Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-11, 01:19 PM  
Danielle*
VF Supporter

Here's another blog post from Katy that has more ways to prepare for a squat, especially if you have knee pain:

http://www.alignedandwell.com/?p=148...ess&Itemid=223

Danielle
Danielle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-11, 01:50 PM  
Sophie

thanks for this, Danielle! I hadn't seen this one before. I clipped it to send to my Kindle

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-11, 02:09 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby View Post
SusanP, we were posting at the same time only you said it better!

Pam
haha, ONLY if you like run-on sentences, Pam!
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-11, 04:42 PM  
Sara1000

I totally agree with Jenilu that Kegel type contractions have an important time and place - I'm not sure if that precisely what a Kegel is but I'm sure they are very good for keeping strong and fit 'down there' for certain activities.

I used that title because it seemed to be a striking way to draw attention to the situation - if someone can think of a better title I will be happy to change it.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-11, 07:34 PM  
Donna D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie View Post
Donna, I was hoping you'd see this! thanks for the direct link!
You're welcome!
Donna D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-11, 07:48 PM  
Donna D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle* View Post
The entire squat sequence isn't on any of Katy's DVDs that I have which are Fix Your Feet, From the Shoulders Up, Knees and Hips, Down there for Women, My Hands Hurt, and Biomechanics for Bad Backs. The first 2 exercises of the squat sequence (the calf stretch and double calf stretch) are on several DVDs (see Donna's chart for details).

Danielle
I had purchased the Gaiam Restorative Exercise for Foot Pain Kit
http://www.gaiam.com/product/restora...ot+pain+kit.do

with Katy Santiago Bowman. With the purchase of this kit you received the half dome, which she uses for the calf stretch. The stretch is quite intense. Katy states on several of her DVDs that if everbody could do just one exercise, this would be it - the calf stretch.

I'm glad to see that Gaiam is carrying this kit again - for a while it had been discontinued.
Donna D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-11, 09:03 PM  
Pam

Donna -- I 2nd your recomendation about Katy's Restorative Exercise for Foot Pain Kit. I was alternating days doing this DVD and Jill Miller's 10 minute Ankle workout this summer. Eventually I was doing both of them with weights on my foot or ankle. I like to do long hikes and my ankle use to hurt ( a # of spains in the past) by the end of the hike, but no longer, no pain and it feels much stronger. Hopefully no more spains in my future either!
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-11, 09:05 PM  
Pam

For the people that have mentioned Yamuna Knees DVD and Jill Miller's Kneehab DVD(which I have), what does Yamuna Knees DVD have that Kneehab doesn't? Why should I purchase Yamuna's well?
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-11, 09:05 AM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D View Post
With the purchase of this kit you received the half dome, which she uses for the calf stretch. The stretch is quite intense. Katy states on several of her DVDs that if everbody could do just one exercise, this would be it - the calf stretch.
do you know why it's so important to stretch the calf muscles? That statement suprised me and it's the one muscle I tend to overlook a lot when I stretch. Does it have anything to do with knee or ankle problems? Thanks!
eyefit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-11, 09:43 AM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

okay, I just read that last article link and answered my own question. Wow, every muscle in the lower body contributes to knee health. It makes so much sense. This is one of the times when I am soooo grateful I found this forum! So much great information!
eyefit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garland pose, katy bowman, kegels, malasana, squat depth, squats