Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-06-19, 04:21 PM  
Sollamyn

I Feel Alive!

Short version of a longer story: Last Saturday, I thought I was either coming down with something or I had seasonal allergy symptoms flaring up. On Monday, still not feeling well, I googled and decided I had a cold. No fever--until Tuesday afternoon, when it came on with a vengeance! My temperature went from normal to 103.8 in a matter of a few hours. Scary!! Anyway, I got medical assistance and all is well now, if not quite 100% just yet. I just got out of the shower, though, and, wow, do I feel better!

Now, here's what I'm thinking: While it was happening, I wondered if I would come out alive from that situation. I had never had a fever that high (that I know of) and I felt alone and scared. After the crisis was over, I thought about many things--what if this..., what if that... Then, I decided that this is the time to pick myself up and get things done in my life! Well, not today. But when I'm feeling myself again.

Has anybody else had an experience like that? Did your plan stick? There are so many things waiting to get done in my life and I just need to start somewhere. I can't sit around hoping I can accomplish something without acting on it. I don't want to wait until it's too late.

That being said--I'm thinking about doing Jessica Smith's Under the Weather YT workout tomorrow morning, to get me re-started with exercise.

Thanks for listening!

Donna
Old 06-06-19, 04:55 PM  
sillygirl

Nothing like being sick to make you appreciate it when you’re healthy! I’m glad you’re feeling better!
sillygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-19, 06:01 PM  
Gams

Yeah, I have cancer and every time I go in for a check up or have some kind of symptom, I wonder. But I tell myself not to borrow trouble and to deal with things as they come along and just enjoy life in the moment.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-19, 06:54 AM  
hocuspocus

Yes, I had HELLP Syndrome with my youngest child's pregnancy. I will never doubt how fragile life is and I will enjoy every day, good or bad.
hocuspocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-19, 07:51 AM  
alisoncooks

I was DH's only caregiver when he was going through chemo, and I wasn't taking care of myself. Then I tore my ACL and had to have surgery. Talk about a wake up call! All I wanted was to be well and able to move normally!

More recently, I've been dealing with some mystery health issues. It has renewed my motivation to be the healthiest I can be, even within current limitations.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-19, 05:04 PM  
donnamp

I just had a similar experience, not really life threatening, but a wake - up call and also a reminder to not take good health for granted.

Last week I was experiencing some issues with my eye - after several trips to several doctors (urgent care, PCP and finally, eye dr) it was determined that I had, get this SHINGLES in my eye. I never expected that.

Fortunately, I'm on anti-virals and I am starting to feel better already. But i now know I have not been taking good care of myself. I have been stressed about work, doing too much at home and at work and in life and not eating right or getting enough sleep. So, i really need to make some lifestyle changes. I don't want something like this again (and shingles can strike more than once). I'm leary about the vaccine b/c I have had bad reactions to the flu vaccine, but I'm going to talk to my dr. about it.

I also really have a better appreciation for how good it feels to feel well and be able to have energy and do things. While I'm not bed ridden from this, I am very tired and not quite myself.

I'm taking at least a week off from exercise to rest and besides the anti-virals make me a bit dizzy, so probably best not to do formal workout.

Bottom line - I can relate - health is not something to be taken for granted and we have to work to protect it - even if it means saying no to an invitation, or leaving work when there is still plenty to do, or leaving your house messy in exchange for some down time, etc.

BTW, I'm only 51, but I know of people my age and younger who have had shingles, so it is possible to get it even at a "younger" age.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-19, 05:53 PM  
geojill

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
BTW, I'm only 51, but I know of people my age and younger who have had shingles, so it is possible to get it even at a "younger" age.
Donna, you’re right. My husband had shingles about 2 years ago at the age of 44. We were shocked, and he said it was so painful! I cannot imagine having it in your eye. Rest up and take care of yourself.
Old 06-12-19, 06:14 PM  
donnamp

Jill - my DH got shingles in his 30's He was working a night shift and not sleeping. A co-worker of mine is a few years older than me and she has had it TWICE. This is not something I would want to have twice for sure. Because I got on the anti-virals fairly soon, I think my pain is less than it could have been. And the rash isn't spreading, so that is good. Hope to be feeling much better in a week.......

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-19, 06:41 PM  
LeslieM
VF Supporter

My husband had a lawn tractor accident 2 years ago that could easily have killed him. He was 67. He broke his leg but recovered fully because it was a clean break and he was in good physical shape. We continue to exercise and try to keep moving forward with our goals and healthy habits. We're not perfect (me for sure!) but that wake up call was a big motivator.
Old 06-12-19, 07:22 PM  
desertMermaid

desertMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gratitude, inspiration, motivation