Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-25-11, 10:49 AM  
Danielle*
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by in paris View Post
Danielle, do you know if there are any benefits to doing this in a turned-out position? Or does it have to be strictly parallel?
According to Katy, it looks like you should work up to parallel. Similar questions were asked in the comments of the blog post. I'll quote them here:

Sally says:
July 1, 2010 at 2:04 pm
I have a question…. I used to dance and Did from the age of 3 when I squat I do so with toes pointed out, knees over toes, it just feels natural for me, is it still correct?

Katy says:
July 5, 2010 at 3:21 pm
Sally, you can squat with your toes out, but to really get the knee, calf, lower leg and foot health to improve, the feet should point forward. You’ll probably have to elevate the heels for awhile before your lower leg stretches back to it’s best length! Good luck! – Katy

Ginger says:
August 9, 2011 at 4:15 am
I’m confused… Is it okay to squat turned out? I was having trouble staying parallel without my prego belly getting in the way. But I think as a former dance student that my turnout is coming all the way from my hips, not twisting my ankles/knees. This seems to be the natural position I use to squat down and get something.

Katy says:
August 9, 2011 at 5:45 am
It’s ok – and probably necessary – when you are super-prego, but the turnout is affecting how the tissues in the hips, knees and feet work. Once you’re not pregnant any more, it is time to undo the years of poor hip and lower leg alignment before long-term damage sets in! Congrats on your baby-to-be!

Debby says:
March 18, 2011 at 7:31 am
I think I lost my reply (sorry if I post it twice)

I have been trying to do more squating, but now I am 6 months pregnant with my 3rd, my belly is so huge that it is getting
difficult to have my feet facing forward while squating.

What to do?

Katy says:
March 18, 2011 at 6:03 pm
Hi Debby!
I can tell you — I totally get where you are right now…I’m 35 weeks myself!
Remember, it’s not your feet that are getting in the way of the belly, it’s the knees! Feel free to widen your knees — start with your feet out, and then if you can work on turning your feet more forward after a bit, do it in the order.

In the end, it’s most important to open the hips — the feet can be dealt with less intensely. Congratulations!

Katy

Danielle
Danielle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-11, 10:52 AM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie View Post
Re: feet turned out vs. in - in the absence of any bone-on-bone restriction, the general recommendation is to work towards keeping feet parallel - more involvement of inner thighs and rotators. But letting them turn out is more relaxing (at least for me). I can't remember what Katy specifically says about it, though. eta: Katy says keep foot bones parallel.
Yes, I think a lot of foot position is anatomically decided. My knees are seriously stressed by parallel feet -- even sustained a relatively serious knee irritation by forcing that issue a little too ambitiously. Tread carefully (sorry).
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-11, 10:54 AM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonNYC View Post
Yes, I think a lot of foot position is anatomically decided. My knees are seriously stressed by parallel feet -- even sustained a relatively serious knee irritation by forcing that issue a little too ambitiously. Tread carefully (sorry).
Agree completely. Following the thread and comments Danielle posted, I like the bottom line - allow the hips to take priority, then work on the feet. But with the caveat - as long as no stress is felt in the knees.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-11, 10:59 AM  
Danielle*
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by in paris View Post
Danielle, do you know if there are any benefits to doing this in a turned-out position? Or does it have to be strictly parallel?
Quote:
Agree with Danielle that Katy's DVD's are excellent, and it's important to note that:

1) they are rather short, and more intended as instructional rather than follow along (although you can, you would probably want to do more repetitions/hold for longer on your own)

2) there is some overlap of segments among DVD's - frex, if you have Knees and Hips and Down There, two exercises occur on both.

There was a discussion of this some time back and a poster (Donna?) made a useful table of what exercises show up on each DVD, but I can't for the life of me find her post. I hope she pops in here.

Re: feet turned out vs. in - in the absence of any bone-on-bone restriction, the general recommendation is to work towards keeping feet parallel - more involvement of inner thighs and rotators. But letting them turn out is more relaxing (at least for me). I can't remember what Katy specifically says about it, though. eta: Katy says keep foot bones parallel.
Sophie, I remember that discussion with the table that listed which exercises are on which DVD. I did a search and can't find the thread either.

Danielle
Old 08-25-11, 11:04 AM  
Danielle*
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonNYC View Post
Quote:
Agree completely. Following the thread and comments Danielle posted, I like the bottom line - allow the hips to take priority, then work on the feet. But with the caveat - as long as no stress is felt in the knees.

I agree with this as well.

Danielle
Old 08-25-11, 11:14 AM  
in paris

Thank you for that, Sophie

I'm not being cheap -- just can't get these DVDs until I'm in the States again.

And, yes, turned-out is *way* more relaxing for me which is why I asked. I could squat like that for a long time and be perfectly content. Should've known it wouldn't do me any good in this regard
in paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-11, 11:22 AM  
in paris

Ooooh, everyone was posting at once!

Danielle, thank you. I should have read the comments first, my bad...

Sharon, yes, I feel very stressed on my knees in the parallel position. I will do it turned out and see if I can slowly straighten... If not, I promise not to push it. My knees are far too cranky to risk it.
in paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-11, 12:10 PM  
Peggy T
VF Supporter

That's the position I assume when weeding.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Peggy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-11, 12:38 PM  
Non-Dancer

The chart of Katy Bowman's DVDs and exercises is on this thread:

http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=163826

It's in the first post by Donna D.

Apparently the Jill Miller thread changed course!

Linda
Non-Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-11, 12:50 PM  
Danielle*
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non-Dancer View Post
The chart of Katy Bowman's DVDs and exercises is on this thread:

http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=163826

It's in the first post by Donna D.

Apparently the Jill Miller thread changed course!

Linda
Thank you Linda!

Danielle

Tags
garland pose, katy bowman, kegels, malasana, squat depth, squats