Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-11, 02:40 PM  
glamgal
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam View Post
I would like to see and maybe order her other DVDs as well. I was able to requested through interlibrary loan 5 of her DVDs that relate to issues I would like to deal with .
Found these video samples on Katy Bowen's website. Not sure if they are clips of her dvd(s), but thought they might be of interest on this thread.

http://www.alignedandwell.com/index....2107&Itemid=92
Old 08-24-11, 03:37 PM  
DirtDiva

I'm not fond of kegals either.

When I first started jumping on my rebounder this summer with abandoned joy, I felt the pressure to run to the bathroom after five minutes, like clockwork. Now I don't, in fact I nearly bonked my head on the ceiling the other day and I still don't get the urge. I have a happy suspicion the rebounder is better then kegals too.
DirtDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-11, 03:46 PM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

There have been some good threads lately addressing Katy's method (and blog). Here's one of them, along with a link to the discussion re: kegels between Katy and the KegelQueen:

http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=168231
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-11, 03:50 PM  
momof10

Well, I never do kegels and I have given birth to 10 children and have never suffered from incontinence, ever, not even while a was pregnant. I can do 200 jumping jacks while sneezing and I have no leakage. I always attributed it to having such a strong pelvic floor. Now, I know that is why for sure. I am a squat queen, so there you have it. That article is so true for me. People would always ask me how I could do all those jumping jacks after having all those babies. I didn't get it back then, but over the years I have talked to many women with that problem. So everyone, keep squatting!!!!

Cheryl
momof10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-11, 03:57 PM  
psnave

Wow...that's a pretty good testimonial for squats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof10 View Post
Well, I never do kegels and I have given birth to 10 children and have never suffered from incontinence, ever, not even while a was pregnant. I can do 200 jumping jacks while sneezing and I have no leakage. I always attributed it to having such a strong pelvic floor. Now, I know that is why for sure. I am a squat queen, so there you have it. That article is so true for me. People would always ask me how I could do all those jumping jacks after having all those babies. I didn't get it back then, but over the years I have talked to many women with that problem. So everyone, keep squatting!!!!

Cheryl
psnave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-11, 04:54 PM  
Castella

I've never had any children, and I'm a pee-er And I do squats, have been doing them for about 10 years now.

I have a desk job and I am convinced that my chair is slowly eroding my glutes. I do exercises just for the glutes in addition to squats and lunges. Maybe I need to haul out the step again, because that always punched things up for me.

Kegels never helped. Does having a tipped uterus factor into any of this (yes, I am anatomically ignorant)?
Castella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-11, 06:31 PM  
desderata

I don't know -- never had peeing issues during or after any of my three pregnancies, but I do like squats and I do kegels regularly. There are other benefits to doing kegels regularly and keeping all those muscles strong, ahem.
desderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-11, 07:08 PM  
momof10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castella View Post
I've never had any children, and I'm a pee-er And I do squats, have been doing them for about 10 years now.

I have a desk job and I am convinced that my chair is slowly eroding my glutes. I do exercises just for the glutes in addition to squats and lunges. Maybe I need to haul out the step again, because that always punched things up for me.

Kegels never helped. Does having a tipped uterus factor into any of this (yes, I am anatomically ignorant)?
I think heredity can play a role in this problem, too. I don't know. I have had a tipped uterus since baby #1. Googling it can give you some information about the causes and how to prevent it.
Old 08-24-11, 07:09 PM  
momof10

Quote:
Originally Posted by desderata View Post
I don't know -- never had peeing issues during or after any of my three pregnancies, but I do like squats and I do kegels regularly. There are other benefits to doing kegels regularly and keeping all those muscles strong, ahem.
LOL!!! How true that is, the added benefits!!!

Cheryl
Old 08-24-11, 09:15 PM  
michl43

That's truly an enlightening article. I'm going to try to squats every day now.
michl43 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garland pose, katy bowman, kegels, malasana, squat depth, squats