Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-21-21, 09:53 AM  
Messe

STS: How old is too old?

Confession: I have the complete STS set, but I’ve never done more than a couple of the workouts at a time. So it’s crossroads time at Chez Messe. Do I post the set on VF Roost, or do I set a goal of doing a full rotation (my way, of course) by my 75th birthday <gulp!> in December 2022?

Among other things, “my way” means that I would not intend to lift as heavy as 99.99% of the people who have done STS. I also might do two weeks, take a recovery week, do two more weeks — you get the picture. But I think doing some sort of rotation would still be valuable if I can come up with a plan that suits me.

What say you, VFers?

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-21, 09:59 AM  
fanofladyvols

I have never done it but I don't own it either.

However, I recently read a Cathe forum thread where someone posted she was doing one week on of STS and the next week something else. So it would take her a little over six months with probably an active recovery week(s) thrown in.

Is that what you are considering?

I could see that being less daunting especially with your plan as far as weight limits.

Cheering you on if you do !! How inspiring!!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-21, 10:01 AM  
bubbles76

I say do it! If you modify as necessary, I say you will be fine. There are long rest periods in the set, if I recall correctly.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-21, 10:36 AM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Well, I'll be 60 this year, and have thought of getting rid of my STS set, too! I did the full rotation when it came out, and that was quite a commitment from me! Since then, it has sat on my shelf.

I will say, I have never lifted anywhere close to what Cathe lifts. I'm an intermediate exerciser, but I like strength training workouts. I need to make the workouts work for me, if I'm going to purchase them, and then use them.

I have some Cathe workouts, I've never even done. But, back in the day, I'd get the whole shebang during the presale!

For myself, I'm not quick to get rid of workouts. I may come around again and try it, and be really thankful that I have it. Even if I have to reduce the poundage that is lifted, eliminate certain exercises, or reduce the time I workout.

The biggest problem for me is getting through all the workouts that I have. Can I do it in this lifetime? Maybe not.

My other problem is I just don't like hour long workouts anymore. Thankfully Cathe has premixes with most of her workouts, though some of those are longer than the original workout.

If it were me, I would pull it out and use it again. Ahem, yeah I should do that. Then, I'll know for myself.

I like Linda's idea of doing a week on/and a week off. Or, two weeks on, etc. You can shorten the rotation if you find you prefer one meso over another, too! And, add some of your favorite non-strength workouts on alternate days so you enjoy the process.

It also might be helpful if other VFers wanted to do the rotation with you? Maybe there will be some folks and a check-in can be started, if there is interest?

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-21, 10:53 AM  
alisoncooks

I think it sounds like an amazing goal...but only if you want to and it sounds enjoyable to you. I wouldn't bother out of a feeling of obligation or guilt (i.e. from never using the set).

It certainly is a long, strenuous commitment. Kudos to you for even contemplating it (at any age)!
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-21, 11:44 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I did my version of STS way back when. I skipped Meso 1 (and the Fit Test thing or whatever it was) and started with Meso 2 and then on to Meso 3. It is one of the few rotations I've actually completed.

I enjoyed it at the time. I used a weighted vest to add weight if my hands/arms got tired. I liked lifting very heavy and having proper rests in between sets.

I'm not sure I have the patience anymore for such long workouts. At least with P90X, you can figure out halvsies for most of the workouts.

I do remember being surprised that, although I was lifting way heavier than I had in my life, I still could not do a pull-up or push-up after the rotation.

Anyway, I'd say give it a shot. You can always trade later.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-21, 12:20 PM  
Fitstick

I also have STS sitting on the shelf and never done a rotation with it (I’m not big on rotations).

I say do it your own way if you want to try it, why not. Do what works best for you!
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-21, 12:28 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Do it! Do it! Do it!
STS is amazing and age has absolutely nothing to do with it! Lift what you can. That's the beauty of this program. You figure out what your one rep max is and choose your weights accordingly.

I usually just do the 3 month rotation with the strength work 3 days a week. Then I do cardio 2 days and rest 1 or 2 days (not counting yard work).

Modify when you need to. And you might be surprised you can lift heavier than you thought.

GREAT program! As you can see from my signature line, I've done the rotation 3 times. I also pick out single workouts occasionally just because the splits are that good. IMHO.

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-21, 02:32 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Smile

Kate, so tell us do you like STS?
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-21, 01:19 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
Kate, so tell us do you like STS?
I don't know...I had to do it three times to be sure!

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathe sts, sts