Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-24-11, 09:19 PM  
IrishOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam View Post
I would like to see and maybe order her other DVDs as well. I was able to requested through interlibrary loan 5 of her DVDs that relate to issues I would like to deal with .
Pam, please share your thoughts on her DVDs after you are able to review them from interlibrary loan. There are a few I am interested in and would love your feedback before ordering.TIA

Kelly
IrishOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-11, 09:29 PM  
jerebo

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishOT View Post
Pam, please share your thoughts on her DVDs after you are able to review them from interlibrary loan. There are a few I am interested in and would love your feedback before ordering.TIA

Kelly
Same here!
Old 08-24-11, 09:31 PM  
jerebo

I can't do squats like the one pictured. Or rather, I can, but my heels come off the floor. I wonder where the problem is--calf flexibility? Hip mobility? Any thoughts on how to get my heels down?
Old 08-24-11, 09:33 PM  
Pam

I will be glad to share my thoughts on her DVDs that I am getting through interlibrary loan. Hopefully they will be in by the weekend.
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-11, 09:43 PM  
Castella

As a rep counter and form fanatic, I need specifics. I see that expecting moms should squat 3 times a day. I was thinking 10 x day would be good for me (not expecting but pelvic floor inadequacies).

Also, how long to stay in the squat position? Rise to a full stand then squat again?

I can get my heels flat but my spine is not as upright as in the picture shown. I feel like my spine is neutral but I'm leaning forward a little so that I don't tip backwards.

Miscellaneous aside: I've been on hold for 20 minutes now re my free ballet slipper order, supposedly I am number one in line. Maybe they just don't have reps at night?
Castella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-11, 10:44 PM  
glamgal
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castella View Post
Miscellaneous aside: I've been on hold for 20 minutes now re my free ballet slipper order, supposedly I am number one in line. Maybe they just don't have reps at night?
Sorry to veer off topic, but I need to know more about this free ballet slipper order.
Old 08-25-11, 04:46 AM  
goldillocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerebo View Post
I can't do squats like the one pictured. Or rather, I can, but my heels come off the floor. I wonder where the problem is--calf flexibility? Hip mobility? Any thoughts on how to get my heels down?
Yes I'd like to know too how to keep my heels down
goldillocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-11, 09:34 AM  
Danielle*
VF Supporter

Katy Bowman is great! I have some of her DVDs. I like them. Each DVD has 5 exercises as well as tips for addressing the particular condition of that DVD. The exercises are a separate chapter. There is some overlap with some exercises on multiple DVDs. I do her exercises regularly, but only occasionally with the DVD, mostly on my own throughout the day.

Here is Katy's progression for doing a squat:
http://www.alignedandwell.com/?p=131...ess&Itemid=223

Danielle
Danielle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-11, 10:30 AM  
in paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle* View Post
Katy Bowman is great! I have some of her DVDs. I like them. Each DVD has 5 exercises as well as tips for addressing the particular condition of that DVD. The exercises are a separate chapter. There is some overlap with some exercises on multiple DVDs. I do her exercises regularly, but only occasionally with the DVD, mostly on my own throughout the day.

Here is Katy's progression for doing a squat:
http://www.alignedandwell.com/?p=131...ess&Itemid=223
Danielle, do you know if there are any benefits to doing this in a turned-out position? Or does it have to be strictly parallel?
in paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-11, 10:45 AM  
Sophie

Agree with Danielle that Katy's DVD's are excellent, and it's important to note that:

1) they are rather short, and more intended as instructional rather than follow along (although you can, you would probably want to do more repetitions/hold for longer on your own)

2) there is some overlap of segments among DVD's - frex, if you have Knees and Hips and Down There, two exercises occur on both.

There was a discussion of this some time back and a poster (Donna?) made a useful table of what exercises show up on each DVD, but I can't for the life of me find her post. I hope she pops in here.

Re: feet turned out vs. in - in the absence of any bone-on-bone restriction, the general recommendation is to work towards keeping feet parallel - more involvement of inner thighs and rotators. But letting them turn out is more relaxing (at least for me). I can't remember what Katy specifically says about it, though. eta: Katy says keep foot bones parallel.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garland pose, katy bowman, kegels, malasana, squat depth, squats