Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-30-22, 05:36 PM  
JENILU

Confusion about Shoulder Issues and what to do?

i guess i am wanting stories from different ones who have experienced different shoulder issues and what you have done about them or to work around them? I don't think its wrong to hear your advice either because i have been given every diagnosis (lol, not every, but all different needs ).
I know there is shoulder impingement, rotator coff issues, bursitis, bicep tendonitis, and neck issues causing shoulder pain. Plus probably other things. I don't know if frozen shoulder is something else or another name for one of these.
Anyway, my story: Around 6 years ago (close to that), i had a cervical fusion of 4-6.Put that aside for the moment. i have been dealing with pain in 1 arm for over a year, realizing after several different diagnoses of what is happening now, it was probably bicep tendonitis, which I have in both now. First Xrays, I just went by that and went to PT and they just made me hurt worse all thru arms. (This was after I'd helped lift piupes off a high truck over my head that I had the xrays. There was a lot of inflammation thru whole body, as i also have a lot of autoimmune issues and any muscle or bone stress just flares me up all over). After that first 6 weeks of PT, I went back to Dr for more xrays and This Dr (she was a PA for the Spine and shoulder Drs there), she said I seemed to have a lot of shoulder inflammation and impingement- in both. So had another round of PT and ended up in even more pain. So they sent me for an MRI of both arms and to see how neck was doing because i'd had the fusion, and hubby's arms were what led them to know his neck was messed up. They confirmed the impingement, inflammation was not coming down, and bursitis (thats an old people word!!), She offered a block, and I mistakenly thought that would injure my kidneys further so I asked, just in case to see my old spine Dr. He got even more Xrays to go with my MRI based on my symptoms and found I had degenerated more above and below fusion and into my spine, the above and below disks were also bulged and it looked like my fusion never healed and had broken/loosened (think of it being there, but broken screws), he thinks because of my diabetes and high inflammation rate. I try to keep good control of blood sugar, I just have a body that likes to collect autoimmune diseases and cancer (I know I keep mentioning inflammation but that seems to be part of the big root in all this)
i am supposed to get a block Friday, in neck/ upper spine area. I don't know if this will help me use my arms at all. I have barely been able to lift them this year. I have used bands some, lifted very light weights a few times, when I can lift arms enough, I do some kettlebell swings because it seems to stretch me in the right places without hurting others. I have been kind of afraid a block would just make me injure myself worse if I don't know I am hurting myself.
because of the health issues and because my family's bones are basically powder and they have no muscle tone, its been the one thing I have been able to obsess about doing right for myself. I have a strong need to build strong muscle and bone. just not sure what to do anymore (I can't stretch enough to do yoga right now which I miss greatly, but down dog and deep stretches leave me in a lot of pain and that is not the world I know).

Just wondering what others that need to move (FEEL the need) to care for themselves(not athletic, its just important to me). What different issues you have and what you do to work around them? I was not trying to say all that to compare, I just don't believe I have all those things they have said and trying to narrow it down to what the problem actually is so I can work on it properly. I want my husband to get his other hip done before i have surgery, but I know its inevitable, and since i have to wait anyway, I want to do all I can to improve before then so I will heal easier when the time comes. (Its hard to look for this on youtube because each of the issues seem to have healing methods or work thru methods that would work against if I had another issue)

I thought a lot to write this because so many threads I have seen lately have people speaking of upper body issues of different sorts. maybe pussitng some of them together and seeing what you all do can help us? I don't know. Just hoping. Bless you all!!

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-22, 10:10 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

I had calcific tendinitis in one of my shoulders about 3 years ago. I was having this deep pain in my shoulder, especially at night. I went to an OS and they took X-rays and he could see the build up in my joint. He gave me a cortisone injection and told me they might have to do a “needling” procedure to break it up so my body could absorb it if it didn’t go away. But thankfully it healed on its own but it took months for the pain to go away.

About 18 months ago, my other shoulder started hurting something terrible! It got so bad I couldn’t move my arm without pain. I went back to the same OS and that time it was bursitis. He gave me a cortisone injection again and it healed pretty fast, within 2-3 weeks.

But each time I had to slowly build back up to using weights for chest and shoulder exercises again. I’m careful with repetitive motions with my shoulders, I’m pretty sure that’s what caused the bursitis. I was helping DH cut up tree branches after a storm.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-22, 02:49 AM  
JENILU

Both of us helping our DH's, lol! Did you mean dry needling or a medical procedure (the name escapes me right now!). i have had dry needling in my back a few years back and it was amazing for getting out knots. I tried it again during the first 6 wk period of PT this time and it did not have the same effect at all. Seemed to make it worse.

Thankyou so much for your story and the info! I am very encouraged that the block helped. I will do my best to be careful with too much repetitive motion. I don't THINK i do that to badly now anyway, but i haven't paid close attention either. When I hopefully can get back to weights, I guess i can go slower on the reps. Do you think the amt of weight mattered or the repitive motion alone or both?

Bless you!!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
Old 05-31-22, 09:15 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

It was this procedure he thought they might have to do if it didn’t resolve on it’s own:

“The most common and successful treatment for patients with calcific tendinosis is to use a needle to either suck the calcium out, called 'barbotage', or break the calcium up using 'dry needling'. This is carried out by a consultant radiologist using ultrasound to guide the needle into the calcium.”

For me, it was using a branch trimmer like this that caused the bursitis. I was cutting up branches non-stop for a couple of hours. The clipping motion and the force I needed for the larger branches probably was the cause. I woke up the next day unable to lift my arm:

https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-Garde...4006042&sr=8-5

The calcific tendinitis was out of the blue for me. The OS said it could have been an injury or overuse that caused the calcium deposits.

Good luck! I hope you get relief from your pain. Let us know how you do.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-22, 06:09 PM  
JENILU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy G View Post
It was this procedure he thought they might have to do if it didn’t resolve on it’s own:

“The most common and successful treatment for patients with calcific tendinosis is to use a needle to either suck the calcium out, called 'barbotage', or break the calcium up using 'dry needling'. This is carried out by a consultant radiologist using ultrasound to guide the needle into the calcium.”

For me, it was using a branch trimmer like this that caused the bursitis. I was cutting up branches non-stop for a couple of hours. The clipping motion and the force I needed for the larger branches probably was the cause. I woke up the next day unable to lift my arm:

https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-Garde...4006042&sr=8-5

The calcific tendinitis was out of the blue for me. The OS said it could have been an injury or overuse that caused the calcium deposits.

Good luck! I hope you get relief from your pain. Let us know how you do.
Thankyou! Dry needling was a life saver for knots I have had in the past that therapist would just make worse (they get excited when they find those guitar string knots and practically kill you) so I think they help that, but not always good for other issues I found.
now I have all kinds of unrelated questions, lol. I have calcium deposits everywhere in my body. Or calcification as they call it, but I never thought of it being due to over use. That makes sense in the ankle one. There are some near organs too tho, maybe its a protective strategy of the body from something (I always think this as I get a lot of cysts too, lol). my hubby has them in feet and knees. (he busted a bursa in 1 knee as well, and I had no idea you could do that).

I have to laugh, my husband just recently got me a trimmer almost just like that!! I have very lightly use it when able, mainly to clear my walking path), but unable to use it much right now. But I feel like a toughie when I do just because i don't know what to do with myself outdoors.

Thankyou so much for all the info! I hope more chime in explaining the different issues.

Old 06-01-22, 10:11 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I have had frozen shoulder in the past and it's mostly healed, but has taken a few years to get back to almost 95 percent or so. I really have to watch shoulder work and have to keep the weights light for Upper Body now. I am back to doing yoga and pushups again, with not much problem, but am still cautious and careful.

Three years ago I was helping my mom move and did a lot of really heavy lifting. I was also regularly using kettlebells and lifting fairly heavy-ish weight. With frozen shoulder you're unable to raise your arms up over your head without a great deal of pain. You lose that range of motion in the arm and can't extend that arm in yoga (triangle pose) for example. And, pushups require a lot of upper body arm/shoulder strength, which again is just too painful. No way could I knock out a dozen reps on my toes or knees! In the beginning it was painful to sleep on that side of the body, so I had to sleep on the opposite unaffected side. They say most people who get frozen shoulder have a high chance of getting it again or even on the other side. I hope not! :-(

I went to physical therapy for about three months and then did home exercises with bands/tubing when I could build up my strength again. You have to work your range of motion frequently and do a lot of stretching and fairly basic exercises to work back up again. I used one of those TENS electric pulse machines on that area, also.

As a side note, my DH has what is called Erb's Palsy. It is nerve damage of the upper arm(s) and is a birth defect from being yanked out of the womb by the neck so roughly that it causes permanent damage, in most cases. He has never been able to do a pushup, raise his arms fully over his head, and it's difficult for him to put his arm around me, if we're sitting side-by-side. His arms don't fully extend on either side of his body and he has a shortened range of motion, also. He has no feeling in his arm though and that area is numb. He doesn't feel an injection going into his arm or suffer the pain afterwards from being vaccinated. ;-)

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-22, 03:14 AM  
JENILU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam61 View Post
I have had frozen shoulder in the past and it's mostly healed, but has taken a few years to get back to almost 95 percent or so. I really have to watch shoulder work and have to keep the weights light for Upper Body now. I am back to doing yoga and pushups again, with not much problem, but am still cautious and careful.

Three years ago I was helping my mom move and did a lot of really heavy lifting. I was also regularly using kettlebells and lifting fairly heavy-ish weight. With frozen shoulder you're unable to raise your arms up over your head without a great deal of pain. You lose that range of motion in the arm and can't extend that arm in yoga (triangle pose) for example. And, pushups require a lot of upper body arm/shoulder strength, which again is just too painful. No way could I knock out a dozen reps on my toes or knees! In the beginning it was painful to sleep on that side of the body, so I had to sleep on the opposite unaffected side. They say most people who get frozen shoulder have a high chance of getting it again or even on the other side. I hope not! :-(

I went to physical therapy for about three months and then did home exercises with bands/tubing when I could build up my strength again. You have to work your range of motion frequently and do a lot of stretching and fairly basic exercises to work back up again. I used one of those TENS electric pulse machines on that area, also.

As a side note, my DH has what is called Erb's Palsy. It is nerve damage of the upper arm(s) and is a birth defect from being yanked out of the womb by the neck so roughly that it causes permanent damage, in most cases. He has never been able to do a pushup, raise his arms fully over his head, and it's difficult for him to put his arm around me, if we're sitting side-by-side. His arms don't fully extend on either side of his body and he has a shortened range of motion, also. He has no feeling in his arm though and that area is numb. He doesn't feel an injection going into his arm or suffer the pain afterwards from being vaccinated. ;-)
Oh my goodness bless y'all!! Yours sounds very similar to the shoulder part of mine. PT exercises just made it worse tho and inflamed it. Thankyou so much for explaining both of those and what works and doesn't. You and Kathy have been wonderful at helping me understand the differences in each type of shoulder issue (if that makes sense). There's so many and they seem to overlap!!

Old 06-02-22, 08:36 AM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Thank you, Jenilu!

It's a weird thing to wake up one day and just no longer have the ability to do (function) like you once did before injury. Everyone takes things for granted until you can't do what you once did. With frozen shoulder, the muscles, tendons, and joints are just locked up and stiff. You have to take baby steps, just getting back to normal. I also could have had cortisone injections, but did not do that.

I've also had Bell's Palsy for just over two years, which is nerve damage that affects facial functions (smiling, eyes, smell, taste, hearing.) It is said that this is brought on by high stress or that sometimes it just happens out of the blue, for no apparent reason. The most challenging (in the beginning) was having to tape my eyelid shut at night) because at first your eye doesn't close. You have to put goop in your eye each night so it doesn't dry out and use special eye drops. I also did some massaging of facial muscles, but wasn't as consistent with this. Today, my smile is at about 65-70 percent there. But (like frozen shoulder) my face doesn't have the movement that it had before, either. With Bell's it really takes a toll mentally, when you aren't able to smile at someone. With the pandemic, I could hide behind a mask and no one knew I had any issues.

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-22, 09:42 AM  
BunnyHop

Some time back I realized my shoulders were consistently achy, and my range of motion seemed less than it should be.

Generally speaking, I've found that using light clubs for a while seemed to help bring strength to my shoulders in a way that seems to have been lacking before.

A video on Youtube by Dr. Ben Kim was simple enough that I could do it every day, and the gentle consistency was a help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAo82Q7KTCk

FYI, I find my clubs easier to hold now that I've added some of that elastic-y stick to itself tape that removes easily. Increasing the diameter of the clubs just a little helped a lot.
Old 06-03-22, 01:01 AM  
JENILU

Pam, oh my heart is with you!! That positivity is awesome!! I am way too expressive - enough that boys and hubby have said "ok, just don't give me the look!!"

Bunnyhop, did you ever specifically find out what was wrong? I am finding that there are so many different possiblities and they each seem to have a different need (even rotator cuff issues can be confused with it). I am gonna look into the clubs. I have never used any. Is there some kind of sbsitute you can use when trying out the technique?

Bless y'all and have a beautiful night. Headed to get my block in the morning. Thank y'all!!

Tags
shoulder injury, shoulder pain