Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-09-20, 06:00 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
geojill - very good advice about walking and getting out in the sun....I struggle w/ that b/c of my work demands (not to self - do not work for a public health department during a pandemic!) - over the summer I was able to go walking after work but now it is dark. I do try to get out when I can - during the week and my DD and I do take a long walk on Sunday and a short walk on Saturday...so that is something....

And, Gams, I think exercise is not as important as what and how much you are eating....when it comes to weight loss.

Donna
Yeah getting out and walking is one key to my sanity. I still gained weight (I think I am afraid to weigh myself!) but that is mainly due to my eating. Getting out in the fresh air is critical for me. Today I walked 5 miles in the snow. It was rather nice actually and until the end it wasn't too cold.
I also do strength training of some type but am floundering around trying to find a program to follow right now.
I also wanted to mention that even if you are going outside and it is sunny, there might not be enough light this time of year for mood regulation. I think it's not as bright or high in the sky or something at least in the north. Last year I got a light box and it took a few weeks but it got me out of a pretty bad case of winter blues. I started again with it this week as a precaution because I was starting to get irritable.
Donna, Thank you for your service as a public health worker.
Leslie
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-20, 06:05 PM  
donnamp

Leslie - I'm just a contract/procurement manager - I put the paperwork together but I don't provide direct services...now, they deserve special kuodos. I'm just safely behind the scenes at home!!
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-20, 06:06 PM  
donnamp

Did it snow in NJ already??? Gosh, it is hard to believe it is December. I feel like this year has been one long day....

Donna
Old 12-09-20, 06:13 PM  
sherry7899

[QUOTE=donnamp;2901824]Did it snow in NJ already??? Gosh, it is hard to believe it is December. I feel like this year has been one long day....

We had flurries that melted, but they were coming down for awhile.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-20, 08:40 PM  
gladgirl

pharma_gal right there with you.
Work is stressful. I go in every day. By the time I get home I am so tired, worn out that I don’t feel like doing anything. I am also so dang tired getting up early hasn’t worked thus far.
Thanks for asking the question.

I am going to start again...using the JessicaSmith walk strong 1 and 2 rotation. And, of course, am cleaning up and tweaking my food. I hope as I start feeling better to get my workouts done early before work.

Best of luck to you and let us know how you’re doing.
gladgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-20, 01:03 AM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

I live in sunny Northern CA and still got a Circadian Optics Luxe lightbox as I anticipate shorter and rainy days ahead -- not sure if it will help, but it doesn't seem to harm and it has the possible added bonus of helping with jet lag if and when we can travel again! Agreed that it's a combo of what I eat + drink and how much I exercise. I must admit I've been a bit more lax on the former (especially with my "lunch dates" with my son since he has been vacillating between in-person and distance learning depending on what is happening at school and in the county + an extra glass of wine with hubby in the evening) and the latter has been suffering since I no longer can rely on my walk/bike + bus/train commute to get me a lot of active minutes (which were combined with yoga + weights + hiking). I am doing more aerobics workouts in the mornings to get my steps/cardio in so definitely not doing as much yoga (which is great for stress relief and mobility!) And I'm trying to amp up my strength training so each session is maximum bang for the buck... which leaves me pretty sore. I definitely am feeling the "COVID five" in my jeans (not that stretchy) and on the scale -- sigh
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-20, 07:11 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Pahla B has been recommended - here's a link to her Weight Loss Challenge on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-U8...=PahlaBFitness

and here's a link to her weight loss booklet: https://pahlabfitness.com/weight-loss-over-50/

She does talk A LOT, which I thought I would hate, but I've actually gotten used to her chatter and I miss her if I don't do her workouts periodically. This program, combined with a diet change, is what I used successfully to lose my weight. I would say 95% of my success was because of diet, but Pahla helped me figure out the diet aspect and how to adjust my exercise so that I wouldn't sabotage my weight loss.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-20, 11:12 AM  
donnamp

I swear I don't work for Pahla B or get any kickbacks from her, but I really think she is worth listening to if you are on a weight loss/stress reduction journey.

Even if you don't enjoy her workouts - she does have Podcasts and Q&As that have good information - not only about weight loss and fitness, but also about other "mindset" issues - like setting goals, dealing with grief, etc.

Like Carol, I never thought I would enjoy her style - but I do miss her if I don't workout w/ her a few times a week and at least for the moment I'm thinking about doing her January Program in the new year and focusing in on improving my diet and reducing my work-from-home snacking habits...

It would help if we would stop ordering the trail mix and peanut butter M&Ms, lol!

Donna
Old 12-10-20, 11:34 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharma_gal View Post
I am looking for an intermediate program to follow because I do well with systems/rotations.
couple of questions - you're a long-time VFer and i am guessing have had successes in the past! of course!

- Do you want to do something you already own or buy something new?
- what have you used in the past?
- what non-Cathe systems do you still own?

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-20, 12:31 PM  
gladgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
I swear I don't work for Pahla B or get any kickbacks from her, but I really think she is worth listening to if you are on a weight loss/stress reduction journey.

Even if you don't enjoy her workouts - she does have Podcasts and Q&As that have good information - not only about weight loss and fitness, but also about other "mindset" issues - like setting goals, dealing with grief, etc.

Like Carol, I never thought I would enjoy her style - but I do miss her if I don't workout w/ her a few times a week and at least for the moment I'm thinking about doing her January Program in the new year and focusing in on improving my diet and reducing my work-from-home snacking habits...

It would help if we would stop ordering the trail mix and peanut butter M&Ms, lol!

Donna

Thank you for sharing.
gladgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diabetes, pahla bowers, rotation, rotations, success stories, successful weight loss, system, systems, weight loss