Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-19-21, 05:38 PM  
annette
VF Supporter

In the last few weeks I've read two books by Kelly Rimmer - Truths I Never Told You and The Secret Daughter. I really like her writing style; just enough description without going overboard and lots of dialog. My library doesn't carry any other of her books so I'm a bit bummed. I'm trying not to purchase new books and don't like using the Kindle. Audio books are not my thing either. Wish I wasn't so attached to having an actual book in my hands.
annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-21, 09:21 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
My fave series. It goes to some dark places, but man. It hits the heart.
I finished it! And what an excellent book it was. It does go to some dark places, but there is always hope somewhere and good people among the bad. My library doesn't have these books, so I logged onto abebooks.com and ordered the third book! You have made some great recommendations to me, Alison, and I appreciate it.

I also read Rescue at Los Banos, another good book. It was a true story of a rescue of civilian internees from a Japanese internment camp in the Philippines during WWII.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-21, 02:04 PM  
JBliff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
Can any of you fantasy lovers help me stop going crazy with a vague memory:
  1. The protagonist is female.
  2. There is something - I think a doppelganger but maybe called something else.
  3. This doppelganger or whatever is named May, or Maye or some similar spelling. I listened rather than read so never knew how her name was spelled.
  4. May developed a unique personality and I think this was unusual for this type of creature.
  5. I think the protagonist and May looked exactly alike, and May just showed up a the front door one day.
  6. I think it is a Fantasy Series. None of my series in my audible account have any character like this, so maybe I listened to it on CD back when vehicles still had CD players - or maybe I just dreamed all of this up and there is no such series with any human-looking creature named May
I don't know if you ever got a response, but it sounds like the Toby Day series by Seanan McGuire. Toby has a "fetch" (something created to help Toby after her death) called May who is her exact duplicate and has all Toby's memories. The Toby Day series is one of my favorite fantasy series.
JBliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-21, 08:44 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

In "real" books, I'm reading:

Under Occupation by Alan Furst, a good mystery/suspense author of books set during World War II before it became a trend.

The Sowing Season by Katie Powner, a faith based novel about a retired guy and a teenager who find friendship and help each other.

In electronic form, I'm reading:

Elastic Habits - A good book on building effective habits by Stephen Guise.

What Once Was True by Jean Grainger - The first in a series by this author. I like her books and this one is a good one about two families at the onset of World War II.

Home Fires Burning: Spitfire Down! by S Block - Home Fires Burning was a TV show on PBS that wasn't renewed after the latest season ended in a cliffhanger. When viewers screamed in protest, the creator of the show wrote several books to continue the story. I may have waited too long before starting these because I'm having a hard time remembering the characters, but we'll see how it goes.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 02-24-21, 09:02 AM  
alisoncooks

I'm amazed at y'all who can read multiple books at a time. I can't do that!

(Currently, I'm reading nothing because I'm binge-watching Agents of Shield. Apparently, I can only focus on one thing at a time!)
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-21, 09:04 AM  
Carol K

I'm waiting for A Woman's Courage, the third book in the Home Fire series to come out in paperback. Just finished Magic Lessons by Alice Hoffman. Not the tear-jerker that Rules of Magic was, but very satisfying and sets us up for the last book of the series that is coming out in the Fall. Meanwhile, the person who has had Bella Poldark checked out, four months overdue, finally returned it and I will start that today.
Old 02-24-21, 09:09 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Allison, I never used to be able read multiple books at once! I don't read multiple novels, but I can read a novel and non-fiction at the same time. I'll usually have one lying around to read during the day and another to read before bed; that separation seems to work.

I finished THE HUSBAND'S SECRET. I think I mentioned that I was ready to be annoyed if the "secret" wasn't revealed until the very end, but it was about 1/3 of the way, so I accepted that. The book was very engrossing and I did like all of the ethical speculations that it brought up. However, I didn't enjoy it quite as much as THE HYPNOTIST'S LOVE STORY - I really liked that one mainly b/c it was so sweet and uplifting. Does Moriarty have more novels along those lines?

I started a new non-fiction last night (after finishing the memoir LAUGHING WITHOUT AN ACCENT, sequel to FUNNY IN FARSI), Sylvia Boorstein's PAY ATTENTION, FOR GOODNESS SAKES. I really liked her down-to-earth, sweet yet humorous approach in the last book I read from her (IT'S EASIER THAN YOU THINK).

I'm going to stop at the library today and think I will pick up Stephen King's THE INSTITUTE.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-21, 01:52 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
I'm amazed at y'all who can read multiple books at a time. I can't do that!

(Currently, I'm reading nothing because I'm binge-watching Agents of Shield. Apparently, I can only focus on one thing at a time!)
Alison, like Toaster, I can read multiple at once if I have different context for them -- one audible, one an actual book, or one fiction, one nonfiction. But recently, because I had books due that I wanted to get through I did have two fiction audio books going at the same time, plus reading a nonfiction actual book. I had to separate when I listened to the fiction -- one was while I was doing chores around the house during the daytime, and the other one was just as I was falling asleep at night in bed. I didn't care as much about the second one, so it was ok if I missed a bit of it here and there. Well, and truthfully, I decided on the experiment because I was about to give up on that second one but because people kept talking about the author I decided I had to give it a little bit of a chance.

The books in question, if you're curious...... #1 was The Devines, #2 was Party of Two, and the non-fiction which is going to take me forever to get through is Godel, Escher, Bach.
Old 02-24-21, 04:24 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I can read multiple fiction books at one time if they are different genres - historical fiction vs. mystery vs. fantasy vs. etc. The difference between fiction and non-fiction for me often is less of a contrast because my favorite fiction genre is historical fiction and my favorite non-fiction theme is historical stories. For example, I recently read (one after the other, not at the same time) a historical fiction book about people held in a Japanese internment camp in China during WWII and a non-fiction book about the rescue of people from a Japanese civilian internment camp in the Philippines during WWII. Reading them at the same time would have been an overload.

I have a low threshold for boredom, and I think that's part of the reason I read multiple books at a time. Also, I read pretty quickly, so it's not a big deal to stretch out a book by reading multiple books at a time.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 03-01-21, 07:09 PM  
difit

Winter reading has moved to a new thread
http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...87#post2914487
difit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, reading, winter reading