Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-23, 01:58 PM  
katmom

STS 2.0 versus Original STS

I never ordered Original STS but after doing STS 2.0, I wondered if I had missed out by not having Original STS in my collection. I did love STS 2.0 and will likely start another rotation soon.

For those who have done Cathe’s Original STS and STS 2.0, did you think one is better than the other?
Old 09-18-23, 02:35 PM  
bubbles76

I like STS 1 better than STS 2, but still like them both. STS 1 has longer breaks between sets, which I need, and just has a zen like feel. I didn't really care as much for phase 1 because I thought it too fast (and couldn't do all the pushups, ha!) but it got better along the way. It's been some years since I've done STS 1 though, so I may have to try again to see if it's still a lovefest.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-23, 08:25 AM  
owltx

I also like STS better than STS 2.0 - but also still like STS 2.0. I really like the rotation of STS much better - it is really one of the only rotations I have been able to stick to (for multiple times), and is a solid three month strength builder with real results. You can also just pull out a month - endurance, hypertrophy, strength - depending on your goals. The music in STS drives the work (in a good way), and I personally prefer splits.

That is one really big difference between the two - STS is all splits. STS 2.0 has total body, splits and single body parts. So if you are not a splits person, STS 2.0 is going to be better for you. I love the flexibility/mobility focus in STS 2.0 - in STS you only get the one fifteen minute stretch - much more variety on that in STS 2.0.

One thing I wish they both had was more stretching at the end. Or just add a couple 5-7 minute stretches. I don't have time for another 15 minutes after the longer workouts, but could make time for a 5 minute stretch.
Old 09-19-23, 09:26 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by owltx View Post
I also like STS better than STS 2.0 - but also still like STS 2.0. I really like the rotation of STS much better - it is really one of the only rotations I have been able to stick to (for multiple times), and is a solid three month strength builder with real results. You can also just pull out a month - endurance, hypertrophy, strength - depending on your goals. The music in STS drives the work (in a good way), and I personally prefer splits.

That is one really big difference between the two - STS is all splits. STS 2.0 has total body, splits and single body parts. So if you are not a splits person, STS 2.0 is going to be better for you. I love the flexibility/mobility focus in STS 2.0 - in STS you only get the one fifteen minute stretch - much more variety on that in STS 2.0.

One thing I wish they both had was more stretching at the end. Or just add a couple 5-7 minute stretches. I don't have time for another 15 minutes after the longer workouts, but could make time for a 5 minute stretch.
Perfect comparison! I think it all depends on your preferences/goals on what to choose.

I like the pace of the entire STS 2.0 set better. It lets you go heavier in weights but there’s enough time to recover between sets. I like the total body, upper/lower body, and parts progression too.

STS Meso 1 is very fast paced and more endurance based. STS Meso 2 is slower but the leg workouts made my heart rate soar! STS Meso 3 has more specific rest periods (upper splits and squat rack legs) and the plyo/weight leg workouts are great!

But both sets are awesome!
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-23, 10:25 AM  
laurajhawk

For me, a big advantage of STS 2.0 is premixes. They’re pretty well done and you can do a whole rotation of 30-40 minute workouts with the 2.0 set.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-23, 12:09 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I was able to borrow STS 1 Meso 3 because I wanted to gain strength after illness recovery. I can't say I liked it. I didn't have all that equipment or heavy plates so I really could not do it properly.

I was going to buy Mesos 1 & 2, but then she announced the new set. I am used to split routines, so total body was new to me. However so far I like them.
The premixes are great.

If you get the STS 1 DVDs, you will get a lot of them.
Old 09-19-23, 12:25 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

It’s hard for me to compare the two, as they are very, very different, IMHO. Stephanie did a great job of it!

STS was very comprehensive and yes, equipment intensive. I don’t have all the step risers or a weight bench so I had to improvise, but I also did for STS 2.0. I like both series, but I am enjoying doing the premixes for STS 2.0. As was mentioned previously, no premixes in the original STS.

STS 2.0 was kind of like “STS Lite” IMO using lighter weights---Cathe’s new barbell set doesn’t go up as high as some were using on OG STS. I think STS 2.0 can be more easily adapted for different levels of intensity.

Full disclosure: I didn’t do a full rotation of STS 2.0 as I’m not really fond of Cathe’s yoga or mobility and the foam roller one was so beginner (for me) that it wasn’t useful to me. I also will admit that STS had a bit of a dread factor after I was in the middle of the rotation, since, well, I really went all in and it was tough and draining! I did have a sense of satisfaction at completing the STS rotation, and I have done it twice—the second time 10 years after the first time!

Maybe subscribe to Cathe On Demand and start an STS rotation and see what you think? It’s definitely a good program, but not for everyone!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-23, 08:09 AM  
Rhonda

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajhawk View Post
For me, a big advantage of STS 2.0 is premixes. They’re pretty well done and you can do a whole rotation of 30-40 minute workouts with the 2.0 set.
This time frame would be perfect for me. I haven't checked but do all the STS 2.0 have 30-40 minute premixes?
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-23, 08:53 AM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajhawk View Post
I forgot STS 2.0 had premixes. So many of Cathe's premixes in recent years have been lackluster so my brain must have turned off at this piece of information. Does the guide have a rotation for short premixes only?
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-23, 09:32 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
I forgot STS 2.0 had premixes. So many of Cathe's premixes in recent years have been lackluster so my brain must have turned off at this piece of information. Does the guide have a rotation for short premixes only?
Here’s a link for the STS 2.0 User Guide:

https://cathe.com/STS2guide/

I don’t see a rotation using premixes only. But you could sub in a premix for any of the workouts if you’re short on time or want to change it up.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathe sts, cathe sts 2.0, sts, sts 2.0, sts 2.0 reviews