Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-13, 11:24 PM  
Lorelai

Give Bubble and Bee a shot. They are very good about working with you to find something to meet your needs, and they have a lot of different options. The Geranium Lime smells wonderful. Make sure what you order has baking soda, that's what really helps with odor.

http://www.bubbleandbee.com/servlet/...nts/Categories

Unfortunately, I've never had luck with homemade deodorant. It works really well, but makes both of our armpits turn red and itch like crazy. Not good! I think maybe it's the form the baking soda is in? Anyway, it's irritating in my own blends, but for some reason okay in ones I buy. Go figure. Right now I'm using the bad stuff, because I have been so tight on money and not ordering much online.

"Practice makes progress." Jessica Smith

"There's always an option before we quit." Jessica Smith

"You don't have to be a ballerina to feel like one." Ellen Barrett
Lorelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-13, 04:07 AM  
yahoo205

i've been using arm & hammer essentials natural deodorant

but i just realized it contains triclosan, but i don't know how bad that is. anyone know if triclosan is so bad?

it doesn't contain aluminum or parabens.

Dipropylene Glycol, Water, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Bicarbonate (Baking Soda) (Baking Soda), Coriandrum Sativum (Coriander) Seed Oil, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Essential Oil, Lavandula Hybrida (Lavender) Oil, Fragrance, Triclosan, Tetrasodium EDTA, Allantoin (Comfrey Root)

also, used to use this and it was pretty good:

Alvera, Aloe & Almonds, Roll-On Deodorant

75% Aloe vera gel, herb water (containing arnica, calendula, gentian root and coriander), alcloxa (contains allantoin), glyceryl stearate, gum Arabic, whole oat protein, witchhazel, grapefruit seed extract, comfrey, TEA, fragrance.
Guaranteed to contain NO animal ingredients, alcohol, dyes, artificial preservatives or bactericides.

have tried the Lavanila the healthy deodorant and crystal deodorant before and neither worked as well for me.
yahoo205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-13, 05:56 AM  
starbelly

Triclosan is an anti-bacterial agent. I don't use anti-bacterial hand wash because of the rise of antibiotic-resistant bacteria (wash longer for the same/better effect). You can read more about triclosan here http://www.foodandwaterwatch.org/fac...-in-your-soap/

The Arm & Hammer one also has propylene glycol. Many people avoid that ingredient because it makes your body more receptive to all kinds of chemicals. You can read the Environmental Working Group report on that product http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/product/...%2C_Unscented/

I like the Alvera product, but I recently found out that it has some aluminum in it (alcloxa) which is restricted in Japan. http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ingredient/700214/ALCLOXA/

It's not easy to find a truly natural product. Baking soda is not widely available in the Netherlands. I found some at a drugstore-- a tiny packet was 4 euros!

ETA: Propylene glycol is the main ingredient in anti-freeze!

Last edited by starbelly; 01-24-13 at 05:57 AM. Reason: ETA
starbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-13, 06:10 AM  
Cowgirl32

I use Tom's natural deodorant. It works, and I sweat...like "making it rain" sweat.
Old 01-24-13, 08:16 AM  
Jane1721

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelai View Post
Unfortunately, I've never had luck with homemade deodorant. It works really well, but makes both of our armpits turn red and itch like crazy. Not good! I think maybe it's the form the baking soda is in?
Yes, it's probably the baking soda. Some people add more cornstarch to help minimize/avoid irritation from baking soda - many "recipes" I have seen online call for a ratio of up to six parts cornstarch to one part baking soda.
Jane1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-13, 08:59 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahoo205 View Post

but i just realized it contains triclosan, but i don't know how bad that is. anyone know if triclosan is so bad?
Our local news station just reported that triclosan has been found in our local MN lakes and rivers. Apparently it is affecting the algae. The news station also encouraged people to wash with regular soap and water, longer.

I've been trying to avoid aluminum and parabens since I'm so hyper sensitive to chemicals.

Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-13, 09:04 AM  
CarlaVeg

wow thank you ladies, so many options.... I will try some of these....

I am also intrigued about the baking soda concoction... I may give this a try as well. Do you mix it everytime you use it or make it ahead and store it?

Carla
CarlaVeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-13, 09:35 AM  
CarlaVeg

wow about triclosan

10 toxic hotspots in the home
Bathroom: Toothpaste
Having a favorite toothpaste may help ensure good dental hygiene. But the anti-bacterial and toxic ingredient triclosan, found in many dentifrices, may harm the rest of your body.

“The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has noted that triclosan has been found in everyone they’ve done toxicity testing on,” says Crinnion, the author of Clean, Green & Lean: Get Rid of the Toxins that Make You Fat. “Think of triclosan as a chlorinated pesticide, which means that it causes allergies and imbalances the immune system, just like other chlorinated pesticides.” In children the substance has been associated with high rates of hay fever. Because, says Crinnion, the substance has become part of our toxic burden, he advises against buying toothpaste and other products containing this ingredient.

http://healthyliving.msn.com/health-...-in-the-home#3

Carla
CarlaVeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-13, 09:52 AM  
Jane1721

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlaVeg View Post
wow thank you ladies, so many options.... I will try some of these....

I am also intrigued about the baking soda concoction... I may give this a try as well. Do you mix it everytime you use it or make it ahead and store it?
Hi Carla, I mix the baking soda and cornstarch and keep it in a little cosmetic jar. In my experience, it will keep for about a year. When you start to notice that you smell a little in the evenings after putting in on in the morning, then you need to replace what you've got with fresh products.
Jane1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-13, 10:33 AM  
willwolf

I really like the Lavanila deodorant. It is not an antiperspirant, just deodorant. As a matter of fact, I just ordered another from skinstore.com, as Sephora seems to be out of the passion fruit, which I love.
willwolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deodorants, natural deodorants