Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-20-22, 08:58 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Paine, I really liked The School of Essential Ingredients - so much that I put the sequel on reserve at my library! Just goes to show how our tastes are all so different.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-22, 01:13 PM  
DD546

I read Blackwood Farm by Anne Rice. I thought I had read all of her Vampire Chronicals, but somehow I missed this one and the follow up. I enjoy her writing, and her attention to detail. I also just finished The Dark Hours by Michael Connelly. This is the 4th book in the Bosch and Ballard series. It was a good storyline, but he very unnecessarily threw in some political comments and a lot of Covid references. In my opinion, this really detracted from the book and was superfluous. I'm now reading the final installment in Karen White's Tradd Street series. It's ok, but it seems like the series has played out, and I'm glad she's decided to end it. I think she's planning a spin off with one of the characters. I like Karen White, but I may stick to her stand alone stories in the future.
DD546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-22, 01:42 PM  
Carol K

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD546 View Post
I read Blackwood Farm by Anne Rice. I thought I had read all of her Vampire Chronicals, but somehow I missed this one and the follow up. .
Did you read the final chronicle, Blood Communion? And did you know that Anne Rice died in December? I just happened to see it in TV Guide this week.
Old 01-21-22, 02:43 PM  
DD546

Yes. I knew she died. I lived in New Orleans and knew some people who were in her fan club, so I had the pleasure of meeting her in person several times. She was a very lovely person. After I heard she passed away, I became nostalgic and considered rereading Interview With The Vampire, but then I saw Blackwood Farms, and I hadn't read it. I plan to read the follow up, which I believe is Blood Canticle. I liked how she incorporated the Mayfair Witches into the Vampire Chronicles in Blackwood Farm and that storyline continues into Blood Canticle.
DD546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-22, 02:44 PM  
patrice
VF Supporter

I just read The Outside Boy by Jeanine Cummins. So good.

Patrice
patrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-22, 03:15 PM  
Carol K

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD546 View Post
Yes. I knew she died. I lived in New Orleans and knew some people who were in her fan club, so I had the pleasure of meeting her in person several times. She was a very lovely person. After I heard she passed away, I became nostalgic and considered rereading Interview With The Vampire, but then I saw Blackwood Farms, and I hadn't read it. I plan to read the follow up, which I believe is Blood Canticle. I liked how she incorporated the Mayfair Witches into the Vampire Chronicles in Blackwood Farm and that storyline continues into Blood Canticle.
It seems like if I got a CNN news alert about Meat Loaf's death, I should have gotten one about Anne Rice. I wasn't that happy with Blackwood Farm and Blood Canticle (I didn't like what she did with the Mayfair witches and Taltos), but I enjoyed the last three books which really finalized the vampire saga. You probably know this, but the reason she was mentioned in TV Guide is because they're going to do a series adaption of the Vampire Chronicles and Mayfair Trilogy on the AMC channel. Unfortunately, I don't have cable.
Old 01-28-22, 10:23 AM  
Schnauzeritis

Just finished Survive The Night by Riley Sager. It was so preposterous in the beginning that I'm surprised I continued. I'm glad I did. I ended up enjoying this one.
Now I'm on to The Whisper Man by Alex North. I'm 45% in and am loving it. We're getting a snowstorm here on Long Island and I'm excited to workout and read all weekend.
Schnauzeritis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-22, 07:16 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

On my Kindle, I'm reading Sweets Forgotten by Connie Shelton. I like this mystery series and this book is typically good. And I just started This Rough Magic by Mary Stewart. I read this book decades ago when I was in high school or college. I'm enjoying reading it again.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-22, 09:01 PM  
Erica H.

I am reading Valerie Bertinelli's new book, "Enough Already." Usually I read a lot but this is my first book of the year because of my concussion that is finally improving. Nice to be able to read again.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-22, 09:23 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
I am reading Valerie Bertinelli's new book, "Enough Already." Usually I read a lot but this is my first book of the year because of my concussion that is finally improving. Nice to be able to read again.

Erica
Erica, I am so glad you can read again.

I bought an autographed copy of the book. Frank would have done that. He had a huge crush on her. I have not started it yet because I have a stack of library books I need to read first. I hope you enjoy it.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, reading, winter reading