cycle workout. I read that it is a total body workout and that they use 1 pound weights. I also read that the weights are used while pedaling in a standing position. I'm not sure how that would work, but I am willing to give it a try. There is a local Soul Cycle but I would rather stick to spinning at home (I read that the music is so loud that they give people earplugs at the front desk , and that the bikes are crammed together with no space in between ). I guess I have become spoiled working out at home, and like the music at the volume I choose, and would rather not smell other people's sweat .

I was wondering if there are any streaming workouts or DVDs that are by Soul Cycle or similar to that type of spinning. I have Cathe's spinning DVDs (which I like a lot) and Johnny G's (some of which I like, including Spin & Slim).
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-15, 08:21 AM  
fitjen

I hope you get a response to this - I've wondered the same question. I live in a rural area, so there are no classes near me. I'd like to try it out!
Old 10-19-17, 10:51 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

I am reviving this thread because I would like to know if anyone has taken Soul Cycle, and if anyone knows of similar workouts on video.
Old 10-24-17, 05:42 PM  
Hazel Porter

I have no idea what Soul Cycle is like -- is there something specific about it that you're hoping to replicate?

I know a lot of people really like Studio Sweat on Demand. Peloton also has streaming workouts that look good, at least from the commercials.

If you don't require video but want awesome, slammin' music, try Aaptiv. They have not only spinning, but running (treadmill and outdoor), elliptical, stair climber, strength, yoga, meditation, 5K, 10K, half marathon and full marathon training programs -- all set to great (real) music. I'm an Ambassador and can get you a code if you'd like to try.
Old 10-24-17, 06:12 PM  
rhbrand

I really need to get back into spinning. I did it a few years ago, and lost about 5lbs. Then I quit, and now my butt is scared of my bike.

I need to get back to it.
Old 10-31-17, 07:55 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Porter View Post
I have no idea what Soul Cycle is like -- is there something specific about it that you're hoping to replicate?

I know a lot of people really like Studio Sweat on Demand. Peloton also has streaming workouts that look good, at least from the commercials.

If you don't require video but want awesome, slammin' music, try Aaptiv. They have not only spinning, but running (treadmill and outdoor), elliptical, stair climber, strength, yoga, meditation, 5K, 10K, half marathon and full marathon training programs -- all set to great (real) music. I'm an Ambassador and can get you a code if you'd like to try.
Hi Hazel! Thanks for the info!
Old 10-31-17, 10:45 AM  
meg39

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBoop View Post
I am reviving this thread because I would like to know if anyone has taken Soul Cycle, and if anyone knows of similar workouts on video.
I've never taken a class, but my son's gf takes it and LOVES it! She has had Michelle Obama in a class, and Hoda from the Today show.

I'd love to try a class someday but I know it's pretty pricey.
meg39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-17, 11:19 AM  
Hazel Porter

So what is it, exactly? How is it different from any other group cycling classes out there?
Old 11-02-17, 01:48 AM  
lingo10

Ive done Soul-Cycle, Ryde, and Flywheel. (I am more in love with Flywheel though, but Soul-Cycle cant be discredited, what an energy and experience tbh)

FT25 Alpha, Beta, Gamma Grad 4/14
Insanity Grad 8/14
Insanity Max 30 Grad 3/15, 2x Grad 11/15
Current Programs/Workouts: Caroline Girvan's Iron Series & Other Mixed Workouts.
lingo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-17, 01:52 AM  
lingo10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Porter View Post
So what is it, exactly? How is it different from any other group cycling classes out there?
Soul-Cycle is a class that goes off beat and vibe from instructor's motivation and the playlist they have going on. In and Out of saddle and use weights for arm action dedicated in some sections. They don't worry on torque or leaderboard. You just push and do your best.

Different from flywheel, where its more stadium competitive with getting onto leaderboard (Top 10 Men, Top 10 Women, Top 10 Overall), fight back that beat playlist going on, having a dedicated arm section towards end of class that uses 2-4lb body bar minis (not the dumbbells) and having to dial up or down the torque resistance.

Both have a following. Some reg group cycling classes I have taken, dependent on what they do, dont include weights on the bike (that is to the places that I have been, gym classes or standalone spinning centers, could be different for some places). Playlists differ, the set up of the studio can differ, sometimes you can spend more time out of saddle, more core engagement, changes in climbs or sprints, heart rate can be kept about 75% in indoor cycling classes like Soul or Fly, can sometimes see pushups on handlebars, or dealing with things like torque.

FT25 Alpha, Beta, Gamma Grad 4/14
Insanity Grad 8/14
Insanity Max 30 Grad 3/15, 2x Grad 11/15
Current Programs/Workouts: Caroline Girvan's Iron Series & Other Mixed Workouts.
lingo10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spinning