Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-21, 07:22 PM  
angie_nrs

Sometimes we don't give ourselves permission to take that time for ourselves without guilt. I'm way over that, but is it possible that it could be holding you back?

As far as procrastination, if I know the day before what workout I'll be doing and have my clothes put out and ready to go, it's more difficult to allow myself to skip or delay it. I try and keep my routine basic when I get home. I get the dogs, take them for a walk, then come in and put my workout clothes on and head downstairs and get to it. The DVD is already in the player, so I don't have to waste brain power on what to do. I try to not do anything else before working out so that I don't get distracted and delay my workout.

I'm not a morning exerciser. I've tried.....but I just hate it. So, working out for me after work or later in the day is where I'm happiest. I also try really hard NOT to eat anything before doing my workout. It seems like grabbing a snack leads to checking messages and clicking on the computer, etc. So....I wait on all of that until AFTER the workout is done.

I also reward myself with freedom on the weekends to not do a structured workout. I'm usually pretty active though, so it's not like I'm holding a chair down all weekend either. If I can get 5 workouts in during the week, I don't sweat it on the weekends, unless I've missed a w/o during the week, which I try not to do.
Old 08-24-21, 07:41 PM  
Vantreesta

Angie, it's possible that guilt is part of it. In general I feel guilty bc I'm not working and my husband is, at a job he doesn't love. So I feel like I need to keep the house perfect, and I feel good when it's done, but I hate cleaning so I put it off. I feel like I shouldn't workout when the house is a mess. I think you might be on to smthg there! I put on my workout clothes as soon as I get up since we'll be walking but even that and knowing the day's workouts ahead of time hasn't been helping much lately.

I really want to get up earlier so I can workout before we walk but I cannot get myself to bed decent. The more determined I am to go to bed before midnight the worse I get, sometimes staying up till 2. I've always been a night owl but it got worse when I was working way too much and would often work till midnight. Long ago I used to go to bed at 10:30 but that almost never happens now. I keep trying to think of a bribe to get myself on a better sleep schedule. So far nothing has been enticing enough to produce change.

This all reminded me my friend gave me the book The 5 Second Rule by Mel Robbins so I just pulled it out. Maybe smthg will really speak to me in it!

Thank you all again for your thoughts and ideas. I'm going to reread everything and do some thinking. Well, maybe less thinking and more doing is what's really needed!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-21, 08:23 PM  
annette
VF Supporter

I'm also retired and find it more difficult to make time to work out than when I was working. It seems the more time I have the less I get done.

For me I think it's that I'm just tired of having a schedule and a structured day. I know I will feel better if I keep up with my workouts and it is a privilege to be able to do so but something inside me is rebelling. It's beginning to feel like something I HAVE to do rather than something I WANT to do. I mean, I do want to but then again I don't. I can't make sense of it.

Good luck figuring it out. Hopefully I will also.
annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-21, 08:42 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by annette View Post
I'm also retired and find it more difficult to make time to work out than when I was working. It seems the more time I have the less I get done.

For me I think it's that I'm just tired of having a schedule and a structured day. I know I will feel better if I keep up with my workouts and it is a privilege to be able to do so but something inside me is rebelling. It's beginning to feel like something I HAVE to do rather than something I WANT to do. I mean, I do want to but then again I don't. I can't make sense of it.

Good luck figuring it out. Hopefully I will also.
Yes!!! Why am I rebelling against things I really do want to do like working out and getting more sleep?!? It really doesn't make sense. I'm glad I'm not the only one, although I hope we can both figure it out!

I always say I'm like that Green Day song: a walking contradiction. I crave structure and routine but I want to be free and flexible and buck the system!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 08-24-21, 08:44 PM  
Helen

Totally agree!
Having an online buddy (FaceTime) has been fabulous!
Currently doing online work (teacher) so more to do at the computer, and throughout the whole day. Hard to get away - making ME a higher priority is hard.

As to the dog thing - mine hears the music start and comes running to the gym! She plays tug with me whilst I do a workout - bought her a long knotted rope especially to do it. She's puffing by the end as well!
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-21, 09:02 PM  
Vantreesta

Helen, you must have better balance than I do or Alice doesn't pull as hard as Cyric! I'd fall over or trip playing tug while trying to workout!

A friend had asked me to do a kettlebell rotation with her this past spring. After some false starts by both of us, I did well completing the first month of three. Then she decided to take advantage of the weather and walk and swim exclusively for her workouts till school starts. After that I just floundered. It also helped in May when I was doing the Murph training schedule in the CVG app. But I don't know why those things were different from when you and I tried to do Perfect 30/XTrain together.

Old 08-24-21, 09:57 PM  
Leonana

I can relate to the guilt of not working. Although I don’t have a problem getting in the workouts or cleaning, it’s cooking. I absolutely hate to cook! I know my husband would rather I cook more and clean less!

One thing that keeps me motivated to working out is my mental health. I know I have to stick with it or my anxiety gets worse.

Oth, I have not worked out for the past week because of a bad cold. Even though I feel bad with the cold, I kind of enjoyed it. With the exception of feeding my cats and cleaning their litter boxes, I did nothing but lay on the couch and binge watch a series. It was like taking a vacation! Except for the cats, they don’t let me have time off lol.

I realized that we don’t think we need down time because we don’t work outside the home. I mean, why get stressed about yard work, cooking and cleaning if we can make our own schedule. However, this past week I realized my “job” does stress me out at times. Especially when I put pressure on myself to get it done. Maybe you just need a week of down time. No workouts and minimum house work. Take a mental health break. Yes, not working is a privilege, but it doesn’t mean it’s not stressful at times.

I have to admit, I’m feeling a lot more peaceful and less stressed after my week off. I’m actually glad I had the cold. Now I just need to take an extra day off now and then.
Old 08-24-21, 10:31 PM  
Vantreesta

Sherry, you are so right. My husband's job is terribly stressful for him so I have this idea that since I don't have a job I should never feel stressed out, or if I do I shouldn't say or show it. I don't know that the housework itself stresses me out but worrying about him does! And the guilt. That is stressful to me.

I'm training for a tough trail race so I really don't want to take a week off, but my dad will be here next week so I won't be doing housework other than cooking (which fortunately I love!) and dishes, and I won't be trying to do a bunch of extra workouts, just what the run training calls for (and the extras required to run without injury).

I hope you're feeling better! I do understand enjoying laying around now and then. A couple years ago my SI joints were really bad for a few days and I thoroughly enjoyed watching the Food Network!

Old 08-25-21, 01:14 AM  
Helen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
Helen, you must have better balance than I do or Alice doesn't pull as hard as Cyric! I'd fall over or trip playing tug while trying to workout!
She weighs a bit under 60lb. We're used to it. She hates weights day - my hands are full! Lays down & sulks.
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-21, 06:51 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
Maybe the night before write things down you want to do the next day on a pad on the counter. Sometimes on Sunday’s, my one day off, I will write times like 6-7 walk, 8-9 church, 10-12 weeds etc. The other days I have to work so I have to get it all done but Sunday is my one day off and there is so much to do I set a time line. Anyway, if you write things down the night before (on paper, not computer or notebook, you have to see it) then cross them off as you do them it’s this feeling of accomplishment at the end of the day. Also doing it the night before you go to bed thinking about it and it’s on your mind first thing. Keep the list realistic. If you put too much then you brain feels overwhelmed.
Yes !! This is the system I started using. I like preparing my "to do" list the day before because then I have all that enthusiasm - it isn't a list of things I have to do "today". Then when I wake, I don't have to think or plan. But the real value is checking off the "done!" - that gives me such a sense of accomplishment. Sometimes I get my list completed so much earlier than expected as one "done!" gives me the mental energy to keep getting things done - the snowball-effect.
-Anita
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motivation, procrastination