Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-07-17, 12:35 AM  
iwant2bfit

spin bike

OK I'll bite!

I tried the peloton app. I'm not currently using it as I'm waiting for my bike. I almost bought the peloton bike. In fact, I even opened a credit card with 0% interest for 21 months to make the payments more affordable and within my budget.

Instead, I bought a bike from studio-cycles.com I bought a Schwinn AC sport with carbon blue belt. It has the magnetic resistance like the peloton but unlike the peloton, the belt will never stretch out. (according to studio cycles)

There are several reasons why I did not buy the peloton bike. These are my observations so take it with a grain of salt as I really wanted the peloton bike in a bad way.

CON I had a hard time paying for a years' worth of classes. Not able to be on the leaderboard with the Schwinn bike. I am self motivated so that is not a deal breaker but would have been fun nonetheless.
PRO I can get 3 months of the app for 1 month subscription on the bike. I stream it to my TV.

CON
You have to pay $250 delivery and set up fee.
Some recent reviews on peloton Facebook page state that customers waited for weeks. Only to find that they wanted to drop the bike off on their driveway. When they insisted that they were supposed to set up, delivery personnel stated that they didn't have the tools and had other deliveries to make.

Pro Studio-cycles is building my bike. I know it's going to take 5-6 weeks. It's been 4 weeks now so I'm getting more anxious. They're installing additional options I purchased. The bike will be optimized and sent on a mini pallet for Free. I also have free lifetime parts warranty.

CON The peloton bike handle bars only go up and down. My current no name spin bike does the same thing. I find I have a lot of pressure on my back. (I've had 3 back surgeries).In order to relieve it, I find myself moving the seat farther forward than I should causing my knees to go well beyond my toes. My knees then swell due to grinding of cartilage.
PRO the studio-cycles AC sport bike handle bars do come in & out for more personalization.

There are some YouTube videos comparing the Schwinn pro plus with carbon blue vs the peloton. I bought the AC sport since it was a little bit cheaper. I did purchase the advanced computer to get the cadence etc. so I can follow along.

I hope this helps anyone thinking about the peloton bike. I am certainly not against the bike, I just found a better option for me and wanted to pass it along.
iwant2bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-17, 04:21 PM  
Dorothy J
VF Supporter

iwant2bfit, thanks so much for posting your reasons for not buying the Peloton bike. This will be very helpful for anyone considering a new spin bike.

"You want to go into life feeling great, feeling strong, and as you get older, feeling even stronger!" Gin Miller
Dorothy J is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cycle, peloton, spinning