Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-26-11, 09:38 AM  
Danielle*
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamgal View Post
Thank you Danielle! Good to know that I should dedicate a few weeks to the first few exercises. DH was telling me last night not to get into the squat if I felt like my knee couldn't handle it, but I am stubborn. So, now I will take it easy and work up to the squat based on your advice. I have the Yamuna knees dvd and will start working with that this weekend.
Jennifer, listen to your body. It's OK to work with the first few exercises for months if that's what you need. It's a progression and you will get there, be patient. I think the Yamuna knees DVD is terrific, hope you like it, too.

Danielle
Danielle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-11, 09:46 AM  
Castella

The tips on rotating the thighs inward and making the adjustment at the hip while moving the sit bones back to move the feet into parallel position are really helpful! I'm not convinced I'm doing it right or that I have enough flexibility in the hips to do it right, because when I try this my back tends to round which would be the opposite of what Katie's going for, right?

I find Katie fascinating, but it would be nice to have very concise instructions and form pointers. Would those who have the DVDs say that the instruction is to-the-point and easy to follow? I like knowing the logic behind the recommendations, but when it comes to actually trying to do the exercise, I really just want to hear what to do without getting lost in the whys and wherefores.
Castella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-11, 10:00 AM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamgal View Post
DH was telling me last night not to get into the squat if I felt like my knee couldn't handle it, but I am stubborn.
As someone with ongoing and recurring knee issues, I can't say this enough - it's not worth it to be stubborn when your knees are talking to you! They're the most complex joint in the body IMO and really need to be treated with respect. Danielle is right - when Katy talks about a progression, she's talking about months to even years - not within an exercise session. Patience, grasshopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castella View Post
I find Katie fascinating, but it would be nice to have very concise instructions and form pointers. Would those who have the DVDs say that the instruction is to-the-point and easy to follow? I like knowing the logic behind the recommendations, but when it comes to actually trying to do the exercise, I really just want to hear what to do without getting lost in the whys and wherefores.
The instruction in the DVD's are very detailed. She starts off with the whys and wherefores, but once she moves onto the exercises, sticks to form pointers. If the back is rounding in the squat, your options are to 1) don't go down as low, or 2) elevate the heels. The hamstrings need to be quite long to allow the neutral spine here, so elevating the heels takes the stress off them.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-11, 10:01 AM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby View Post
Thanks Sophie, Jill uses it in Hip Helpers too, I think.

Pam
Whoops, Hip Helpers is what I was thinking of. I keep forgetting what I've seen on which DVD!

KarenJo, thanks for the pointer toward's Jill Miller's comment. Here's the archived article (interview with the Kegel Queen) if anyone wants a look. As mentioned in the earlier thread, it's no much that Katy is anti-kegel per se, more that she feels they address a symptom rather than the root causes.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-11, 10:04 AM  
Danielle*
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castella View Post
The tips on rotating the thighs inward and making the adjustment at the hip while moving the sit bones back to move the feet into parallel position are really helpful! I'm not convinced I'm doing it right or that I have enough flexibility in the hips to do it right, because when I try this my back tends to round which would be the opposite of what Katie's going for, right?
Yes, you want to keep your tailbone from tucking which it probably is if your back is rounding.

Quote:
The exercises in Katie's DVDs are easy to follow. You can see clips of many of the exercises at http://www.alignedandwell.com/index....2107&Itemid=92 to get more of a feel for how Katie instructs.

The entire squat sequence isn't on any of Katy's DVDs that I have which are Fix Your Feet, From the Shoulders Up, Knees and Hips, Down there for Women, My Hands Hurt, and Biomechanics for Bad Backs. The first 2 exercises of the squat sequence (the calf stretch and double calf stretch) are on several DVDs (see Donna's chart for details).

Danielle
Danielle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-11, 10:11 AM  
Keepfitgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie View Post
yes, it's possible squats aren't actually on the DVD's - oddly enough it's not even on the "down there" DVD.

The pelvic list is a standing exercise with one leg on the block. Here's a clip:Pelvic list.

It also shows up in Jill Miller's Quick Fix and YTUAH work.

Donna, I was hoping you'd see this! thanks for the direct link!
Yes, I got the "down there" DVD thinking that she would talk about squats in some detail and demonstrate the correct way of doing one, but they aren't mentioned. I was a bit disappointed about that. The other info and exercises on it are good though.

Emma
Keepfitgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-11, 11:53 AM  
JENILU

I only had time to read part of this, and scan the article. Am I getting that kegels are unhealthy? i know this id TMI so I'll warn you now, but kegels are awesome during intercourse! They have helped so much to keep things good at my age and after kids. My man braggs about the "muscle" at work. (yes, that embarresses me and I don't approve, but that is how well kegels work for me). I do believe I have strong butt muscles. Mine is too big, but i can single out and squeeze each butt cheek, etc, with not much problems. I do have a curve in my spine, but its been hurting a bit lately.
I do regular squats all the time, not exactly deep ones though.
Do I need to stop kegels? please say no..
(and I don't mean at all for this to be a vulgar post, but for me, it was important to the topic. I am sorry if I missed something being in a hurry)

Thankyou for the thread!
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-11, 12:56 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

The point isn't that you need to STOP doing Kegels, only that you need to make sure you are ALSO strengthening the opposing muscle group, which happens to be the glutes.

As an example, if most people overworked chest, and overworking the chest caused an injury due to imbalance because they were NOT working their back, you might say "STOP WORKING YOUR CHEST!" but what you would really mean is, "please work your back in balance with your chest or you are going to create all kinds of problems for yourself!"

If you are not having pelvic floor issues (stress incontinence, specifically), you are probably already working your pelvic floor and your glutes with some kind of balance.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-11, 01:03 PM  
Dobby
VF Supporter

I think Katy's point is that Kegels don't really help with stress incontinence. She doesn't really address the...uh....pleasure aspects. If it's making you all happy, you shouldn't change a thing, except maybe to add her squats!

I had forgotten about her directions for working into squats. I was able to do some last night by standing perpendicular to a door and holding on to the knobs. That gave me better stability than the fluidity bar. I think I will go back to square 1 and start with her stretches.

Pam
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-11, 01:05 PM  
Dobby
VF Supporter

SusanP, we were posting at the same time only you said it better!

Pam
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garland pose, katy bowman, kegels, malasana, squat depth, squats